1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Beak Puncture?

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by Hjarta5, 4/9/18.

1. Hjarta5

Hjarta5 Jogging around the block Tailgating Party! I Can't Stop Posting!

Jennifer
    This morning I noticed Wally has what looks to be a chip or puncture in her beak, near her nares :( She is eating, drinking, and playing with her toys as usual but I'm taking her to the vet to have it checked out. Anyone have had this happen?

20180409_091841.jpg

2. webchirp

webchirp Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Rescue Representative Vendor

Chandra
    I've had a few with trauma to their beak...usual route is antibiotics in case and a bit of manuka honey. The last one was Rocco jumping Zia and she really gouged the side of his beak. The vet even thought it would grow with a bit of an issue but it didn't. Healed up well. Hugs to both of you.

@Mizzely ...Jingo had a bite at one time and she can update you.

Hjarta5 likes this.
  3. Teckechick

Teckechick Sprinting down the street Tailgating Party!

Dawn
    Awwww poor girl, at least it doesn't seem to be hurting her. Keep us posted on what the vet says/does!!

Hjarta5 likes this.
  4. Hjarta5

Jennifer
    We are back from the vet; she gave us some silvadene and said to basically put some on the area 2x daily. With the location, the vet was reluctant to prescribe an oral antibiotic at this time but we have a check up next week to see how it goes.

@webchirp I forgot to ask about the manuka honey. What did you do for Roccoco and Zia?

iamwhoiam, Teckechick and webchirp like this.
  5. webchirp

webchirp Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Rescue Representative Vendor

Chandra
    Zia was okay as she inflicted the injury...but the vet did prescribe antibiotics and I have a bottle of manuka honey that I put on things right away. It's really good stuff. His beak was very gouged at the edge and bleeding though.

iamwhoiam and Hjarta5 like this.
  6. enigma731

enigma731 Sprinting down the street

Silvadene is antibacterial, so that should be good coverage.

Hjarta5 likes this.
  7. Hjarta5

Jennifer
    Thanks everyone! I'm not going to let Wally and Luna have playtime together anymore, which really bums me out but its for the best as Wally can be such a bully without any sense of fear in her :(

8. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Sorry that Wally got hurt. Good that you got her to the vet and you have medication to treat the injury. Hope all will be well.

Hjarta5 likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)