• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avipow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jazzysmama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Hope I'm posting this in the right place. Anyone here use Avipow on a regular basis? If so, how often do you feed it and what is your opinion of it?

Jazzysmama

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
This is called a supplement which you might think that is something you'd regularly supplement their diet with on an ongoing basis. Thats what I think when I see the word supplement, IMO. I just found another site that says it's NOT for long term use and should only be used when the bird is suffering from yeast,etc... So I guess I just found the answer to my own question.:lol:

Barb E

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
My B&G, Ollie recently had a bacterial infection in his nose.
He was being treated with nasal flushes and antibiotic drops.
However, he developed some yeast growth during the treatment.

I offer Herb Salad in a separate bowl and to this I added some Avipow during his illness.
He ate some everyday for awhile and then stopped. At his next vet appt. he was given a clean bill of health.
I don't know which treatment did the job or maybe it was a combination of both???

Initially, I tried mixing the Avipow with yogurt (he loves this) or Pbutter to make it more pallitable. It looks and smells like ground up tree bark (probably what it is actually).
Ollie preferred taking it as a powder in his Herb Salad bowl. I put 1 tsp in a pile at the side of the bowl every day.

I would'nt offer it all the time as this would be wasteful, IMO.

Hope this helps.
Barb

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
We use AviPow here when we feel one of our birds to be a little off or have poops we consider suspect. Avi-Pow has good antibacterial and antifungal properties. Like any herb or antibiotic it should not be used all the time as it will not be effective when you need it. I recommend all bird owners keep it in their emergency care kit. Using AviPow has many benefits but does not take the place of a vet visit should you have a sick bird.

Like Barb has suggested we sprinkle AviPow on a peanut butter sandwich or sprinkle on their food.

Status
Not open for further replies.