• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bad news: Canary had a concussion?

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Yes this is very good news, hopefully it was a mild trauma to his head or neck , could have been a spasm and now has resolved itself. Keep us posted on the diagnosis .

Adam21

Strolling the yard
Yes this is very good news, hopefully it was a mild trauma to his head or neck , could have been a spasm and now has resolved itself. Keep us posted on the diagnosis .
Thank you all for the support and help! I did go and the vet hasn't treated many canaries, but she did a general checkup/exam and suggested it could be anything that caused that behavior. She offered an antibiotic that I had to inject but I didn't want to do that for now. He was really startled by being grabbed and I'd hate to put him through that fear. He has been looking well today, hasn't had any neck twisting and even was singing today. I'm hoping too it was mild trauma and he will recover naturally. If something shows up again in the coming week I will take him back for some medicine injections and possibly an X-ray. For now he looks to be active and well again.

Adam21

Strolling the yard
Update: he is looking well today too, but in my other cage one of the females is very aggressive towards another female and in the process is attacking other canaries as well. I saw her bite the neck of another canary and I'm worried she is the one who attacked the father and hurt him. I am going to get another cage now to separate her from everyone. I have no idea why she is this aggressive. She is usually the calm and quiet one.

This is really annoying how they are non stop attacking each other.

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
This is really annoying how they are non stop attacking each other.
Possibly she is in breeding season mode, . It's good to know your injured male is coming around, the aggressive female may have hurt him.
Birds can get very aggressive to the point of doing serious damage to their flock mates..."even to the death "during breeding / hormonal seasons.

Try to do some research on aggression in female /male canaries in a flock environment. At least you hopefully found the source of the cause of injuries to your male.

Breeding season is stressful competing for potential mates, in the wild they can flee from the offending /aggressive bird. You may have to house them in separate cages until the hormonal issues pass.

Last edited:

Adam21

Strolling the yard
Possibly she is in breeding season mode, . It's good to know your injured male is coming around, the aggressive female may have hurt him.
Birds can get very aggressive to the point of doing serious damage to their flock mates..."even to the death "during breeding / hormonal seasons.

Try to do some research on aggression in female /male canaries in a flock environment. At least you hopefully found the source of the cause of injuries to your male.

Breeding season is stressful competing for potential mates, in the wild they can flee from the offending /aggressive bird. You may have to house them in separate cages until the hormonal issues pass.
Thanks for the info, yeah she is in her own cage now. She bit the neck of the other female bird too when I was setting up perches for their cage. For the mother and father I got them a parrot cage, it 8 inches longer in length and very spacious. The mother is noticeable more happy. I might get another parrot cage for the other 5 children canaries. It's a lot more space to work with and they can't cause a mess in the trays when they remove the paper towel with their beaks.

Adam21

Strolling the yard
You might consider 2 cages, one for boys and one for girls if you are keeping them all.
I separate them in three different cages, I can't put the Dad with the boys because one of them keeps attacking him. And two sisters keep attacking each other. So I put the mom and father together, the aggressive girl by herself. And the rest of the kids get along well in their own cage but they probably need a bigger one. The parrot cages are really nice but I need to order some perches online if I get another one for the children. It comes with really thick perches that are not suitable for canaries.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Sounds like my house! And on and on it goes! I have 2 youngsters that I really should sell but they are so CUTE. Do I really want more cages???? LOL

Adam21

Strolling the yard
Sounds like my house! And on and on it goes! I have 2 youngsters that I really should sell but they are so CUTE. Do I really want more cages???? LOL
Lol, yeah it really is a bigger responsibility than most people think. They are all so adorable and I would feel bad giving any of them away.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My friend is like that. I don’t know how many cages she has but more than 20 canaries. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Excellent news. Thanks for the update.