• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bathing a fearful parrot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's time for Java to have a full body-soak. Since his mobility is limited, he frequently steps in his poop and his tail feathers are caked with it, even though I've misted him and wiped as much of it off as possible. I feel at this point, a full-blown bath is needed. I've only soaked him completely once since I've had him, the rest has been misting or him bathing in his bowl, but his back end is always dirty. The issue is: the only way to bathe him is to put him in the tub. I've tried the sink, and he climbs right up my shirt or flaps around because he can't grip. In the end, there's a huge mess and his tail feathers are still dirty.
He's molting heavily, and I think a bath will do him some good as well as loosen the poop in his feathers, so where do I start? Do I just take him in the bathroom and set him in a tub of warm water? I don't want to traumatize him, but I'm quickly learning how manipulative he is. When he doesn't want to do something, he makes a big fuss about it, but once it's done, he's perfectly normal. So, Turkey-Bird needs a bath. Help.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Secret has a large shallow crock bowl. I fill the bowl with lukewarm water and put it on the floor of the shower and get the shower going on a gentle mist setting with that lukewarm temperature. I then sit her on the rim of the bowl. Sometimes she bathes herself.... sometimes she endures the mist. Either way, she gets pretty wet.

I put a lot of towels on the floor first, but I leave THE DOOR OPEN and sit in the doorway making eye contact and singing a stupid song. I have a horrible voice...... the things I do for these birds.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I would provide something much larger, but still shallow; maybe something like a ceramic pie plate? That way if he goes in there, his tail will certainly get dragged under the water. Rupert's dishes are often a little too short for his long tail to get cleaned properly, but recently he's taken to being sprayed (just not in the face) as well as dunking himself in water.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

I would provide something much larger, but still shallow; maybe something like a ceramic pie plate? That way if he goes in there, his tail will certainly get dragged under the water. Rupert's dishes are often a little too short for his long tail to get cleaned properly, but recently he's taken to being sprayed (just not in the face) as well as dunking himself in water.

If you go to Home Depot to the plant pots, you can get big 16 to 18" shallow saucers meant to catch drainage from houseplants. Works GREAT as a giant shallow pool.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have one, but he won't voluntarily get into it. Should I just fill it up in my room and put him in it? Or put it in the bathroom and put him in it?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Get him used to seeing it. Sherbie wouldn't bathe for the longest time. Every day I would bring out the dish, and gently pour water in it from another container (sometimes they get interested by seeing a stream dripping in to the dish), splash your fingers... he doesn't have to get in it; just keep showing him it's fun to use and then let him decide what to do. If no response, pack it up after a while and try again another day.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
For now you could always use a spray bottle full of warm water and spritz him down if he's ok with it. Nerd never wanted to be in the shower or bathe in bowls much but he would mostly tolerate getting sprayed down and afterwards he'd preen and make happy noises.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Have you tried the shower? Maybe if you are in there having a good time he will want to join in. Burt only wants a shower if I am in there and I seem to be having a good time, he will not enter the water if I am not in it. I have also noticed that the more noise I seem to make while showering (loud out of tune singing or fun noises) the more he seems to get into his wash time. If I stay quiet he does not seem to want to stay in the water.

I hope you find a solution and get that poopy tail cleaned up.
I know how much it bothered me when Burt had poop on his feathers and I could not get him in the water, I was worried that I would be seen as someone who was not looking after their bird and that worried me.

You have done so much for Java and managed to work out solutions to all your other issues so I have confidence that you will find a way to get his bathing done and all while he is happy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.