• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby lovebird

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Lol thanks Kiwi is a she lol! :p your welcome!

He might need formula like once Or twice a day. Try giving him the veggies in the morning. Thats when they are more hungrier! I read one should feed veggies in the morning, It works with my girls they both eat their veggies in the morning! :)
See fate its telling You: 1st the hawks, then the gusting winds, message is keep the little guy! :p :hehe: @rockybird

Last edited:

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
He is too young to survive on his own also parents might not accept after a 48- 72 hours period. The one time i raised 4 chicks i tried to put one back with the mom and she attacked it! I Was told females don't recognize their offspring that You take after that period and that is Maybe because it smells human and they reject them! :wideyed:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Wow I didnt know parents would reject them. That is not comforting! I dont know what to do now. I will try warm vegetables in the AM. He has been eating safflower seeds in a parrot mix. Should I add some parakeet seed?

I truly dont want him, but of course I wont let any harm come to him. He is meant to fly and he cant fly in my house - there is too much glass.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
If you can get any LaFeber baby bird food that can also be given to wild bird chicks though the container is HUGE. i believe Kaytee sells a much smaller envelope of baby bird food but I don't know if it can be fed to wild baby birds also.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
I always used Kaytee exact and Hagen! As baby food formula. Try adding parakeet seeds to the mix.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh poor little guy,so glad you were able to help him. I hope his flock comes back soon and he's able to rejoin them without any issues.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks guys! I added some parakeet seeds and crumbled some walnut and millet seeds, but it does look like he is eating a lot of safflower seeds. I had to run into work, but when I left he was settling down to eat.

I am nervous to try and catch him to hand feed him as he is much more active today than yesterday. He is not so docile, I think because he is feeling better. He does seem to like when I sit next to the cage.

I called the vet's office and spoke to the staff. They thought it would be best to let him go when I see the flock come by tomorrow. If it ends up not looking safe and for some reason he stays with me, I will try to find him a home. But I really want him to go back with his flock where he can fly.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Try to put Some of the formula in the dish where You put the seeds..

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Baylee4ever - do you think I can try baby food? Maybe some sweet potatoes?

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Yes try that too plus some cooked warm carrots..probably parents hadnt had the chance to teach him other foods besides seeds..@rockybird

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
I wish I were closer as would love to provide a home if unable to find his flock family.

Bird_lover6

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JoJo
Maybe the local conservation group could release him to different flock when he is ready to go? Does he have to go back to the original flock if he is eating on his own?

Good luck whatever you decide!

Tweet

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jacklyn
He is too young to survive on his own also parents might not accept after a 48- 72 hours period. The one time i raised 4 chicks i tried to put one back with the mom and she attacked it! I Was told females don't recognize their offspring that You take after that period and that is Maybe because it smells human and they reject them! :wideyed:
Actually, a mother smelling human on her chicks and rejecting them is just a tall tale. They can't really smell you, or what I have learned. Last summer we had a tornado and I found 3 robin checks in the grass after, I kept checking on them but never saw the mother for 48 hours. So I took them in and fed them until I saw the mother back again. All babies were healthy and fine, placed them back and she was excited to see them! :D so happy. I watched them grow that summer they always hung around my fence so cute,

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
@Tweet Parrots are different. I hand raised 4 lovies chicks and i thought of returning 1 to the hen after 3 days and she attacked it through the cage bars and was very angry of seeing an 'intruder'. I in fact decided to put the chick in the nest box to see If she wanted to raise him, she pushed him out of the nest! I do think parrots have smell.
From this page: Parrot Senses - The world of African Greys
Smell:
Parrots also seem to have an underdeveloped sense of smell. Smells dissolve rather quickly in the air. Because birds spend most of their time in the air, this may be the reason why it is assumed that birds have a poor sense of smell.

Last edited:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
He is doing good. He seems to be eating okay. The lovebirds did not come to the feeder today but there were lots of wild birds there and no hawks. I put his cage outside hoping they might call to each other. He called a lot, but they did not come. I am sure they will be back in the next day or so. I think the hawk scared them away. Now that he has recovered, he is not so docile. He is much more active. He does seem to like my company, but not my hand in the cage.

Here is a pic of him today. He also has a branch perch, but seems to like the dowel more. Since this is temporary, I dont really care.

Last edited:

Tweet

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jacklyn
@Tweet Parrots are different. I hand raised 4 lovies chicks and i thought of returning 1 to the hen after 3 days and she attacked it through the cage bars and was very angry of seeing an 'intruder'. I in fact decided to put the chick in the nest box to see If she wanted to raise him, she pushed him out of the nest! I do think parrots have smell.
From this page: Parrot Senses - The world of African Greys
Smell:
Parrots also seem to have an underdeveloped sense of smell. Smells dissolve rather quickly in the air. Because birds spend most of their time in the air, this may be the reason why it is assumed that birds have a poor sense of smell.
Oh my gosh I totally forget that he was a love bird, pff I got caught up thinking about the native wild birds in the north/northeast. Yes you are completely right my apologiez.

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
Poor little guy. Perhaps if he can't be reunited with his flock you can find a good home for him.

Tweet

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jacklyn
I'm sure if you let him go with out a flock he could survive on his own. He is wild, he may also find his flock better then we could for waiting it out.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Tweet Yes - I am thinking of letting him go in the AM. I think the flock lives around here. What do you all think?