• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Parrotlet in San Francisco Bay Area needs home

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZebraQueen

Checking out the neighborhood
hey everyone,

It's with a heavy heart that I am rehoming a baby parrotlet that I've owned for about a week. I don't want to go into details, but I simply am not in a place where I can take care of her. I absolutely adore her, but I know that she needs a home where she can get more attention and care than I can provide for her. I wanted to find her a home while she's still a baby and can still be socialized really well.

I've named her Frida and she's very sweet (especially for a parrotlet). She doesn't like hands very much and doesn't know how to step up onto a finger yet. She will step up onto a perch though, no problem. She loves sitting on my shoulder and playing in my hair. She'll do that for hours if I let her. She isn't too nippy, especially once she's out of her cage. She comes right out of her cage on her own and will fly over to say hi. I can scoop her right up and she might give a small nip (but not hard or painful at all) and then sits happily on my shoulder. She's a great eater. Her breeder had her on a seed blend (booo!) but she has eaten the fresh foods that I've provided her. Loves raspberries and cucumbers a lot. Not so much with spicy peppers so you can skip those. Her seed blend does contain some pellets and she eats those, so I think she'll transition to a pellet and fresh diet without too much difficulty. I wanted to slowly transition her because I just got her. If she stays with me for longer, then I'll be working on changing her diet.

So far she's mostly quiet. Will sometimes let out a pretty adorable soft chirp but otherwise, just stays quiet. However, if she hears another bird all bets are off. She will let out this really loud (well, not like macaw loud, but it was surprising the first time she did it!) chirping scream sound. She could very well do this at other times but for now I've only noticed her doing this if she hears other birds.

She comes with a Hagen vision cage, a carrier, 4 toys, a swing, perches, and about a month's supply of food (her seed blend and a dry bean mix that the shop had been giving her). She'll also come with all of her paperwork. She was seen by a vet a few days before I got her and got her wings and nails clipped then as well.

I am asking for a rehoming fee of $150 simply to cover the cost of the cage and supplies. I'm really not out to make a profit at all. My main priority is finding a good home for her, which is why I'm posting here. I am not in a rush to part with her. I just know I can't give her a long term home, like I thought I'd be able to. I've been doing research on parrotlets for years and really thought I'd be able to give her a good home but I just can't right now. I'd ask that anyone who adopted her would keep me updated especially if they also needed to rehome her. I'd want the option to find her a new home or even take her in myself if I have that ability. I can't travel outside of the Bay Area. Furthest south would be San Jose, and furthest east would be Oakland.

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry that you need to rehome her. She is very cute and I hope you can find her a wonderful new home.
Before you rehome is there anyone who could take her in temporarily?

Dhruv

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi,

I can possibly adopt your parrotlet. I will have to think about it though.

Thank you anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.