• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bald spot, black lines, and white feathers?

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
My vet recommends about 80% pellets to seed, and fresh vegetables (no fruit). Is he eating the pellets you're feeding him? You may need to practice a bit of portion control. My two would only eat the seeds from their mix if they had infinite amounts of it. I usually only give a tablespoon of dry mix a day, and another bowl with just pellets.

Lovebirds can be real butt heads when it comes to fresh food. Easiest way is to start by sprinkling seeds into it when you give it to him. You might also want to give it to him first thing in the morning when he's hungriest without anything else in the cage. That being said, I would wait to do that part of it until after you've got him eating pellets. The best / easiest vegetables to start with are sweet corn, leafy greens, and broccoli. Go light on the corn. You might need to change up how it's chopped and served, but keep trying.

Another thing I like to do is to make birdie bread. You can make it such that the main dry base is ground pellets, almond flour, ground flax, etc. I currently use a combination of the three, mashed banana and sweet potato, coconut, cinnamon, hemp hearts, a little Manuka, and whatever vegetables I can find in the house. The birds love it, and it's a really good way to get them eating good food.

As for your op: I don't think the feathers are much to worry about given what he's been through. Wait until he molts, and keep an eye on his bald spot. If it gets bigger or there are more of them, another vet visit might be a good idea. Extra protein in the diet while he finishes recovering is good.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
the nutri-berries mine are on are 80% pellet and 20% veggie fruit mix they don't really eat the fruit though. It ends up getting thrown out of the cage on the floor or at me at times. But they do like the pellets and we give them a little bit of the zupreem fruiti bites once a week for a treat.

As for the feather issue like @LunaLovebird said keep an eye on it. If it does get bigger I would take your bird to the vet for a check up. Gracie had a spot like that not to long ago but then she start molting not to long ago and she has feathers all over the house. So your bird could be getting ready to molt.

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
I did try to find where Jellybean came from. I found him in a different town so I told the dentists office (where I found my bird at) to keep an eye for any posters and I looked online. I didn't see anything for a missing lovebird and my dentists office never called (they would have. We were all concerned about the bird) i looked again a couple days ago and still didn't find anything about a missing lovebird. But it's okay. I'm glad I was able to care for him and have no problem keeping Jellybean anymore (in the beginning I was iffy) thank you guys so much for the suggestions. I will definitely start trying some of those.
Glad to know it's just lovies in general that are picky. Lol

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I did try to find where Jellybean came from. I found him in a different town so I told the dentists office (where I found my bird at) to keep an eye for any posters and I looked online. I didn't see anything for a missing lovebird and my dentists office never called (they would have. We were all concerned about the bird) i looked again a couple days ago and still didn't find anything about a missing lovebird. But it's okay. I'm glad I was able to care for him and have no problem keeping Jellybean anymore (in the beginning I was iffy) thank you guys so much for the suggestions. I will definitely start trying some of those.
Glad to know it's just lovies in general that are picky. Lol
They definitely are! Sherbie doesn't like sweet stuff/fruit. It was fairly easy to get her to eat soaked (and dried off) seeds, then sprouted ones, and then on to trying one veggie at a time. Took a few months but I told Sherbie that I've had more years of being stubborn than her and that I would win. :p Little J.B. will see the light some day, just keep at it.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
They excel at being picky lol And just when you think you have them figured out they will retrain you to their bidding. It's never the same with them it is always going to be something different.

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
My lovie changes every day. As soon as I think I figured out something be likes. He doesn't a couple days later. Lol