• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Back to school!

SeverelySweet

Sprinting down the street
Today's the day...finally! I've been looking forward to this since the day I withdrew from classes back in California, that's for sure!

It's been a looooong few months, and so much has happened in that time. Syd and I have been on some serious adventures and made some awesome memories. Now it's time to get back into the hectic groove of being back in classes, being up early, and spending more time apart (which is already killing me, and my I haven't even left for my first class lol).

I'm really excited to be going back to a learning environment!

Oh...btw...I left my job at the pet store. They couldn't/wouldn't work around my classes, so I had no choice. Yes, in some ways I'm sad about it...but in others, relieved to no longer have to deal with certain things that really go against my beliefs.

Onward and upward!

Have a great day, family!!!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Congratulations! :geek: What will you be studying?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That is Great!! Congrats! What are you going to study?

SeverelySweet

I'm continuing on with completing my lower division requirements that I started out in California, for Anthropology and Geology. This semester I have Spanish 1 (ugh), Ethics, Humanities, and a basic Computer Applications class. All pretty much easy A's...well, except for Spanish. I slaughter it horribly when I try to speak it, lol...it's such a beautiful language, and I feel SO bad!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Best of luck in school. It's good that you are enthused about it. Sorry that you left your job. Too bad they weren't flexible.
I liked anthropology. Was going to major in it but changed my mind.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Good luck! I don't speak Spanish very well...but can read it, ...I know,,,,dosent make sense..

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Way to go.....

Sorry Syd, it's just so she can make more money for toys.....

SeverelySweet

Best of luck in school. It's good that you are enthused about it. Sorry that you left your job. Too bad they weren't flexible.
I liked anthropology. Was going to major in it but changed my mind.
This should be my last semester doing lower division stuff...I'm hoping to either double major (anthro/geology), or do a Geo minor. It's been a long road...but I've come this far, and won't give up!

Ps...here's a picture of Syd, helping me "test" the cannoli cheesecake batter, earlier today
20180112_100717.jpg

Here's the finished product
20180112_130108.jpg

He also got a shower!
20180112_115053.jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cute photos and the cheesecake looks delicious.
The upper division classes should generally be more interesting since they would be geared more towards your majors.
Those general requirement lower division classes were usually blech if I remember correctly. I guess having to take things you are not interested in supposedly makes you a more well-rounded person. :)

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:pinklol3:I always love pics of you and Syd.

What makes that a Cannoli cheesecake? I thought that just meant cheesecake-flavored cannoli until I saw the pic. I thought cannoli meant it would be something rolled up. :o: Do cannoli have a special flavor, too? I'm not sure I've ever had one.

It looks beautiful, though. I usually have to top my cheesecakes to cover cracks. :unsure1:

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
*yours doesn't look cracked, though. :o: Just realized how that sounded.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I've never made a cheesecake..... my daughter isn't wild about cake (I've found a few she will eat) but recently I've discovered she does seem to like cheesecake. So... how hard are these things?

SeverelySweet

:pinklol3:I always love pics of you and Syd.

What makes that a Cannoli cheesecake? I thought that just meant cheesecake-flavored cannoli until I saw the pic. I thought cannoli meant it would be something rolled up. :o: Do cannoli have a special flavor, too? I'm not sure I've ever had one.

It looks beautiful, though. I usually have to top my cheesecakes to cover cracks. :unsure1:
Lol...yes, the almonds and chocolate chips are actually covering a couple major cracks.

If you've never had cannoli, well...I'm so sorry you've been deprived! Lol!!! They *do* have a very special flavor!

The "cheesecake" is really just the cannoli filling, and the bottom "crust" is the crushed up shells (which are those round tubes). Instead of using the usual cream cheese that's in standard cheesecakes, cannoli is made with ricotta cheese.

It's an extremely rich desert...and, one that I'm pretty sure every Italian household usually has an answer staple for deserts, lol.

SO YUMMY!

The recipe is here:

Cannoli Cheesecake – Hardcore Italians Blog

SeverelySweet

I've never made a cheesecake..... my daughter isn't wild about cake (I've found a few she will eat) but recently I've discovered she does seem to like cheesecake. So... how hard are these things?
Not very difficult at all! A bit time consuming, with all that having to wait for it to chill in the fridge for a couple hours before you can eat it hahaha

Although, I *did* go totally from scratch, and made my own dough for what would have been the shells. But I did the have to worry about frying them into little tubes, because you just crush them up anyhow, to make the bottom crust.

Definitely worth the effort!

SeverelySweet

Lol...yes, the almonds and chocolate chips are actually covering a couple major cracks.

If you've never had cannoli, well...I'm so sorry you've been deprived! Lol!!! They *do* have a very special flavor!

The "cheesecake" is really just the cannoli filling, and the bottom "crust" is the crushed up shells (which are those round tubes). Instead of using the usual cream cheese that's in standard cheesecakes, cannoli is made with ricotta cheese.

It's an extremely rich desert...and, one that I'm pretty sure every Italian household usually has an answer staple for deserts, lol.

SO YUMMY!

The recipe is here:

Cannoli Cheesecake – Hardcore Italians Blog
I have no idea where "an answer" came from in my original post...stupid smartphone!