• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bathing in water bowl?

Birdy bunch

Strolling the yard
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Hattie
Zeke has been "bathing" in his water bowl but its not big enough for him to get his whole body wet.
i'm a bit worried he will swallow one of his feathers or something! (hes molting)
i'm also wondering if I should still bathe him even though he is sort of bathing in his water dish (he is not getting his whole body wet)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I would offer a separate bigger bowl of water. One that is a bit shallow.
It is not a big problem That he bathes in his bowl I think, my birds do that too sometimes. They usually do that in the morning when I am still there so I just refresh the water.
If he accepts a spray bath, go for it! There is no such thing as too Many baths:D
Any chance you have more Zeke pictures? He has become my favorite canary of the avenue:heart:

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Aww so cute

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
He is sooo cute!:heart: The fifth picture is great, “I am too fast for the camare zoofff!l:D

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Zeke is adorable!!! Yep, it sounds like Zeke needs a bigger bath.

My canary Peeps started doing the same thing last December! He would frantically rub his face on his water feeder and he would look all disheveled and sneeze afterwards. It really scared me since I've never cared for a bird before, so I've never seen him act like that. :(

At the time I wasn't sure if he was going through an off-season molt or if he had mites, so I (fortunately) found this forum for advice and also took him to the vet. Turns out he was molting after all.

From then on I started putting in his bird bath everyday. I assumed that he must've felt very uncomfortable with a bunch of pin feathers pushing through his skin (it's his first molt too, he's almost done now). There were days where he instantly jumped in and days where he didn't, but I put the bath in for 15-20 minutes daily just in case. When his molting got heavier, he started jumping in everyday and for much longer. Sure enough, the behavior stopped! *KNOCKS ON WOOD*

Peeps is almost 2 years old and is about 17 g last time we saw the vet. His tub is about 6x3x1.5 inches?

Hope the story and info helped! Hope Zeke is doing well!