• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Beak challenged birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirdyGirl

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Erica
I volunteer at a shelter and we have a CAG there who had his entire lower beak ripped off by a U2. I swear, if you couldn't see that he was missing his lower beak, you'd never know! He eats the exact same pelleted food mix as every other bird at the shelter. This incident happened several years before I started volunteering there, so I'm not sure how long the recovery process was for him, but there are no modifications to his cage, he uses his beak to climb and play just like any other parrot (and is a great talker and noise mimicker as well). He does have full use of his wings and is a very good flier, but I just wanted to chime in that there is definitely hope that your baby will lead a very normal life. It will just take some time for him to adjust.
On a personal note, my 'tiel had her bottom beak broken by my Meyer's (I will never forgive myself for that:() and it did take several months for her get used to her broken beak. The entire beak is still there and continues to grow, but it never reattached to the skin, so it's loose on one side. For a month or so, all I could get her to eat was scrambled eggs. To this day, I moisten her food for her, but it's just a small modification.

Good luck with Ziggy! I hope he's feeling better soon!

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
how is Ziggy lately? Eating well?
I'm sorry I missed this post for so long.

Yes, he's eating well. I keep about half a dozen types of nuts, very finally chopped, in a bowl for him at all times, and I also have available Harrison's high potency super fine. (Harrison's has always been his pellet of choice.) He still prefers cooked foods, a lot of variety. I bought the Higgins Worldly Cuisine sampler pack to have on hand for convenience sake, and he's liked all the flavors so far.

ETA: Behavior wise, he's back to normal - climbing down to try to chase cats and dogs, etc. - I'm constantly chasing after him.

Last edited:

TheBeesKnees

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lindsey Champine
I have no suggestions other than what has already been said, but I would like to say, I'll be thinking of you both and hope that his adjustments are speedy and without much pain emotionally or physically. He'll be in my prayers :hug8:

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
That's great to hear. No worries. I'm glad his spirits are up! :hug8:

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry I missed this post for so long.

Yes, he's eating well. I keep about half a dozen types of nuts, very finally chopped, in a bowl for him at all times, and I also have available Harrison's high potency super fine. (Harrison's has always been his pellet of choice.) He still prefers cooked foods, a lot of variety. I bought the Higgins Worldly Cuisine sampler pack to have on hand for convenience sake, and he's liked all the flavors so far.

ETA: Behavior wise, he's back to normal - climbing down to try to chase cats and dogs, etc. - I'm constantly chasing after him.
Glad to hear he's doing well :hug8:

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Thank you, everyone. :hug8:

I don't know whether he was a bit tentative, getting used to his new beak configuration, or whether I was limiting his activity because of my own worries, or some combination of the above, but he is definitely back to his full trouble making self.

There remains an increased sweetness about our relationship, though, probably due to being together 24/7 for those months, including him sleeping on me during that time.

SaraR

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sara
OH wow!! Ziggymom!! i am so sorry to hear this...it must have happened while i was gone cause i don't know how else i missed this!! Kudos to you for being strong for Ziggy!! give your self and Ziggy a big hug for me!!:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.