• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bee Pollen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Oh boy this is the place for me. I am so interested in and have practiced holistic health measures for a long time. Recently began to study the benefits of bee pollen. I know for people it is best obtained from local merchants so you get the pollen from local bees to help out with allergies.

Does anyone feed bee pollen to their bird? I do and Rosie seems to like it very much. Please tell me about your bee pollen experience. Thanks

blackivory

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chels
I was going to buy some for my Lorikeet, that I'm not getting anymore. Interested to hear if parrots can get benefits from it too.

melanie t

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
melanie tate
I feed bee pollen to my birds they like it I take bee pollen and if its good for me then I like to give it to my birds, the health benefits are so good.:)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Here's some AA threads on bee pollen you may find interesting: :)

http://forums.avianavenue.com/holistic-avenue/30144-bee-pollen.html

Bee Pollen contains 35% Protein, 55% Carbohydrate, 2% Fatty Acids, 3% Minerals and Vitamins. High in B-Complex Vitamins A, C, D and E. Also contains Lecithin, Beta Carotene and Selenium. It is rich in vitamins and contains almost all known minerals, trace elements, enzymes and amino acids. It contains the essence of every plant from which bees collect pollen in combination with digestive enzymes from the bees. This combination of elements make bee pollen an excellent source of antioxidants. Bee pollen is rapidly absorbed into the blood stream and stimulates immunological responses.

http://forums.avianavenue.com/feathered-food-court/30872-herbs-spices-benefits-your-parrots.html

http://forums.avianavenue.com/feath...bee-pollen-not-really-all-its-cracked-up.html

MissEdie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Edie
I give Bee pollen to my birds also for that very reason.It is good for them

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There are not really any scientific studies as to the effects of bee pollen that I have been able to find except for one on chickens. It has A LOT of nutritional value, but it's also very high in protein (a whopping 35% as mentioned!). A seed eating bird already gets too much protein and too much protein leads to many health problems (like plucking) so one needs to be very careful about feeding it and the amount.

For plucking birds it can actually contribute to the problem.
The only pluckers that would benefit from pollen would be ones that are suffering from malnutrition and low protein but parrots that are under-nourished usually have a diet very high in protein as they mostly eat seeds.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I put some in a food bowl for SC Nicky & my 2 Green Singing finches. Finches won't touch it, & Nick will eat a grain or two. I think the health benefits outweigh the risks, JMHO!!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I bought mine before I posted the thread that Marie helpfully linked to!

That said, I do feed it a couple of times a month (an 1/8th of a teaspoon) as a treat because they like it. After this bag runs out though, I will not be continuing to feed it.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
There are not really any scientific studies as to the effects of bee pollen that I have been able to find except for one on chickens. It has A LOT of nutritional value, but it's also very high in protein (a whopping 35% as mentioned!). A seed eating bird already gets too much protein and too much protein leads to many health problems (like plucking) so one needs to be very careful about feeding it and the amount.

For plucking birds it can actually contribute to the problem.
The only pluckers that would benefit from pollen would be ones that are suffering from malnutrition and low protein but parrots that are under-nourished usually have a diet very high in protein as they mostly eat seeds.
Ruby is very sensitive to too much protein so she only gets 4 bee pollen granules every two/three weeks or so and when I do I make sure to adjust any other protein she gets. It is something to be aware of if you have food allergic fids. :)

Kia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennylyn
Kia has bee pollen added to her Nectar. It is already added in by Linda Blessing. I do have a bag of just bee pollen that I give her as tiny pieces of a treat every now and then though and she loves it.

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
Eve gets bee pollen, I've been using it for years. However the high protein is a concern for certain birds.Protien is hard on the kidneys and too much can be very bad for a lot of parrot species. I personally would be hesitant to use bee pollen a regular basis on any protein sensitive species. Vasa's need a higher protein diet so for him it is a staple when he is not getting any meat sources.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Rosie gets bee pollen about 3 times a week. Her avian blood panel came back all normal. Protein was just on the low normal side and CPK was on the high side of normal. What is CPK??

Inkrose115

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie
In the context of a blood panel, CK is creatine kinase. High levels indicate muscle damage (although it is not specific). High side of normal isn't significant, though.

CheekyBeaks

Real Name
Ann-Marie
Hi, I'm new here and I know this is an old thread but thought I would add my experince.
I have been feeding bee pollen to my Rainbow Lorikeets for around 14 months now and have found a huge difference in them. I actually make my own lori wet food as I have been concerned over the huge amount of refined sugars that are in most commercial lori foods. So my food is refined sugar free and I include about 20grams of bee pollen to around 2KG of food, I also include about 8 grams of Super Greens (combo of spirulina, wheat grass, barley grass & Chrolella), 5 grams of dried kelp in the mix. It is mixed up with a teaspoon of native honey diluted in hot water and about half a banana pureed in. Four of my birds are breeding birds so their nutition is very important and I have noticed that since taking them off commercial wet mixes and using my mix that their feathering has improved dramatically the colours are more vibrant, they are also more playful and have more energy and their babies are reaching better weights.
I would not feel comfortable feeding Bee pollen to my non-nectar eating parrots though, unless pollens make up a large part of the diet in the wild I don't feel that it would be safe as they could have allergic reactions to pollens as we do.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I have given it to Gryphon my mousebird. It is said to be a complete food. It's a good source of protein.I have also mixed it into my other bird's food. I presently do not have any. I have had problems finding a good source for it. It goes bad really fast here in FL and must be refrigerated.

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I am leaving all nuts and seeds out of Zena's dry food. She'll be getting ground nuts and seeds in her mash. I think bee pollen might be helpful as a protein source for birds that don't eat nuts or seeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.