• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ball Python Eggs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
I've been waiting a long time for this and it finally happened. I found my first clutch of Ball Python eggs yesterday morning. She was still laying at that time so I left her alone until after work.

Turned out to be 10 eggs and 1 slug/infertile.

Father:

Pretty Stoked.. Now for the long 55 day wait. :)

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
Cool

I would love an update on your bird sometime :)
Unfortunately, I am currently fid-less. If you'd like to know why you're welcome to PM me. I do like to stay active in the forum still.

I will be going back to birds once my career settles and I can be sure I can give another fid all they deserve.

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
:omg: I would die if I ever saw one in person

They are very rewarding animals, companions even. I love them to bits. :)

They can be very misunderstood, but I respect those who have a true fear for them. Like me and spiders! Ick.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations! I am sure that the babies will be beautiful!

Matt

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
Yay!!! I bet your excited!! Can't wait to see em. Now the journey begins lolDay 1 lol

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
w ow!!!!!!!!!!

IggyPepito

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
The father is gorgeous! I bet those babies are going to be awesome. I wish I could have a snake.
Good luck with that clutch!! :hug8:

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Gorgeous eggs! :eek: Wow! Could you get a size comparison picture sometime? I'm very curious how you incubate/care for eggs in a captive setting- is it at all similar to bird egg incubation? How long does it take python eggs to develop and hatch?

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
Gorgeous eggs! :eek: Wow! Could you get a size comparison picture sometime? I'm very curious how you incubate/care for eggs in a captive setting- is it at all similar to bird egg incubation? How long does it take python eggs to develop and hatch?
Sure I can get you pictures next time I open the incubator.

They are in a homemade incubator set at 87-89 degrees and 100% humidity. (to achieve this, I get a cooler and wire some flexwatt [a type of heat element] and set that to a thermostat. I get a tub and fill it with medium [in my case, vermiculite] and water. The eggs go ontop of the medium and the container is sealed) They must not be rotated unlike bird eggs. Incubation is very different. The eggs are a bit bigger than a chicken egg and feel like soft leather. It takes the eggs an average of 55-60 days to hatch.

I plan on posting a video of candling the eggs and showing the incubator setup. I'll post it on here if you guys are interested in seeing that.

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
boas acually hatch inside there mother and born life, theres a fun fact. i just found that out
a week ago lol im not sure if this implys to all boas. but i thought that was pretty cool to find out.
cant wait for the picture of the hatchlings+ incubator set up. to bad your in canada, id buy one :)

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
boas acually hatch inside there mother and born life, theres a fun fact. i just found that out
a week ago lol im not sure if this implys to all boas. but i thought that was pretty cool to find out.
cant wait for the picture of the hatchlings+ incubator set up. to bad your in canada, id buy one :)
Yes, all species of Boa give birth, except one. It's pretty interesting. But messy!

I've attached a couple pictures of candling for those interested. Day 2.

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The candling pictures are very interesting to look at!

Matt

Cephus

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Brian
We have a female Ball Python. She is a sweet heart.
We've got a male at the moment, he's the last of the snakes that we have (we used to have quite a few reptiles, used to breed bearded dragons, leopard geckos and African fat-tails). They are great snakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.