• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Behavior?

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
For the past 2 months give or take BeeBop has been for lack of a better description grumpy. Every time I get near him he pecks me in the face or hand, and sometimes it hurts. I used to think it was just an overestimated kiss, but sometimes he makes an angry noise and his pupils dilate a bit. This has been going on since before we got Tango. From what I can tell it's because he wants something. But I have no idea what. He definitely wants to be with me but it doesn't matter what I do it seems he wants something else. He still seems to like me, sometimes he will preen me and let me preen him (with my nose lol). Any thoughts? :confused:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Every time I get near him he pecks me in the face or hand, and sometimes it hurts.
That's because you're violating his personal space. You weren't asking/waiting for him to come to you. It wasn't his "choice" that you approached those particular times. Budgies are not touchy feely birds. You're lucky to have what you have.

BeeBop

That's because you're violating his personal space. You weren't asking/waiting for him to come to you. It wasn't his "choice" that you approached those particular times. Budgies are not touchy feely birds. You're lucky to have what you have.
Ok, good point, but he still does it when it's completely his choice. For example, I offer my finger, he jumps on it, still opportunity to get off, he leans in, I bring him closer, he pecks me. No change with how I have approached him lately. Edit: Is it hormonal? He is molting right now so it's a little worse than usual.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He communicates with his beak. You don't have a beak (or feathers) or it wouldn't be a big deal because thats how budgie interact.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There's nothing wrong with your budgie. Very typical behaviour. What kind of advice do you want? It's how you handle the bird.

BeeBop

There's nothing wrong with your budgie. Very typical behaviour. What kind of advice do you want? It's how you handle the bird.
Well i know it's not him, I guess what I want is to know why he seems angry at me all the sudden. I just want to know how to get it to lessen or maybe what I'm doing wrong. He never communicated with me that way the past year. We always seemed to understand each other, I didn't pet him or cross his boundaries but he was still affectionate (preening me and giving me loud kisses lol). Some things have changed in his environment (new bird, new cage) but he was like this before any change of any sort for a long time too.

datlamb

parrots can get a bit crankier when they are molting.
another thing i would consider is trying to closely watch your budgie's body language before it comes in for a bite. fluffed feathers on the back of the head, eye pinning, open beak, all those are signs that the parrot is about to bite. illustrated guide

after you learn to see when these behaviors appear try and figure out what's causing them. are you getting the budgie too close to your body? are you wearing a bright shirt or necklace that might scare him? etc

hope this helps :) please keep us updated

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Birds grow up and evolve just like people. They change. A new bird is a huge factor. Before the new bird there was no other. Only you. Now there is another bird and your bird is recognizing it as someone like itself. You are not. He may have thought that in the beginning but now its changed.

BeeBop

parrots can get a bit crankier when they are molting.
another thing i would consider is trying to closely watch your budgie's body language before it comes in for a bite. fluffed feathers on the back of the head, eye pinning, open beak, all those are signs that the parrot is about to bite. illustrated guide

after you learn to see when these behaviors appear try and figure out what's causing them. are you getting the budgie too close to your body? are you wearing a bright shirt or necklace that might scare him? etc

hope this helps :) please keep us updated
Thanks! I've identified one of the behaviors he does. Apparently he is uncomfortable? He pulls his wings back rapidly. He only does this when he's just sitting on his cage and I come close but don't let him jump on me (I guess that's the wrong training technique). So I should always give him my finger/shoulder.

BeeBop

Birds grow up and evolve just like people. They change. A new bird is a huge factor. Before the new bird there was no other. Only you. Now there is another bird and your bird is recognizing it as someone like itself. You are not. He may have thought that in the beginning but now its changed.
True. But what does that mean? Does that mean I have to re earn his trust? Does that mean I will forever be viewed different from now on? (Also this problem was going on for a long time before the new bird, so his behavior hasn't changed since the new bird)

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Joey Caique will become irritable and he lets me know about it, usually when he is getting new feathersi in. I give him space and don't ask him to come to me when he is Not wanting to be handle. On warm days I offer him warm misting from a spray bottle.
When he has the eye pinning, i know it is hormal. I leave him be until it passes. One thing that has helped with aggression is that I have a lot of foraging stuff in his cage.
He is still a great companion bird. I had to make adjustments to my expectations and desire to have a cuddly bird. Our relationship has changed over the years.
Also suggest to read some of the target training posts. That was helpful as well.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Do the birds play together?

BeeBop

Joey Caique will become irritable and he lets me know about it, usually when he is getting new feathersi in. I give him space and don't ask him to come to me when he is Not wanting to be handle. On warm days I offer him warm misting from a spray bottle.
When he has the eye pinning, i know it is hormal. I leave him be until it passes. One thing that has helped with aggression is that I have a lot of foraging stuff in his cage.
He is still a great companion bird. I had to make adjustments to my expectations and desire to have a cuddly bird. Our relationship has changed over the years.
Also suggest to read some of the target training posts. That was helpful as well.
Great ideas. Will be sure to try them! I'm not to good on foraging. Do you have any favorites that you buy/make? Yes the birds play together, preen together, talk to each other they get along very well.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
For the foraging, I got some food cups and I put treats, balsa or pine wood, cardboard items from (A Bird Toy).... Or anything they like to chew on.
image.jpeg

Food is at the bottom. You could even use a box and set on the cage bottom filled with foraging stuff. Sometimes I reuse the part of old toys for foraging material.

BeeBop

For the foraging, I got some food cups and I put treats, balsa or pine wood, cardboard items from (A Bird Toy).... Or anything they like to chew on.
View attachment 256372

Food is at the bottom. You could even use a box and set on the cage bottom filled with foraging stuff. Sometimes I reuse the part of old toys for foraging material.
Good idea. I might start by only doing that in one food bowl so they still have food if they are afraid. I doubt BeeBop will have a problem but Tango is a little skittish.

kitsunebandit

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
How old is he? Male budgies can often become quite bossy with hands when they reach maturity. A friend of mine has a bird who will sit on you all day but go to touch him and he will give you a real telling off! He's been like it since he was about 6 months old. I hand raised him myself and he was a gentle and lovely baby

BeeBop

How old is he? Male budgies can often become quite bossy with hands when they reach maturity. A friend of mine has a bird who will sit on you all day but go to touch him and he will give you a real telling off! He's been like it since he was about 6 months old. I hand raised him myself and he was a gentle and lovely baby
He's a little over a year. BeeBop is the same way, except he tells you off no matter what! :laugh::confused:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Joey scolds me atleast twice a day.