• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Love bird wont stop begging for food

TD_queen

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Michelle
Hi, not a breeder or anything, but I have been raising baby birds for years. mostly canaries and ringnecks. most of them adopted. but its my first time to handfeed a lovebird. got him for a week now.

This love bird, is the most hyper bird i have ever handled in my life. ( I would say similar to a child with ADHD) he does not play, cuddle, sleep with me or me on his sight, or let me pet him. all he does is to jump around and beg for more formula even his crop is full and just fed. he won't stop trying to get out from wherever I try to put him, crying and trying to be with me. but even if i take him all he does is to try to suck my fingers and jumping to be in my face while screaming. I do not feed him when his crop is not empty, he is eating 40 - 50 ML a day, he usually eats 5 times a day 10 ml each or until his crop is full.

They never told me what his/her age is. they do not know. the pet store owner gave him to me as he does not want to take care of him. below is his photo when i got him 6 days ago.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
He looks really young to me. (And cute.) Honestly, I think too young for him to have been at a pet store yet. It's good you have hand feeding experience. I don't have baby bird experience but will tag some others.

@karen256 ? @Birdbabe ?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Here is a helpful article. It's about cockatiels- which are obviously bigger- so the amounts won't be correct for a lovie but it may be helpful in general. Hand-Feeding and Weaning

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe he needs a wellness check to rule out any gastrointestinal, or crop nasties. You can put a few drops of Braggs apple cider vinegar in his formula to keep his crop clean. Maybe he was only handled for feeding, He may just need some cuddling and reassurance...geez, ,hes cute.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is very cute. I assume you are weighing him daily. Maybe all the breeder did was feed him and put him back into the brooder without spending any additional time with him.