• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beginning on that road..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
Ok, so a friend and i have decided to move in together. I am paying a bit extra in rent so that i can have a bird room. I am planning on having them flighted. Altogether, i will i have 6 cockatiels. Any suggestions on what i will need and what i shouldn't have in a flighted bird room? They will be in their cages when i am not in the room, but i plan on being in there with them alot. My computer will also be in there, along with a radio. (charlie loves music!!)

pictures of your bird room would be awesome as well. keep in mind i am only 5'1, when making suggestions. LOL. so nothing can be put up above 5'5.

sodakat

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
You will love having a bird room! Make sure everything you place in there can be pooped on, even if you intend to keep it covered. I use branches and rope as well as boings as landing spots throughout my birdroom. Remember power cords are tempting to chew.

Check that there are screens on all the windows that open, that the screens have no holes, and that a screen can't accidentally be pushed out if a bird flies against it. I suggest putting a screen door on the door from the hallway in your new house into the birdroom. I use a spring on the screen door to insure it closes.

Consider the floor covering. If it's carpeted, you'll want to cover it. I found some lightweight plastic panels at a local home improvement store that are inexpensive and easy to clean. I taped the seams together. I think it's called durotherm.

Here is my birdroom. I stack the small cages I use for traveling and when taking the birds outside, and use them for holding large food dishes. I keep a table in the room so I can sit and play games with the birds. Mine has an enamel top that is easily cleaned. There are also cages behind where I'm standing to take this picture, but there is still lots of room for birds to fool around.

SDC10630.jpg

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
You will love having a bird room! Make sure everything you place in there can be pooped on, even if you intend to keep it covered. I use branches and rope as well as boings as landing spots throughout my birdroom. Remember power cords are tempting to chew.

Check that there are screens on all the windows that open, that the screens have no holes, and that a screen can't accidentally be pushed out if a bird flies against it. I suggest putting a screen door on the door from the hallway in your new house into the birdroom. I use a spring on the screen door to insure it closes.

Consider the floor covering. If it's carpeted, you'll want to cover it. I found some lightweight plastic panels at a local home improvement store that are inexpensive and easy to clean. I taped the seams together. I think it's called durotherm.

Here is my birdroom. I stack the small cages I use for traveling and when taking the birds outside, and use them for holding large food dishes. I keep a table in the room so I can sit and play games with the birds. Mine has an enamel top that is easily cleaned. There are also cages behind where I'm standing to take this picture, but there is still lots of room for birds to fool around.

View attachment 58922
That room is awesome! :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.