• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Balcony Visitor

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
I prefer Parrots much more beautiful and the reason im glad we dont have them is so my birds dont get attacked.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here is a link to the North American Accipters. The Raptor Trust » Accipiters It is a genus of birds of prey. Sharp shins, coopers and goshawks are accipiters. Red tails, red shouldereds, rough legged and broadwinged hawks are buteos. Falcons are members of the falco genus. You probably have American Kestrels around. They are little guys and can also zoom in on bird feeders. However, they are more likely to eat bugs during the summer and mice during the winter. They can also get small birds too.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Great pic and great view off your balcony!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

Heather F

Actually I am aware none of those are here yes they are in Ireland dosent mean they live here in Dublin they live away in the countryside.
Sorry, but some species of birds of prey adapt very well to city life. Peregrine falcons for example are well known for nesting on rooftops of tall buildings in lots of cities and prey mainly on the feral pigeons -- including in Dublin, go ahead and Google it if you don't believe me. Just because you haven't seen them doesn't mean they aren't there.

They're not "bad guys" -- I am perfectly happy to have raptors in the area keeping down the rodents and pigeons, and they are lovely to watch. It just means that because I know that there are hawks and crows in my neighbourhood I don't take my birds outside unless they are in a cage or carrier AND never left unattended - no harness training for me!

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
Thats the thing my birds actually like going out in a harness not in a cage so im glad there are no raptors here and yes they would be cool to look at somewhere else.And im not in the City.

Heather F

Thats the thing my birds actually like going out in a harness not in a cage so im glad there are no raptors here and yes they would be cool to look at somewhere else.And im not in the City.
Also the City isnt very big and we dont have tall tall buildings like say New york.
The nesting peregrine falcons of Dublin's Poolbeg chimneys - falcons in the city
Attempted poisoning of Peregrines in Dalkey - falcons in a park in Dalkey Park, Dublin
Just for your information.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I agree with Heather F. You might not have seen them but you live with birds of prey around you. Just like I do - not in the city but definitely built up suburbia.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree with Heather F. You might not have seen them but you live with birds of prey around you. Just like I do - not in the city but definitely built up suburbia.
I've actually been thinking about reading up on this a little more. I know that the bird of prey situation is a little different over there. I'm under the impression that they were killed off in even larger numbers than what happened in the USA with DDT and killing as vermin. Many of the raptors that are wild there have been reintroduced or have escaped from falconry situations. However, I find it hard to believe that there are not raptors in Dublin. Sparrowhawks are similar to our sharpshins and coopers. It would make sense that they would find a niche in the city there as their relatives have done so here. How boring it would be not to walk outside, look up and often see a raptor flying over. I saw a whole bunch of kestrels, some bald eagles and red tailed hawks flying around yesterday when I was out hunting my red tail. We actually had to turn around and go back because were were getting close to a red tail nest around which the pair have been previously territorial, and I saw eagles soaring not too far beyond that.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Are you anywhere near Decorah? I used to follow them pretty closely a couple of years ago. It wouldn't take a very big bird of prey to take down a smaller parrot; our fids haven't learned to avoid hunters.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you anywhere near Decorah? I used to follow them pretty closely a couple of years ago. It wouldn't take a very big bird of prey to take down a smaller parrot; our fids haven't learned to avoid hunters.
Decorah is the opposite end of the state from me. You know, we have coopers hawks all around town but I never see them or feel threatened by them when I'm out with my parrots on my hand. However, if I had an outdoor aviary, I'd seriously consider double wiring it if I thought I might leave them out without constant supervision. A hawk would be pretty desperate to snatch a pet bird off someone's arm but some pesky cooper's hawks would try to pull one through aviary wire if they could get a foot through. Some hawks can be surprisingly brave when I'm out with my red tail. But they are usually so focused on trying to drive him off, that they aren't too concerned about me. Even the brave ones though will leave as I approach the tree they are in. Some will hang around and try to make trouble and others will leave at first sight of me. A lot of those smaller hawks I rarely see while out walking around, but often see them flying over town or out of the corner of my eye as they dive into a hedge after a sparrow. Prior to starting falconry, I never would have believed someone if they'd said we have coopers hawks all over town. Now I see them all the time. They are quick though and you need to develop a practiced eye. You blink and they are gone and your left wondering if you actually saw what you thought you saw.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
I never said they are not in the country at all they are no where even close to where I live so thats all that matters and I would have no problem hurting one if one were to try and attack my birds.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I never said they are not in the country at all they are no where even close to where I live so thats all that matters and I would have no problem hurting one if one were to try and attack my birds.
Well, to each their own I suppose. In the USA it would be highly illegal to kill a raptor. Personally I tend to think that if I'm doing my job right, I don't have to worry much about what a predator might or might not do because they won't have the opportunity to grab my pets. If disaster happens, its not the raptor's fault for being a hungry predator, its my fault for failing to take precautions. IMO. You'll most likely never have to worry about raptors if they are as uncommon as you say and you keep your pets contained or attached to you.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Well, to each their own I suppose. In the USA it would be highly illegal to kill a raptor. Personally I tend to think that if I'm doing my job right, I don't have to worry much about what a predator might or might not do because they won't have the opportunity to grab my pets. If disaster happens, its not the raptor's fault for being a hungry predator, its my fault for failing to take precautions. IMO. You'll most likely never have to worry about raptors if they are as uncommon as you say and you keep your pets contained or attached to you.
From the links you posted about birds of prey being poisoned it would appear that hurting or killing a bird of prey would be illegal. Frankly, I don't believe I'd be quick enough to stop a hawk grabbing a fid in a harness if I had one outside with me. Mine only go out in their cages and I/family member usually stay on the deck while they're out. As you said to each their own based on their sense of security.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
I wouldnt care if its illegal of course I would protect my babies or atleast myself get hurt so they dont and try stop it.