• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

bad night fright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
dally and tsuka had a nasty night fright just a few minutes ago.
tsuka lost half his feathers on his bad wing and skinned a bit of his cere but is otherwise fine.
dally banged her wing pretty good. its not bleeding, she can move it, fly, shake herself off no problem, but she droops it a bit and it looks painful :( is it just bruised?
the reddness is not blood. the dark red spot is a blood blister
for now i calmed them down, gave them scritches, put them back to bed after tending to them... ugh i got work in the morning im gonna be so tired :( but im worried

the twitching of her wings is normal... for her. but its showing she can move it (its her left wing) in the video

and shes slightly drooping it

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I would put perches and food down low and keep them warm by putting a heating pad set on low under one side of their cage. Is there anyone at home that can check up on them during the day?

Ginger

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
:heart::hug8::heart:

I hope your babies will be just fine... great advice from Ginger!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
praying for your babies.....Iw ould follow Gingers advice :hug8:

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
cage is a flight cage but i will try it with a carrier. if that doesnt work--though i have a heating pad, i have a heat lamp i can attach to the cage for her.lucky for me, shes not so flighty in the cage. she climbs, never jumps. worse comes to worse, i will imobolise it though she will hate it (hates wings touched)

lowering the perches with her wont work. she will just climb to the top of the cage and cling there.¸(shes done it)
i just checked her, the reddness and swelling has gone down pretty good. shes not drooping it as much either. so its just a bruise (VERY relieved) but i hooked the heat lamp up anyways so they can both feel better (tsuka lost a lot of feathers off one wing and a few were not quite fully formed and bled a bit, so im sure he will appreciate the warmth too)

definately not as gross as earlier this morning

as for who`s home, i work from 11 to 4 today my fiance works from 6am to 2 pm today... so no one will be home til at least 2:30, i will have him make sure shes ok

Last edited:

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Night frights are very scary... :( I will keep your little girl in my prayers.. :hug8:

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block

i think shes okay though. early this morning i wasnt sure, because it was gross colours and looked bad, but its improving already so im sure its only a bruise and she needs to rest it, thats all. i was worried last night that she might have broken it or sprained it. but shes using it no problem, shes not drooping it no more, and shes flapping when i try to restrain her and she whacked me in the head with it so shes back to normal

my two (more tsuka than dally but they share the cage) are prone to night frights. this one was the worst for dally (not the worst for tsuka). one of our cats, daystar caused it. she walked under the cage stand to sleep under there (normal spot, but birds are easily spooked at night and my fiance accidentally turned the lights down too low so it was too dark)

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
Oh my! :hug8: It does look better in the second pic so that's good! Do they have a little nightlight near their cage? It must be sooo scary to hear them having a fright! :hug8: Sending lots of hugs for You and your fids!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor baby,I hope she will be ok.

Featherpaws

Jogging around the block
well im home early from work (too tired from no sleep last night's ordeal) and got it checked. its just a scrape. i have to put antiseptic cream on it and watch for absesses. thanks everyone :) i was really worried it was broken :(

Status
Not open for further replies.