• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

bell ring-flight accident

Max83

Walking the driveway
Hi guys my cockatiel Mango is ok, it's only a post of "advise". Maybe someone else want to get rid of the bell!!!

Yesterday he was with me and my wife playing on the kitchen table after dinner, someone ring the bell and he got so spooked he directly flew in the window glass (yes, we have curtains). Luckily the window was not so far from him so he has not gained so much speed before the crash. He then dropped on the floor and my heart skip a beat a think. He has NEVER been clipped, he's with me in this house from when he was 3 weeks old but keep flying like crazy and sometimes crashing when something spooke him, but never happend so hard.

I'll take that damn bell out of the wall as soon has possible, I have a dog and his barking is enough for advise me that someone is at the door.

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My dogs are all the alarm I need, they make noise when they hear someone in the driveway and they only get louder and more serious as the person gets closer to the door. The only times they do not carry on like that about someone being outside is if they know who it is, then they cry and squeak or ask desperately to be let out so they can greet the person they know.
I would think that you could maybe desensitize the bird to the door bell, is that maybe something that is worth a try? To disconnect it would be a faster solution for you, so I totally understand doing that.
I actually got rid of ours because one of the kids in town used to have fun listening to the lovely sounds my door bell made (it had like seven different tunes). She would stand outside my house ringing my door bell non stop every school morning and afternoon until all the tunes had played at least once. If I went to answer the door she sometimes would ask to come inside to play and sometimes ask if I could just let her ring my door bell as she liked the sounds. After I got rid of the door bell she started doing this same sort of thing with my phone.....she liked my answering machine for some reason, lol.

Max83

Walking the driveway
My dogs are all the alarm I need, they make noise when they hear someone in the driveway and they only get louder and more serious as the person gets closer to the door. The only times they do not carry on like that about someone being outside is if they know who it is, then they cry and squeak or ask desperately to be let out so they can greet the person they know.
I would think that you could maybe desensitize the bird to the door bell, is that maybe something that is worth a try? To disconnect it would be a faster solution for you, so I totally understand doing that.
I actually got rid of ours because one of the kids in town used to have fun listening to the lovely sounds my door bell made (it had like seven different tunes). She would stand outside my house ringing my door bell non stop every school morning and afternoon until all the tunes had played at least once. If I went to answer the door she sometimes would ask to come inside to play and sometimes ask if I could just let her ring my door bell as she liked the sounds. After I got rid of the door bell she started doing this same sort of thing with my phone.....she liked my answering machine for some reason, lol.
ahahah oh in your case you're the one in fault, seven sound for a door bell would be a temptation even for an adult! strange you not ended up with a row of kids at your front door but only one :lol:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wow I am glad your birdie is ok! Ernie actually knows before the dogs that someone is coming to the door. He begins squawking, then the dogs bark. Then the obnoxious bell.