• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ball Python Clutch Hatching!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
Hey Guys!

My first clutch of Ball Pythons was ready for pipping so I went ahead and cut them open. (common practise - it does not hurt the babies as long as you're careful)

58 days of incubation.

It was a Butter Spider morph male to a Normal wild type female.

I had 1 in 4 odds of the following morphs (color mutations) - Butter Spider, Butter, Spider, and Normal.

Do not worry about the blood - it is normal. The snakes are not being injured.

Here's a video of me cutting the eggs:

So I ended up with 3 Butter Spiders, 2 Butters, 2 Spiders, and 3 Normals. I'm happy! Excuse the mess!

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
Lovely snakes! Do you cut them to help the babies get out? (Are baby snakes called anything different than 'baby snakes'? 'Snake-lets'?) I had no idea ball python eggs were so big! :eek: I thought they would be about chicken egg sized.

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
Lovely snakes! Do you cut them to help the babies get out? (Are baby snakes called anything different than 'baby snakes'? 'Snake-lets'?) I had no idea ball python eggs were so big! :eek: I thought they would be about chicken egg sized.
Most are able to get out on their own, but it is known, although rare, that some are unable to and drown. Sometimes the umbilicus gets wrapped around the snake and it dies. Also, we just want to see what we got. ;) As long as they are ready and you know what you are doing, it is no harm to the hatchlings!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wow.... that is really interesting!!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations on your babies!

Matt

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Neat! I would love to see pics of the hatchlings.:heart: Or/and a video of them coming out of the eggs!!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
From what I could see though, I'm guessing snake eggs are leathery not hard like bird eggs are? :huh:Your hatchlings have some very striking markings too. :highfive: Congrats!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
How did you sex them? I'm guessing since you mentioned doing it again later that it's not a visible thing?

Will you keep any?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They are beautiful!

Matt

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
From what I could see though, I'm guessing snake eggs are leathery not hard like bird eggs are? :huh:Your hatchlings have some very striking markings too. :highfive: Congrats!
They are round, full, and leathery when laid. A week or so before they are ready to hatch they atart to cave in and the shell becomes like paper. Not like a bird egg at all!

How did you sex them? I'm guessing since you mentioned doing it again later that it's not a visible thing?

Will you keep any?
You can either pop or probe them. I pop my snakes, which inverts their sexual organs through their vent. It is safe and harmless if done correctly. There is a small chance that males will hold in their hemi penes and will pop female. That is why I will double check so I do not sell a female as a male.

I will not be keeping any from this clutch. I will be cutting another clutch tomorrow and depending on what I get, I may keep up to 2 snakes.

They are beautiful!

Matt
Thanks!

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
What are you expecting to get with the other clutch?

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
What are you expecting to get with the other clutch?
8 Different possabilities in this clutch. Looking about the same as these animals with an added gene. I'll make another thread on that clutch if you want. I am really hoping for what is called a Queen Bee, male. Which has 3 genes and is really a good male to have.

It'll talke them a little longer to come out of the egg though as I incubated them at a slightly lower temp.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
8 Different possabilities in this clutch. Looking about the same as these animals with an added gene. I'll make another thread on that clutch if you want. I am really hoping for what is called a Queen Bee, male. Which has 3 genes and is really a good male to have.

It'll talke them a little longer to come out of the egg though as I incubated them at a slightly lower temp.
Although I wouldn't own a snake, I find this rather facinating and liking the different patterns/colours.
Is there a reason why you would prefer to have the Queen Been male as opposed to a Queen Bee female?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Awww!!! Love the second video too. Beautiful babies! All of them are just breath taking and stunning. Love'em!

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole

Although I wouldn't own a snake, I find this rather facinating and liking the different patterns/colours.
Is there a reason why you would prefer to have the Queen Been male as opposed to a Queen Bee female?
I'd like a male because he would replace my current breeder male who is a Butter Spider. A Queen Bee is a Butter Spider Pastel. Another gene added to a male will boost my next breeding season, so instead of having the possability of 3-gene animals, with a Queen Bee male, I have the potential for 4-gene animals.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Any pics of your male breeder, butter spider? And is the mother a normal?

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
Any pics of your male breeder, butter spider? And is the mother a normal?
here you go. Just took a pic of me holding daddy and daughter. Gives you an idea of how they color up as they age. Also here's a pic of momma on her eggs.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.