• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beginner Bird Owner

Red

Checking out the neighborhood
I have wanted a bird ever since I was little and I am finally able to get one. I have been doing research for probably about a year and the three birds I have narrowed my choices down to are a cockatiel, lovebird, or a bourkes parakeet. All of these types of birds work with my lifestyle and I like them very much however I only want one bird I just can't decide which of these three to get. Can anyone who has had experience with these birds give me advice on which one would be best for a beginner. It would help me out a lot, thank you.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! My first bird was a cockatiel. They're known to be laid back birds compared to other species of parrots. Females tend to be more cuddly than males but my male was very affectionate so it really depends on the bird. They're good whistlers (males), not great talkers. I have fostered a lovebird. They're more of a big bird in a little bird's body I think compared to tiels. Mine was a little clown. Loved to beat up on his toys, etc. They can be a bit nippy. I have never had a bourke but I've heard their temperament is similar to a tiel- pretty laid back. I've heard they're not really hands on birds though but I'm sure others here with bourkes can elaborate more on them.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi Red, and welcome!

There isn't an objectively best bird - all birds have their characteristics and quirks, and a bird that would suit me may not be the best choice for you. So people can help you, can you tell us a bit about you and what you're looking for in an avian companion?

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
I am surprised I am the first to say it - one bird will be lonely, if you can, get two. If you can't get two at the same time, bond with the first bird and then get a second soon after. Parrots especially are not solitary birds. Birds in general, at least the ones you can have as pets, are most likely to be social birds and therefore need a companion. Companions don't necessarily need to be the same breed. I love cockatiels, they are great birds overall, I have two of them! They're cuddly, sweet, kind and very very cute. They're also picky eaters, picky toy choosers, small little birbs, they love to whistle in mirrors, come in many different mutations (what's your favourite?), can be super fussy and can be a little naughty (like all birds!). My first bird was a canary, but the first family birds (my brothers, I believe) were two budgies, I think the first was moonbeam and the second was something like rainbow. Budgies are sweet, smaller than cockatiels and loving. Lovebirds are beautiful too, I cannot say much since I have not kept them in the past, but they have a very cute chirp.

Red

Checking out the neighborhood
What I'm looking for in a bird is one who likes to be around me and who's not very loud. I would like if the bird was ok with being held and was comfortable just basically being with me most of time. I have roommates who are ok with a pet bird. I was leaning more towards lovebirds but I've read some things about lovebirds getting aggressive with other cage mates or people if they get jealous and I'm nervous that might mean the bird would get jealous of me hanging out with my roommates. Another thing is that my house is never empty so the bird will never be alone but I will be the primary caretaker of them. The reason I only wanted one was because I had read that with two birds they bond to each other and usually don't want to leave their cage or only like each other and not the owner, but if two is better for the bird then I will look into getting two. One last thing is that even though I have been interested in lovebirds for about 5 years but when I met one of my friends who's owned birds his whole life he told me I should get a cockatiel and then I heard bourke's were really good for beginners so that's when I became indecisive. I also have a dog if that makes any differences.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think a cockatiel! They can be very sweet, tend to not be one person birds, are fairly mellow, and quiet.:heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. The best thing to do is to go out and interact with various types of birds, if you can go to rescue facilities/shops.
As for the dog, best to make sure that your home is bird safe and that dog does not have access to the bird.
I have no experience with Bourke's. Did have a lovebird who wasn't overly friendly and have had several 'tiels including the 2 I have now. I would probably recommend a 'tiel but best to go and check out different birds and interact with them.

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I have always thought cockatiels were the best first bird. Try to find a very young one and see if you can hold/interact.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Considering the information you stated, I'd lean towards a cockatiel or a bourke parakeet. If noise is any consideration, and you don't need a very hands on bird (but one that still likes to come out and mingle or perhaps sit on your shoulder), then I'd definitely go with a bourke.

Lovebirds will be the loudest, which may bother roommates. They can be very hands on birds but also very bitey if you don't watch out.

Cockatiels are more laid back but can still be very friendly and hands on birds. Some people may find cockatiels to be annoying and "loud".

Bourkes would be, generally speaking, the least hands on of the 3 and also the quietest. Raised right and handled, they are still charming little birds!

The bourkes I've had were never hand tamed and friendly (parent raised birds), but despite that, I still love them! I prefer the normal/wild type bourkes over the rosy/opaline mutations though.

If you are looking to get a bird and have it clipped or keep it clipped, I would not recommend a bourke.