• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beautiful Lovebirds

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I have not been visiting as he is only available during rush hour so a 50 mile trip turns into a 2 hour drive one way in traffic. i may go up this weekend if time permits. I know not seeing will make him skittish towards me when I pick him/her up but I work from home so I got all the time and patience to tame the little beast. He/she will be ready to go home in two weeks hopefuly if it retains its body weight.

I just finish building his/her cage tonight.. still needs a few things though. I also have a smaller 24x16x16 night time cage I may start it off with to not overwhelm him/her with the bigger cage. It's the same size cage the breeder uses at the moment. So I think that will be better for the transition, plus a shorter fall to the ground since it's still a baby.

Here is the larger cage.

Attachments

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Nice size cage for a Lovebird.
You can put him/her right into the big cage if you want. A weaned Lovebird that’s the age your baby is can fly/climb like a champ. Remember, in the wild they would be fending for themselves already.
I’m so excited for you to bring your baby home!

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Nice size cage for a Lovebird.
You can put him/her right into the big cage if you want. A weaned Lovebird that’s the age your baby is can fly/climb like a champ. Remember, in the wild they would be fending for themselves already.
I’m so excited for you to bring your baby home!
When I saw him/her last week, it was already fluttering around pretty gracefully at 4 and half weeks old. The big cage is in the same room as my suns, I am getting the bird tested for DNA sexing, polyoma, psittacosis and beak and feather but I will probably quarantine him for a couple of weeks just to be safe.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Just love those baby photos. You will treasure them.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Just love those baby photos. You will treasure them.
Yes I will. They grow up soooo fast. Next thing I know, from interaction with other lovies, is he/she will either be humping something or trying to make a nest. :laugh:

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Just as an update, I ended up not taking the bird home. He tested positive for PBFD :arghh:. The search continues...

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Just as an update, I ended up not taking the bird home. He tested positive for PBFD :arghh:. The search continues...
:sadhug2: Aww that is horrible, but at least you knew before you brought him home.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Breeders of Linnies on East coast are trying to get green in their clutches because green is the natural color and there aren't many of them. People want the other colors.
Adore my lovely green Gigi!

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Wow, that’s a shocker!!! Sorry for you and your baby. :(
Too bad I’m moving house soon...otherwise I would hopefully have Violet *Blue Marbled babies available right now. Later in the Summer I can hopefully set them up.
You’ll find another baby soon. :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@DoubleTake sorry it did not work out. Did the breeder test the bird or did you have the test done?

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I’m sorry to hear that. I just found out another Aviary that appears reputable had sold babies with that as well (fly babies aviary for the curious). They ended up giving a full refund in that case. Seems like a lot of aviaries lately are coming up with positive babies and it’s always sad.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
@DoubleTake sorry it did not work out. Did the breeder test the bird or did you have the test done?
I had him test the bird before I was to take the bird home. The testing facility is avian biotech. Results just came in a few hours ago. Needless to say I am pretty bummed. I wanted to be careful introducing a new bird to my flock...

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I’m sorry to hear that. I just found out another Aviary that appears reputable had sold babies with that as well (fly babies aviary for the curious). They ended up giving a full refund in that case. Seems like a lot of aviaries lately are coming up with positive babies and it’s always sad.
He will give refunds on the bird but the test was out of my pocket. Oh well. He was saying that the test could be a false positive.... not sure how true that is but I am not willing to take that risk and infecting my current fids.

MiniMacaw

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
He will give refunds on the bird but the test was out of my pocket. Oh well. He was saying that the test could be a false positive.... not sure how true that is but I am not willing to take that risk and infecting my current fids.
Definitely agree it’s not worth the risk. Hopefully it’s for the best and you find a new amazing bird to join your flock when the time is right.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Avian Bio has a very good accuracy rate i am really glad you decided to test on your own. Others in that area should follow suit.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I don't know of any off hand except for Magnolia which is where I got my two trouble makers but that was 17 years ago. We went by there last year just to see what they had and the Lovie nursery had a pretty good selection.

I am really sorry your baby tested positive for PFBD. It's kinda scary to know a local breeder has babies being exposed. I hope he will look into it and find out what is going on with his flock. he has such beautiful lovies.

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I called magnolia earlier today. They didn't have and hand fed levies today. Kind of hit and miss with them sometimes they are rude. Also I'd definately have to do testing with amount of random bird traffic they get. Most breeders that I found parent raise their chicks and all advertise "not tame".