• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Behaviour experts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
No, no! I never do that when Eloy is in the same room. He is attacking Akela when she sits near him and playing on her own.
So Eloy has nothing to be jealous about because he is always the one on my shoulder getting all the attention when they are out together.

That's good. But that has a good possibility of changing. Akela is going to grow up and start to assert herself trying to establish her "place" in the flock. You do not want to favour one or the other. Your job is more that of a coach/leader/teacher. That is what works long term.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
When it comes to how birds interact with each other, the females are the ones that set the rules. Potential for conflict there because Eloy is "spoiled" and doesn't really know "bird" rules. She is young but again she will grow up.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Yep be careful, real damage can happen till they sort things out with each other. Nerd decided he hated Beeper the house finch and tried to get her any chance he could. I think he hated that she could fly better and faster then he could, and was taking daddies attention. Of course she was tiny and a completely different type of bird so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it too.
When Nerd had his brother they loved each other but squabbles still happened occasionally and Nerd got a toenail broken when nobody was around so maybe they got into a fight.
He never broke a nail again after that one time so probably something happened.
Haven't read the link and sounds like your on top of things so just have to see how things go as she becomes a adult.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
You do not want to favour one or the other. Your job is more that of a coach/leader/teacher. That is what works long term.
Yes I will do my best to be a good leader. :) That is the plan.
When it comes to how birds interact with each other, the females are the ones that set the rules. Potential for conflict there because Eloy is "spoiled" and doesn't really know "bird" rules.
That is what I'm hoping for. And yes, Eloy is very spoiled. (and very loved)
She is young but again she will grow up.
To read that really gives me hope, so thanks again! ♥
I was getting Akela so that they will bond and be a pair. I was thinking that we all will be a flock but they will always have each other when I'm not at home.
And to wait this long was never my plan.

Akela was ordered when Eloy was 1 year old. But the breeder only got one baby that year and it was a male, and none the year after. (we only have one breeder in Sweden, and Eloy is from Denmark and I don't want siblings. Maxis are very rare here.)
This year their was 3 babies, Akela and her two brothers. So we have been waiting for her a very long time.
The feeling I have felt the last weeks is that the waiting has been to long. Eloy and I have a very strong bond. He loves me so much, and that infact is only making me sad.
He should like me, and love Akela instead. She is a bird, and I'm not. I really hope that he will see himself as a bird again and realize that it's more normal for him to interact with Akela.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

InTheAir

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Claire
I hope they fall in love one day. If my ringnecks are anything to go by, once spring hormones start kicking in both birds found each other incredibly attractive and we were only good as food dispensers or perches to court on ;)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yes I will do my best to be a good leader. :) That is the plan.

That is what I'm hoping for. And yes, Eloy is very spoiled. (and very loved)

To read that really gives me hope, so thanks again! ♥
I was getting Akela so that they will bond and be a pair. I was thinking that we all will be a flock but they will always have each other when I'm not at home.
And to wait this long was never my plan.

Akela was ordered when Eloy was 1 year old. But the breeder only got one baby that year and it was a male, and none the year after. (we only have one breeder in Sweden, and Eloy is from Denmark and I don't want siblings. Maxis are very rare here.)
This year their was 3 babies, Akela and her two brothers. So we have been waiting for her a very long time.
The feeling I have felt the last weeks is that the waiting has been to long. Eloy and I have a very strong bond. He loves me so much, and that infact is only making me sad.
He should like me, and love Akela instead. She is a bird, and I'm not. I really hope that he will see himself as a bird again and realize that it's more normal for him to interact with Akela.

This is where your guidance comes in. Focus on games, eating, doing constructive things that don't involve any more bonding. You need to distance yourself from being seen like that so the other relationship has a better chance of succeeding.

CallmeSweetie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Andrea
promise that you'll keep us updated too, i love to hear about your two xx

Laurah

Avenue Veteran
Both my conures are going on 6 yrs old in May. They are barely friends. My male likes me and my female loves my bf. I never planned on breeding them anyway...

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
promise that you'll keep us updated too, i love to hear about your two xx
Today something unexpected happened.
Akela was to close to Eloy playing on the cage stand and he was running at her fast with open beak like he used to do. (and normal is that she flies away) But this time Akela went to "angry mode" (First time, fluffing her head feathers) and open her beak to him back. I really did believe that they where gonna fight so I demanded Eloy to back off. And he did :) and Akela was almost chasing Eloy away so I decided that it was time for me to trick train them. And they both liked that and become friends in 2 sec. (I always train them together)

But after I felt kind of proud of Akela. She is much smaller and so much younger but today she decided that she had had enough of Eloy being a Dictator. :D
I will see what happens tomorrow, but I will supervise them carefully when they are out together.

@JLcribber What to do next time? As I did or let them be and see if they will fight or not?

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! That sounds like an intense couple of minutes. Akela is a brave little Pi :xflove: I'm glad they were able train side by side after the confrontation :joyful:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Akela needs time to grow up and Eloy needs time to understand that she is NOT competition, but a friend.
Rocky and Tuffy lived together for several years then were separated, Rocky to one house and Tuffy to another. when they both ended up at my house they were no longer best friends for months. to the point I had to keep them in separate cages for a while. when they finally figured out that they could get along, they were back to BFF's and I was the cleaning lady. LOL

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Today something unexpected happened.
Akela was to close to Eloy playing on the cage stand and he was running at her fast with open beak like he used to do. (and normal is that she flies away) But this time Akela went to "angry mode" (First time, fluffing her head feathers) and open her beak to him back. I really did believe that they where gonna fight so I demanded Eloy to back off. And he did :) and Akela was almost chasing Eloy away so I decided that it was time for me to trick train them. And they both liked that and become friends in 2 sec. (I always train them together)

But after I felt kind of proud of Akela. She is much smaller and so much younger but today she decided that she had had enough of Eloy being a Dictator. :D
I will see what happens tomorrow, but I will supervise them carefully when they are out together.

@JLcribber What to do next time? As I did or let them be and see if they will fight or not?

You did good. When disputes break out, that is your signal to take charge of the situation and physically separate them if you have to. Even if it means you take the bite.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Glad no damage was done on either side and she's defending herself now. I took the bite for my vet one visit when Nerd wasn't happy about being grabbed. He latched onto her so I reached over and grabbed him before he got her badly, he of course was scared and upset so he bit the crap out me.
The lady vet said don't let him bite you, I said he's my bird so he can bite me but he's not allowed to bite you.
She then said the worst parrot bite she ever got was from a Maxi in vet school when he grabbed the side of her thumb and held on like a pitbull, she showed a bad scar there too.
It's part of the territory when having a feathered jungle creature as a family member, just hopefully not all the time.
Nerd later hid behind my neck as we talked and the last time she saw him before he died and was sick she was sad and said she remembered him as being a sweetheart which seemed strange considering but was a nice thing to say and most times he was a sweetheart, even at the vets.

Laurah

Avenue Veteran
My conures bite on a daily basis! Not my pit bulls but yes they all have the same grip and shake. My female conure hates the vet, had a similar experience. Yep our wild feathered creatures. In my opinion, can't tell a bird not to bite. Any suggestions please let me know....

CallmeSweetie

Real Name
Andrea
Sounds like progress, well done! I think is going to be like a romantic novel and we are all routing for the happy ever after

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
And this is how I found them this afternoon. Both taking a nap in the bathroom.
Eloy is still chasing her away, but today he accepts her company while taking his nap. :)

And sorry for bad quality, I didn't want to use the flash.
ea1.jpg

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Well it's a start, they are just far enough from each other he's probably comfortable with her being there:highfive:

Status
Not open for further replies.