• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Been a while - meet our new family member! And met another AA family member!!

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

I haven't been around much since the holidays... Been bit busy and health has been kicking my behind.... sometimes I forget I am not longer able to do everything all the time!! Talk about living with your worst enemy!!

Well we recently added a new family member, tho no feathers for this one... I know some may call me crazy, but I kept having dreams about a dark cat and the other week when Victoria and I were out and about, the topic came up and I shared with her and she responded, well lets stop at the SPCA. Which is not the usual response any of us have about another cat in the home :)

We are longtime friends and supporters of the Bucks County SPCA, but first time we went to the new Quakertown branch, tho I've been in contact with members before offering help with bird situations.

Anyway... we met a new guy who the volunteers warned us was a quiet, skittish cat that did not like coming out. When she opened the door for us, she suggested being slow with him, he could be timid. But before she came over to talk with us, this timid, quiet and shy guy looked at me, flopped over and rolled to his back like wanting a belly rub. When the door was opened, he did slide to the back of the cage, but when I stepped in front of the cage, he offered his head to give me a bump and immediately went into the 'love me' mode.

After everyone else left and it was quiet, he happily let us pick him up and snuggled for both of us and we spent some time on the floor with him in one of their adoption rooms. He seemed perfect and likely the cat who had been showing up in my dreams, but we have a very strong male cat at home and was quite worried about taking home another male. So, we left the SPCA, went home and I had a 'talk' with Travolta and let him smell the new cat on me. Call me crazy, but we got his approval, grabbed a carrier and went back to the SPCA where my husband met us.

While we expected a slow introduction and such to the home (we have 3 cats), so we set him up in the powder room when we got home, but introductions were a sniff, hiss and walk away from our main male, Travolta. It certainly seems like he's been with us forever.... still not sure what the purpose or need was for him to be with us, but it pretty clear he belongs with us.

So pictures and videos tell the story... everyone meet Edgar Allan Poe (Poe for short), formerly known as Roadrunner... His exact age is unknown, but he came from a rescue the SPCA did of 11 cats left in a closed UHaul truck. We are not sure when or what critters got to his ears, but he's still a pretty boy :) He has a mild heart murmur, so keeping him active and healthy will be a priority.

Poe just an hour ago sleeping and snoring!!

Introducing Poe...

20170228_155730.jpg 20170228_155802.jpg 20170301_115901.jpg 20170301_120138.jpg 20170308_125023.jpg 20170303_221300.jpg 20170303_112238.jpg 20170301_222819.jpg 20170301_121053.jpg

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Forgot to mention the AA family member we meet!!

In chatting with the girls at Bucks County SPCA processing the adoption paperwork, it was so awesome to learn I was chatting with our own @alicat :)

Kassy

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Kasandra
Your new kitty is so cute! No mom would be jealous :p She wants a cat, but not feasible right now.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
What a hansom boy :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats on your new kitty!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Beautiful cat.......definitely looks like a Sable Burmese, or at least certainly has a lot of that in her. She's beautiful, and lucky!

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Poe definitely looks like he is home to stay!
:blkcat:

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
I LOVE him! Thank you for giving that precious little guy a home! He will appreciate it forever. I had two purebred cats, didn't want anymore, and my Eleanor showed up in my backyard. Sweetest calico stray baby ever. Everyone's best buddy. Peacemaker. Three years later, she still has to come to me and give me love eyes and groom my face or hair before she will eat her food.

And "Edgar Allen Poe" is a cool name!

Rooary

Real Name
Roary/Mariah
Awesome name! As for his ear, I think it means he was taken in by a shelter, fixed, and then released again. I'm not sure though, I just know there are some clinics that do that to bring down the number of stray cats on the streets.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Awesome name! As for his ear, I think it means he was taken in by a shelter, fixed, and then released again. I'm not sure though, I just know there are some clinics that do that to bring down the number of stray cats on the streets.

No, his ear is not docked... I have a male cat that was neutered thru a shelter spay/neuter program and they dock the ear. His one ear is almost folded and crumbled and has a jagged edge like it was chewed on and his other ear has some injury from flies or critters :(

Rooary

Real Name
Roary/Mariah
No, his ear is not docked... I have a male cat that was neutered thru a shelter spay/neuter program and they dock the ear. His one ear is almost folded and crumbled and has a jagged edge like it was chewed on and his other ear has some injury from flies or critters :(
Ah I see now. My mistake! Poor kitty, though I'm sure it doesn't cause him pain now. Just makes him all the more unique!

alicat

Real Name
Ali
It was so nice to meet you! :heart: probably my favorite adoption I've done♡

Oh and yeah his ear definitely isn't tipped
, it was from a past experience that unfortunately Poe can't tell us about! I'm pretty sure it was so on his right ear too, and they usually tip the left. :)

Last edited: