• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Baby Bird Farm (Illinois)

Skipper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Scott Schifer
Hi,

Does anyone know what happened to the records from the late Cliff Patterson's Baby Bird Farm? I have rescuded one his Conures and would love to find out any info for leg band BBF 2780.

Thank you,
Scott and Gilligan.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
The Rolling Meadow fair is this coming Saturday and that's when I'll be able to pick the brains of anyone who can remember or might know what happened to his birds/paperwork. He had been in hospital for quite a while after he'd fallen and broken both legs (Oct. 2008). From the emails I have after that he must have gone into rehab and I thought he'd actually been able to go home until he got ill (breathing problems) and was back in hospital again. As far as I can remember, from there he ended up in hospice and there was a woman, Sandy Schultz or Holtz (?) who'd been babysitting/helping to care for his birds.

I do remember that he'd had someone going to the house before his last illness while he was in hospital but they didn't stay at the house. People must have known because his house was broken into and I believe that was when Sandy moved the birds to her place, but I'm not positive. The last I'd heard was that an "adoptive son" of Cliff's had taken the birds back and all the toys/things that Cliff used to sell.

While typing this rather long saga, I remembered that Cliff used to take some of his birds to be seen by Dr. Scott McDonald @ The House of Birds Scott E. McDonald So I took a chance and called and spoke with Gloria, one of the owners of the HOB. She said that no-one took over Cliff's business as he really didn't have any family BUT her suggestion was that you try contacting Dr. Scott when he returns from climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro, in Tanzania, Africa. Gloria said that with any luck Dr. Scott might still have the records for the birds of Cliff's he did see and might be able to shed some light on any records/info.

Per Gloria - Cliff didn't breed his own birds, he bought babies @ 2-3 weeks of age and hand raised them. By the time I got mine (11/2008 & 02/2009) he'd been laid up for a while and was no longer banding them.Dr. Scott should be back State side by Sept. 15th and he does have an email address on his website. He also does travel out to CA (he was out there in August) so you might be able to meet up with him.

Skipper

Real Name
Scott Schifer
Sandra,

Thank you so much for looking into this for me. I willl contact Dr. Scott later this month after he has time to catch up with things.
What I will never know, is how Gilligan got all the way out here to Southern California. I don't think he flew on his own!

Best to you and your feathered friends.

Thank you,
Scott

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
Could have been someone who was from around here and was transferred/moved to the West coast; circumstances change/people split up/can't keep their companion creatures/have children/allergies ....I hope you are able to get some answers in your quest. :hug8:

Skipper

Real Name
Scott Schifer
Well, I was way off. I just stopped by Petco and discovered all of their Conures have green BBF leg bands just like Gilligan's. So he probably came from Petco here in Torrance. The manager says they do not keep records, but they get them from a breeder in Arizona.

The quest continues.

Thank you so much for the help.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
You never know where a quest will lead you :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :jeanie:
I was going to post earlier that I'd found an old card of Cliff's when Sandy STOLTZ was taking care of his birds and has her handwritten phone # on it. That's a moot point though at this time.

Last edited:

Skipper

Real Name
Scott Schifer
Just to close this out. If anyone is looking for the breeder associated with blue leg bands marked BBF, they are

Barneys Pets
13325 Benson Ave, Chino CA.
(909) 591-4200

They seem to breed everything but kids.

But do not bother calling. They supply to Petco and Petsmart and only give infomation to them. You have to have the stores contact them with your questions.

Kyla

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kyla
I also have a conure with a BBF band and would like to find out more info about my buddy. Thanks for the info on having pet store contact them directly.

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
Well, I was way off. I just stopped by Petco and discovered all of their Conures have green BBF leg bands just like Gilligan's. So he probably came from Petco here in Torrance. The manager says they do not keep records, but they get them from a breeder in Arizona.

The quest continues.

Thank you so much for the help.
I got my sun Conure from a private person but they got him at Petco in Las Vegas. His Band number also starts with BBF. I did go to the Petco where I was told he was purchased & they did verify he came from there. But had no info. I have been trying to get info for years. I got her in 2002. Maybe she came from the breeder in AZ too.
I my checking of the bird band I was told she may of come from a place called Bernis bird farm in CA or Bracken bird farm. From what I was told they are out of business.
I am finding out there are several that use the BBF code on the leg bands. Guess we will never find out info.

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
Just to close this out. If anyone is looking for the breeder associated with blue leg bands marked BBF, they are

Barneys Pets
13325 Benson Ave, Chino CA.
(909) 591-4200

They seem to breed everything but kids.

But do not bother calling. They supply to Petco and Petsmart and only give infomation to them. You have to have the stores contact them with your questions.
Now that makes sense. My conure came from Petco & someone here told me she may of come from this place because of the band #. I could never find any info on this place. I'm sure I wouldn't find out anything bans my bird is about 15 years old.
Thanks

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Now that makes sense. My conure came from Petco & someone here told me she may of come from this place because of the band #. I could never find any info on this place. I'm sure I wouldn't find out anything bans my bird is about 15 years old.
Thanks
You may still be able to find info. My cockatiel was 20 and I was still able to track down the information from his leg band and find his breeder- and he also came from a pet store.