• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avian vet visit question

MurrayMacaw

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Will Loftin
I took Murray to a local avian vet that came recommended. Just for an initial checkup. I got him from the breeder in mid-November. They did not give him immunizations of any kind. Is this normal? I had never heard of birds getting immunized, but recently heard someone mention it and it got me thinking... is it recommended? He’s only had a DNA test to confirm he’s a male and poop culture, which came back with good results. The doctor just made some diet suggestions (which were all good) and didn’t make any statements about immunization. Can someone clear this up for me?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Murray is a cutie pie. I hate to admit this but after owning macaws for 21 years I don't know about vaccinations. My birds have been so chronically ill that they see their vet two or three times per years and my vet has never mentioned vaccinations.

I'll call someone who probably will know. @Mizzely

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That's true, I'll delete it. It's just that I always think of you and her first. :ashamed3:

Our vet hasn't mentioned vaccines either.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Eliy is vaccinated as baby but I have never done it myself.
The reason it was done was because one of the babies was going to a country that demanded it.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My bird, a former aviary breeder, hasn't been vaccinated against anything other than West Nile and that was months ago. His current vet hasn't mentioned any immunizations, but I don't think it would hurt to ask. I don't know if some species are more susceptible to diseases than others. As far as the West Nile vaccine, my bird lives indoors, but since mosquitoes are pretty big in TN, I guess the vet thought it was necessary. I'll ask my current vet about further immunizations by next Spring since I take him outside with a harness and a sun cage; my backyard has a TON of mosquitoes.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I asked my vet after reading some information about bird vaccines. I was told it is not common and it was recommended to me that it is usually only considered for chickens here in Aus and only for certain places I think. I do not know of anything other than being told it was not something I had to worry about.