• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Bǎoshí

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My beautiful Bǎoshí was not granted the most auspicious start to her life.

One day, during her ravenous search for ways to "bring the outdoors in" at the afterschool program where I work, my boss had the idea to buy a couple fish that the kids could feed and admire. I was against the idea from the get-go, since I know our kids and the things they were likely to "feed" said unfortunate fishes, but my boss wouldn't hear an argument against her. She never has.

I hoped, naively, that getting a couple of fish meant maybe a shoal of guppies in a ten gallon with all the trappings of a well-maintained aquarium.

NOPE.

A few days later I walk into work, and there, in a two-gallon fish bowl with a single plastic plant, are two fantail goldfish.

Guys, I almost strangled her.

Immediately I went on a (desperately civil) tirade about how fantails can grow to six inches long, that it's a myth that fish only grow to the size of their tank (because they die), that a large tank and powerful filter media were necessary due to the amount of ammonia they produce, every single thing I could think of to convince her that this was, in no uncertain terms, abuse.

But since she'd spent $50, which apparently she thought was a lot, she ignored me.

That day we did a name draw for the two fish with the kids, and the pair were named Jack and Jewel.

I did my very best to protect those poor fish, explaining to the kids in detail about their care and that no, putting crayons in their bowl is not okay, trying to keep up with water changes, but they were getting sick fast.

When Spring Break rolled around, my boss assumed without asking that I would be the one to take the pair home and look after them while the program was closed, and I gladly did. While at home with me they were moved into a 40-gallon that I found for free on Kijiji, and in that single week they thrived like never before and grew an amazing amount. When Break ended I reluctantly put Jack and Jewel back into their awful little bowl, because there was no way we could have a 40 gallon at work when we're constantly having to move things around, and brought them back to their nightmare of screaming children and dirty water.

Tragically, the transition back stole Jack's life away when he was still only a baby.

Then Summer Vacation came, and again I was given Jewel to babysit.

This time, I didn't bring her back. I would never let her go through that again.

With her new life came her new name, 寶石 (Bǎoshí) -- Gem. She was moved into a 75 gallon planted aquarium,and after a while she had a new brother, 金龍 (Jīnlóng).

Jīnlóng thrived and grew like a weed, having never been subjected to suffering, but Bǎoshí was still sickly, and suffered almost constantly with swim bladder disease. Her vet ruled out environmental factors, telling me that her water was perfect and her diet outstanding, but she wasn't healthy like her little brother.

For four years now, Bǎoshí has been fighting, and I've been fighting with her. But in the end it was all too much, and today she passed away.

I'm heartbroken. I was really hoping that one day we'd get her strong again, and she'd live out a long and full life. I miss her terribly.

Goodbye, my darling. I love you.

Baoshi.png

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I am so sorry! I cry when I lose a fishy cuz I always wonder what I could have done better for them. Blessings...

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That´s so sad.

I´m so glad Gem got to live out her life with you.

Rest in peace Baoshi and Jack. My condolences. ❤

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
I'm so sorry for your loss, I'm glad that she had four years with you. It sounds like she had a great set up with you.
Swim free, Baoshi and Jack.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I'm so sorry for your loss of Baoshi.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I am so sorry for your loss

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so sorry, she was beautiful.
:sadhug2:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I'm sorry. She had four more years than she would have... and swam her little heart out in a spacious home with love. Hugs.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm sorry honey,,,you gave her a good life..swim free little girl!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry for your loss.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so miserable. I've been thinking for a while about adding a bristlenose pleco and a small group of dojo loaches to the tank but I never got around to it, and now with the loss of his only tankmate, Jīnlóng is completely alone. He's lived with Bǎoshí for almost his entire life; I got him when he was still only an inch-long sprout.

Goldies are schooling fish, so I can't just leave him in there all by himself, but there's no replacing Bǎoshí. Not ever. She was amazing. :sad11:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry for your loss.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I'm so sorry. I know how you feel. I've lost two of my beautiful outdoor goldfish to birds this week. Happens every spring and I keep saying no more fish but SO keeps replacing them.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry for your loss :sorrow:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia

Karnkate

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karnkate (Lookkaew/Crystal)
I’m sorry for you and Baoshi.

Ugh! These ignorant people! I don’t know what a fantail is until you show me the picture of her (I call them by their Japanese name “Ryukin”).
They are one of those “common ornamental goldfish”, but probably are one of the hardest to keep if you really want them to thrive AND look beautiful at the same time (I used to keep show-grade ornamental goldfish for competition...pretty much like dog shows but with fish instead of dogs).

Baoshi lived a happy life with you and she knew that. I even would think that she’s grateful of your time with her. Goldfish don’t have 3 second-span memory like what people think.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m sorry for you and Baoshi.

Ugh! These ignorant people! I don’t know what a fantail is until you show me the picture of her (I call them by their Japanese name “Ryukin”).
They are one of those “common ornamental goldfish”, but probably are one of the hardest to keep if you really want them to thrive AND look beautiful at the same time (I used to keep show-grade ornamental goldfish for competition...pretty much like dog shows but with fish instead of dogs).

Baoshi lived a happy life with you and she knew that. I even would think that she’s grateful of your time with her. Goldfish don’t have 3 second-span memory like what people think.
Ryukin and fantail are actually two different types. :) Ryukin have a much higher back and more compact body shape.