• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

bella might be sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellas momma

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maranda
First let me say I have no money none.. I had to miss eight days of work for my husband is very sick as some of you know.. all savings I had is gone to gas to take husband to all is treatments and bills.. i can only work part-time for I have to take care of him.

Bella today is sneezing and some clear liquid came out of her nose a few times.. I have been weighing her every morning this week and she was 72grams and this morning 71 grams.. Normally I would say it was water but she had just got up for the morning.. Her morning poop looked normal she did have one yesterday that was all liquid.. But the rest look ok..

Two weeks ago she was at 74 grams I was weighing her once a week before this week and she was always around 74 grams..

She is still eating and playing vocal as usual.. She has been having some plucking issues but she did last year at this time and I could take her to vet last year he said it was hormonal then..

I'm so worrried about her she is my baby I feel so bad that I can't take her right to the vet like I use to could..
Between all the bad news with my husbands health and now this I feel so helpless I can't do anything to help the loves of my life feel better..

Can anyone give me any advice I might just be over reacting but I always have tried to give her the best of care.

Is there something I can do at home for her.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I am going to move this to the 911 section where you may get help a little faster

I don't know what kind of relationship you have with your vet - would they work out a payment plan or at least talk to you on the phone about her?

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Sounds like the start of a respiratory infection...Cosmo went to the vet with that and was given a small dosage of Baytril for it. Although it seemed to have righted itself on its own before she even started taking the medicine.

What I would do is apple cider vinegar in her water. It has to be the unfiltered type to have benefits. Just put a dash of that in her water (and of course make sure she drinks the water throughout the day). Also, check for any drafts that could be reaching her and make sure that she stays warm.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
So so sorry this is happening to you and your dear husband poorly plus your bird also not too well. We can pass on our stresses to our pets through how we are feeling and a lot of that may be happening with your bird. If you are keeping it warm and able to feed it its usual diet , is that not helping at all?
We still have to care for our birds no matter what and sadly they do cost us money, not the cheapest pet to have. Hope things improve for you all very soon and then your pet will also be happier. God bless. :hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Do you have an avian vet?

Ginger

bellas momma

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maranda
I dont have a vet here I had one in utah... i keep her rm at 80 degrees now and 75 normally. I give her veggies daily and pellets daily and fresh water thru out day..
I know birds are high cost to care for and normally I have the means to care for her if she gets sick.. My husband though is very sick and all my funds are gone rt now.. I did get a number for a avain vet but she is from memphis 2hrs away and only in my area a few times a month. deffently not on weekends... I can try and get her in on monday but what do I do til then and if they dont take some type of payment plan then what. I want be able to get back on here for awhile for I have to take husband to treatment rt now.. Please know I'm doing all I can for her and want the best for her.

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
Please try the unfiltered apple cider vinegar...it helped so much in battling constant infections in my grey.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I dont have a vet here I had one in utah... i keep her rm at 80 degrees now and 75 normally. I give her veggies daily and pellets daily and fresh water thru out day..
I know birds are high cost to care for and normally I have the means to care for her if she gets sick.. My husband though is very sick and all my funds are gone rt now.. I did get a number for a avain vet but she is from memphis 2hrs away and only in my area a few times a month. deffently not on weekends... I can try and get her in on monday but what do I do til then and if they dont take some type of payment plan then what. I want be able to get back on here for awhile for I have to take husband to treatment rt now.. Please know I'm doing all I can for her and want the best for her.
I am so sorry your husband is ill - we know you are doing the best you can right now :hug2:

there is a program called CareCredit that some folks have used when their pets were ill

here is the link to some info in case you are interested

CareCredit Veterinary Financing for Pet Care, Pet Surgery, Vaccinations & Other Veterinary Medicine Procedures

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
Be sure to keep her really warm; that will help her also. If she's not warm enough her body will have to work harder to keep warm. Maybe put a heavy towel on top and 3 side of her. Hope all goes well, will be praying for Bella.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wishig you the best...I know how hard it is to have no money and be worried about a family member and your birds.....please keep us posted

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie

Or you can try Dr. Burkett in NC. I ask him questions all the time.

Ask the Board Certified <BR>Avian Veterinarian
Dr B is Howard's vet and he is great! When Howard ate my commercially grown roses on Saturday evening he took my call, told me what to look for and if I saw any symptoms to just call him and he'd meet me at the clinic.

The avian vet in Memphis might take your call and give you advice too.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Praying that the little one is ok.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
:hug8::heart::hug8:
I am so sorry you are going through such hard times now.... sending prayers up for your strength and your husband's and Bella's health :heart:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
This time of year the air starts to get really dry because of furnaces and heaters and cold air does not hold moisture like hot air does. The steamy bathroom that Danita suggested is a good idea but you should also try to raise the humidity around where Bella hangs out. If you don't have a humidifier you can put glass or steel jars of water on the heat ducts to evaporate the water into the air. You can also boil water on the stove or in an electric kettle.

The ACV will not work as well or as quick as real meds but it does work to clear up low grade infections. I mix it 10-15 drops in a large cup of water or 1 table spoon per quart of water.

bellas momma

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maranda
Thank you all for the help Sorry took awhile to get back on Husband had treatment and then he got sick and I had to go to work and leave my mom and aunt to watch him and bella tonight..
She tried the cider and I turned up the heat they said she was good all night no sneezing and eating and drinking I got home just awhile ago. I checked her out before putting her to bed I seen no drainage around nares and her poops looked good from the day and her crop was full.So i put her to bed She told me nighty nite pretty baby sleepy baby..

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am hoping Bella will be just fine.:hug8: I was thinking along the lines of what JL said about the heat possibly being on, and cooler temps making it dryer.
Sending positive healing energy, for Bella and for Hubby.:hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
You can also use a crock pot with water in it for a low tech humidifier. I put it on low, and leave the lid on but cracked a bit. It also helps warm up a room.

Ginger

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Healing thoughts and Prayers for Your Husband and Bella and a Huge :hug8: For You!

Status
Not open for further replies.