• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bad weekend (Plucking)!!!!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Oh poor Chaucer! I would say that he's probably stressed from the move. Also, if he isn't used to pellets, that might be part of it. Another thing to be careful of is meds. I know that when I had to put Cooper on meds after his surgery, he nearly pulled every feather out of his body. After we stopped the meds, most of them came back. These guys can be so sensitive to anything artificial you add to their diet. I don't know that I would medicate unless you are sure he needs it and I would probably stop the pellets. What pellets are you feeding him and why did you decide to start the pellets? I also think frequent baths are a plus.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
We moved to ferent state 1 month ago.
The vet put him on antibiotics and pain killer in case it was a bacterial skin infection causing his sudden plucking....
Sorry I didnt mean to offend. But why pain killers? Just curious Is all. And why anti b iotics unless a Fecal was done and proven thst anti biotics are needed? If theyre not needed they create yeast infection. They often create yeast infections even if the anti iotics are needed because it wipes out even the good bacteria and let's fungal (what good bacteria live off of) set in and yeast infections form.

I dont mean to worry you.

bicmeister

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
Oh poor Chaucer! I would say that he's probably stressed from the move. Also, if he isn't used to pellets, that might be part of it. Another thing to be careful of is meds. I know that when I had to put Cooper on meds after his surgery, he nearly pulled every feather out of his body. After we stopped the meds, most of them came back. These guys can be so sensitive to anything artificial you add to their diet. I don't know that I would medicate unless you are sure he needs it and I would probably stop the pellets. What pellets are you feeding him and why did you decide to start the pellets? I also think frequent baths are a plus.
Sorry I didnt mean to offend. But why pain killers? Just curious Is all. And why anti b iotics unless a Fecal was done and proven thst anti biotics are needed? If theyre not needed they create yeast infection. They often create yeast infections even if the anti iotics are needed because it wipes out even the good bacteria and let's fungal (what good bacteria live off of) set in and yeast infections form.

I dont mean to worry you.
No offense taken!
After his last blood panel, my avian vet told me that his protein levels were low and that I should feed him pellets because he thought my diet (bean veggie mash) was insufficient. I added Zupreem natural pellets to his diet; it was also easier to do since I moved into a temporary housing situation after my old lease was up until I could move to Utah. He was still getting fresh foods but now half pellets. In hindsight, that might not have been optimal for him. I've removed the pellets since his plucking. Maybe I should add egg to his diet or more Volkman Soak and Simmer?

The exotic vet in Utah was closed when the SO (I wasnt there for the vet visit) took him to another emergency vet who specializes in cats and dogs but also happens to see birds. Apparently, she took him in the back for an exam and put him on meds in case of a bacterial infection. She did not, however, perform any tests. She said to do this for 2 weeks and remove his cone after that. If he still plucks, then she was going to run a full blood panel on him. She mentioned she thought it likely to be behavioral. (Chaucer is not barbering; he literally is plucking the feathers out) It does sound a bit funny that she prescribed an antibiotic without running any swabs...on the other hand, his feces seem to be back to normal. I've been really busy with this new life transition but I think I'm going to try the exotic vet in Salt Lake.

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
My somewhat unwilling model:
image.jpg

It's fairly worn from 'too chewing so if she had to wear one for more than the few seconds required for a picture I'd need to make Ruffle 2.0.

Stitching close up:
image.jpg

She was glad to be out... On the bright side, if I want her to stay away from something (say the potted plant she loves to nom), all I have to do is put the ruffle by it. Suddenly it's a guaranteed bird-free area!

Antibiotics and pain killers seems to be the go-to for plucking birds (in my limited experience) while the tests are being run. It's really good to do an anti-fungal with the antibiotic to prevent opportunistic yeast infections. @bicmeister, I hope you can find a solid avian vet soon! It's rough when you don't have a good one!

Last edited:

bicmeister

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
View attachment 206506

Stitching close up:
View attachment 206515

She was glad to be out... On the bright side, if I want her to stay away from something (say the potted plant she loves to nom), all I have to do is put the ruffle by it. Suddenly it's a guaranteed bird-free area!

It's fairly worn from 'too chewing so I don't use it on her anymore...

Antibiotics and pain killers seems to be the go-to for plucking birds (in my limited experience) while the tests are being run. It's really good to do an anti-fungal with the antibiotic to prevent opportunistic yeast infections. @bicmeister, I hope you can find a solid avian vet soon! It's rough when you don't have a good one!
i love that collar! i think i have to make one!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
View attachment 206506

It's fairly worn from 'too chewing so if she had to wear one for more than the few seconds required for a picture I'd need to make Ruffle 2.0.

Stitching close up:
View attachment 206515

OMG! Such a cute picture of Rhubarb in her collar! I'm sure she's not thrilled at all though. I can't even imagine putting a collar on any of my Rosies except for maybe Addison...I'd most likely lose some fingers!:)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

bicmeister

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
How is Chaucer doing??
actually, he's doing much better as of today. i've removed the cone for about 4 days and haven't noticed any plucking. he's back on his chop (no pellets), back to his regular cage, taking frequent showers, got a humidifer. fingers crossed that he won't start plucking again! he's got new feathers growing in and luckily i haven't seen any of those on the bottom of his cage.

thanks for asking!!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
actually, he's doing much better as of today. i've removed the cone for about 4 days and haven't noticed any plucking. he's back on his chop (no pellets), back to his regular cage, taking frequent showers, got a humidifer. fingers crossed that he won't start plucking again! he's got new feathers growing in and luckily i haven't seen any of those on the bottom of his cage.

thanks for asking!!
So glad to hear this! I took a look at your blog and just love the pictures! Chaucer is so handsome and Mr. Bubbles...what a character!

bicmeister

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
Chaucer Plucking Update:

His feathers are growing in and so I removed the cone permanently after observing him without the cone for a few days. He seems to have stopped plucking and now I can't wait for his neck feathers (where the cone rubbed) to come in. I'm just worried with the move...I'm moving first followed by the birds at an undetermined time...that he'll be stressed out again and will start plucking again. But for now, he's looking soo much better.

Before

DSC_0929.JPG

After
DSC_1221.JPG

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
if you are using cool water humidifier, please make sure to clean it weekly if not daily. they build up mold very quickly and that is why by my Vet (Dr Barb) recommends steam vaporizer in the room with the birds

bicmeister

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
if you are using cool water humidifier, please make sure to clean it weekly if not daily. they build up mold very quickly and that is why by my Vet (Dr Barb) recommends steam vaporizer in the room with the birds
using a steam vaporizer!