• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bathing (actually not bathing) has become a big problem

manuelcalavera

Strolling the yard
Hello everyone,
I created a separated topic for this issue, so I can get all the help from you guys. Well, to summarize it, Kido does not bathe! She runs away from spraying, and ignores (or runs away) from water bowls.
There was ONLY one time, that she tried to bathe in her drinking water container and as you can guess, the container was too small for her to properly bathe.
What can I do? She's 5 months now and she has bathed.

KatelynDeanne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Im glad you brought this up because Lucy wont bathe either and I was actually about to start a thread asking the same question. Her feet are dry and I have no idea what to do about it. She hates the spray bottle as well. :(

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Tinker tried a 12" square dish once. Yep once! That was it.
Teresa was spraying her hair with water one day and he closed in to see what she was doing so she sprayed him. He took off but came back the next day and she sprayed him a bit more.
After a week he stayed long enough to get quite wet.

These days he will take a little spraying everyday but only stays long enough once every 10 to 14 days for a good soaking.

This morning was one of them days.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Tinker tried a 12" square dish once. Yep once! That was it.
Teresa was spraying her hair with water one day and he closed in to see what she was doing so she sprayed him. He took off but came back the next day and she sprayed him a bit more.
After a week he stayed long enough to get quite wet.

These days he will take a little spraying everyday but only stays long enough once every 10 to 14 days for a good soaking.

This morning was one of them days.
Thanks for the tips! I am hoping Lucy will adapt over time. She just flies away if she feels water :(

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Im glad you brought this up because Lucy wont bathe either and I was actually about to start a thread asking the same question. Her feet are dry and I have no idea what to do about it. She hates the spray bottle as well. :(
Your birds feet are supposed to be dry. They have scales. This is how they regulate heat. This has nothing to do with bathing.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If your bird is scared of bathing then you’ve got to start thinking outside the box and turn it into a game. A large flat glass casserole dish with only a little bit a water in it. Put it on the table, get in there with your fingers and face and start enjoying it. Sooner or later curiosity will get them. Run the vacuum or a hairdryer while doing it. There's something magical about these machines. :)

Repeat regularly until they get it.

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
If your bird is scared of bathing then you’ve got to start thinking outside the box and turn it into a game. A large flat glass casserole dish with only a little bit a water in it. Put it on the table, get in there with your fingers and face and start enjoying it. Sooner or later curiosity will get them. Run the vacuum or a hairdryer while doing it. There's something magical about these machines. :)

Repeat regularly until they get it.
Thank you! We will try this today :) Lucy loves the sound of the vaccum. lol!

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Having an outside birdbath, that can be seen by the inside birds, could help. Inside birds could watch the outside birds enjoying a bath and may think it looks fun.

MsBasscat

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris Green
I'm about to change you and your bird's life. I had this same problem with my CAG, she didn't want any part of bathing. She would act like I was killing her when I sprayed her with a spray bottle ....I purchased a Mister from the pet store, they use it to spray reptiles. It was one of the best purchases I have made. She bathes regularly now with no problem...Let me know how it works for you... They will have to get use to it before they enjoy the bath, but it was like night and day for us.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
I'm about to change you and your bird's life. I had this same problem with my CAG, she didn't want any part of bathing. She would act like I was killing her when I sprayed her with a spray bottle ....I purchased a Mister from the pet store, they use it to spray reptiles. It was one of the best purchases I have made. She bathes regularly now with no problem...Let me know how it works for you... They will have to get use to it before they enjoy the bath, but it was like night and day for us.
Have you got a link to that Mister?

longyearwinds

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
essi
mines an older rescue who hates baths as well– but she will tolerate my geckos tank mister. that might help some people here. that's, however, where i run into my second issue. she seems to be WATERPROOF ? does anybody else have this issue with their grey ? she's around 11+ years old, could be in her 20s for all i know, and i don't think she's bathed in over 10 years. now when i try to wet her, the water seems to just roll right off her ! ( the tank mister for anyone curious is this: Exo Terra : Mister / Portable Pressure Sprayer )

Arno

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Arno
My oldest grey loves to bath while taking a shower with me where as the younger one hates the shower and a spray/mist bottle
So i attached a big water bowl on her playpen and she loves to bath in there now. She goes crazy if i drop some marbles and an ice cube in there for her.

Attachments