• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby, splayed legs

Status
Not open for further replies.

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
On October first I got her (not DNA sexed yet) not knowing that she had splayed legs... because the breeder told me that she didn't know how to walk yet I took her home all excited. Later I found out that she had splayed legs and it was serious... ••••es me off that a breeder would do that. I HAD NO IDEA what to do! I didn't know anything about it. But I told baby I'd keep her and we'd get through this. I didn't want to see her go to a bad home.

She's been to the vet many times, and she is improving A LOT. I just wanted to share some pictures.

This is the first day home

I thought it was so cute... but after I researched it, made me very upset. I kept her and started researching...

This is on Halloween:

She's RUNNING now... :lol: she is improving so much. We took off the brace (no pics yet) and she was able to STAY UP! I was so excited, and so was she. She has been improving so much.

She has to go to the vet again tomorrow... I hate what she has to go through. She's so amazing though. I wouldn't trade her for the world. :hug8:
She went from on the floor, not walking at all to running and jumping. :) Little Stinker

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
You are a VERY GOOD MOMMY!! That is great!!

Ginger

Trice

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trice
Erica,

You're a god sent blessing to have kept her. As well as very exceptional mommy to watch over her daily.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:omg: how cute is she!!!!! I love that fluffy expression on her face :heart: That is FANTASTIC news about the improvement in her legs. She is so lucky to have you :hug8:

Sarin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
Wow I applaud you for not giving up on her and deciding to keep her and help her!!! You are an amazing person! She is doing GREAT!! Please keep us updated on her progress. :D

Cannuck

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Danielle
That is great that you kept her and were able to catch it in time to correct! We adopted an older tiel with splay legs and she was an amazing example of strength and determination! Congratulations and do keep us updated with pics!

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Yea for keeping her! I understand, completely. I got my baby lovebird in mid August, only to learn she had metabolic bone disease, leaving her bowlegged. Her breeder did NOT know there was problem & immediately offered to exchange her. I did some soul searching & decided to keep her, even though the breeder said she would not put her down. Part of me worried that she was just saying that to make me feel better. I also had the option of keeping her & getting a second lovie. I would have liked that but don't have the money for vet care for a third bird. So I took option 3...kept her & got my money (from the breeder--not the vet :eek:) The vet student observing Johari's exam looked at her XRay & announced that her little legs looked "like noodles"...and they did :( But she's a happy little girl & gets around well. Has the cutest little waddle. Sometimes her legs slide when she's perching but forked branches & vet wrap take care of that. Here's her doing The Slide (without vet wrap) & the Side Step (with vet wrap). The vet was correct when she told me there was no reason Johari couldn't make a perfectly satisfactory companion bird!

pictures didn't load...i'll try later...got to run now

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
Awww, bless. That is such a sweet looking baby and you are an amazing mommy, as are everyone with birds with special needs.

I always think about people who take care of people or animals with special needs as those with a special assignment from God. He knew that not just any person would do, and thus He picked the people He knew were up for the job and had the biggest hearts.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Erica, Baby is the sweetest baby ever! :hug8:
I'm so glad you didn't give up on her and are giving her the home she deserves! I love it whenever you give me updates on the sweetie.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:omg: What a cutie!! You've done an amazing job! :hug8:
So glad you didn't give up on her :heart:

prettyinpink

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
Thanks everyone! She makes me laugh every day. Even though how much money it is costing (vet bills are SO expensive for a simple piece of tape, which made her swell up and I had to pay for it, and the medicen to make it go down) she is worth it all!
Yea for keeping her! I understand, completely. I got my baby lovebird in mid August, only to learn she had metabolic bone disease, leaving her bowlegged. Her breeder did NOT know there was problem & immediately offered to exchange her. I did some soul searching & decided to keep her, even though the breeder said she would not put her down. Part of me worried that she was just saying that to make me feel better. I also had the option of keeping her & getting a second lovie. I would have liked that but don't have the money for vet care for a third bird. So I took option 3...kept her & got my money (from the breeder--not the vet :eek:) The vet student observing Johari's exam looked at her XRay & announced that her little legs looked "like noodles"...and they did :( But she's a happy little girl & gets around well. Has the cutest little waddle. Sometimes her legs slide when she's perching but forked branches & vet wrap take care of that. Here's her doing The Slide (without vet wrap) & the Side Step (with vet wrap). The vet was correct when she told me there was no reason Johari couldn't make a perfectly satisfactory companion bird!

pictures didn't load...i'll try later...got to run now
Least your vet offered to refund you... She REFUSED to refund me. She told me 'I'm not a breeder, I'm a rescue'. I feel SO stupid for not knowing that they had splayed legs... :( She wouldn't give me anything and said no money or anything without a vet saying it's serious. Well... gezz her legs are sticking out to her sides. I THINK it's serious!!!

I'll upload pics of her later with her brace off. We go in tomorrow. I get so nervous about her vet checkups.

Thanks again everyone! :dancing:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:hug8: Hope the vet visit goes well tomorrow!!

prettyinpink

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
Vet visit went good... I'll update some pics, she's all taped up (her feet that is) again, and she's not too happy about it...

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Erica! This is such a wonderful story about Baby...
I wish more people would understand what happens and what can be done to help most birds....the more you get her story out there, other birds will benefit from it!
Birds don't look at themselves as "handicapped" or special needs...they just do their thing the best they can and they are amazing at what can be done!
You have done a great job with baby and I know will continue to do so...
Looking forward to the new pictures! One step at a time and it doesn't have to be "rushed" either!:hug8:

prettyinpink

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
Thanks Billie, the thing is I think more people would rescue animals if it wasn't for such the high vet bills. I know I would. They get SO spendy. There are so many people out there that do want to help but they really can't afford it.

The first time I took her in it was $60 just to look at her then $80 for xrays, THEN just to put a piece of tape on her it was $60... And I had to do the tape thing three times so that's $30 every time they put it back on.

Just now I got her bracelet taken off because they said it's hard to help with it on and it was just $30 for them to remove it!!!!

It's costing me so much... and I feel bad for all the birds and other animals that do need help but the vet is so much money that they can't afford it. It's so sad.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8:She is adorable and You are a wonderful Parront:hug8:I had a Very splayed Quaker baby years ago and its amazing how well they can adapt and lead a Happy life with a Loving Parront:hug8:

Ede-bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Maureen
She looks so proud of herself standing tall in her hobble - you are an angel birdie mom! :)

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
Aww she's such a cutie! She'll do just great with such a caring and thoughtful mommy!

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
:heart:She's just so precious and you are a dear to help her. I know avian vets are pricey. You would think they would give you a little break knowing what is intailed in this .

Status
Not open for further replies.