• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak chipped off on the side

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I just noticed a tiny chunk of beak is gone from the left side of Blu's beak.I hope you can see? I know the pic is a little dark.
20170809_215724.jpg
It must've happened today. It doesn't seem to hurt him when I touch it. Is this something that needs a vet appointment?

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Could he have been rubbing his beak on a pedi-type or sanded perch?
Joey did that once and his beak look like Blu's.
It did not bleed or impede his ability to eat. It grew back quickly.

Last edited:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Could he have been rubbing his beak on a pedi-type perch?
He has a pedi perch but rarely even steps on it. I believe he probably did it from digging his face in the little part of a speaker he loves messing with. But I'm not 100% sure how. That's just my guess

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's nothing to get "worried" about. Oh I'm sorry I forgot who I was talking to. :hug8:

The concern now is that there is a bit of a jagged indent now in that part of the beak. It's a weak spot now. I would "dress" the beak with dremel to contour that edge. And while I was at it I would shorten that tip a little and even out both sides. A general beak "groom". Soon. No speeding on the way to the vet and follow all traffic rules. :lol: :hug8:

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Just edited my post...but others may have a different point of view.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Joey did that once and his beak look like Blu's.
It did not bleed or impede his ability to eat. It grew back quickly.
Thank you for the response! Good to know Joey was ok afterwards. Blu seems to be eating fine too.

It's nothing to get "worried" about. Oh I'm sorry I forgot who I was talking to. :hug8:

The concern now is that there is a bit of a jagged indent now in that part of the beak. It's a weak spot now. I would "dress" the beak with dremel to contour that edge. And while I was at it I would shorten that tip a little and even out both sides. A general beak "groom". Soon. No speeding on the way to the vet and follow all traffic rules. :lol: :hug8:
Lol. Thank you!
Will it be okay if we go in like 2 -3 weeks, when he has to go in for a nail trim? Or do you think that's too long to wait?

I'm honestly more nervous about having his beak filed than nervous that it's chipped.( I know, meee nervous?:rolleyes: ) But I just imagine he will be such a pansy about it because he's so sensitive to nail trims. He can't tolerate pain very well. :nervous:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Will it be okay if we go in like 2 -3 weeks
I could wait but that's your call.

He can't tolerate pain very well

You've got to remember that just because a bird is making blood curdling death screams while being held, they aren't in any pain. The just want you to think they are. Milk it for whatever it's worth (drama). :)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I could wait but that's your call.

You've got to remember that just because a bird is making blood curdling death screams while being held, they aren't in any pain. The just want you to think they are. Milk it for whatever it's worth (drama). :)
Ok, thank you so much! I don't think he'll scream (he tends to be quiet as a church mouse at the vet) I just know after a nail trim, even when it's not that short, he holds his little foot up for at least 2, sometimes even 3 or 4 days.

Do beaks get sensitive after a trim?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Not if it's done right.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
my 2 cents:
don't mess with the beak unless the vet (not the tech) says it is necessary. Currently Little Scooter quaker gets a monthly dremeling due to scissor beak. He handles it fine. I lost a cockatiel due to stress during an unnecessary beak trim recommended by a tech. My vet said that once you start dremeling you have to keep doing it regularly. Chickie caique has a long beak. She won't touch it because it's not medically necessary.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
my 2 cents:
don't mess with the beak unless the vet (not the tech) says it is necessary. Currently Little Scooter quaker gets a monthly dremeling due to scissor beak. He handles it fine. I lost a cockatiel due to stress during an unnecessary beak trim recommended by a tech. My vet said that once you start dremeling you have to keep doing it regularly. Chickie caique has a long beak. She won't touch it because it's not medically necessary.
Thank you, Saroj. I am sorry you lost your cockateil to that. I had no idea
:sadhug2:

I will definitely ask the vet and not the vet tech. I hate to start something and then have to do it for a lifetime just cause I started. I appreciate you letting me know.