• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Beak Puncture?

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
This morning I noticed Wally has what looks to be a chip or puncture in her beak, near her nares :( She is eating, drinking, and playing with her toys as usual but I'm taking her to the vet to have it checked out. Anyone have had this happen?

20180409_091841.jpg

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I've had a few with trauma to their beak...usual route is antibiotics in case and a bit of manuka honey. The last one was Rocco jumping Zia and she really gouged the side of his beak. The vet even thought it would grow with a bit of an issue but it didn't. Healed up well. Hugs to both of you.

@Mizzely ...Jingo had a bite at one time and she can update you.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Awwww poor girl, at least it doesn't seem to be hurting her. Keep us posted on what the vet says/does!!

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
We are back from the vet; she gave us some silvadene and said to basically put some on the area 2x daily. With the location, the vet was reluctant to prescribe an oral antibiotic at this time but we have a check up next week to see how it goes.

@webchirp I forgot to ask about the manuka honey. What did you do for Roccoco and Zia?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
We are back from the vet; she gave us some silvadene and said to basically put some on the area 2x daily. With the location, the vet was reluctant to prescribe an oral antibiotic at this time but we have a check up next week to see how it goes.

@webchirp I forgot to ask about the manuka honey. What did you do for Roccoco and Zia?
Zia was okay as she inflicted the injury...but the vet did prescribe antibiotics and I have a bottle of manuka honey that I put on things right away. It's really good stuff. His beak was very gouged at the edge and bleeding though.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Silvadene is antibacterial, so that should be good coverage.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Thanks everyone! I'm not going to let Wally and Luna have playtime together anymore, which really bums me out but its for the best as Wally can be such a bully without any sense of fear in her :(

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that Wally got hurt. Good that you got her to the vet and you have medication to treat the injury. Hope all will be well.