• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avian Gastric Yeast- Sad Update- Post #19

Birdmom99

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sab
Does anyone know if this is what AGY looks like under microscope? My vet says it’s highly suspicious of AGY but it’s not a very definitive answer. PCR test for AGY was negative and now we are sending out two fungal cultures to get more info.
My budgie has been on ampho for 20+ days and this is what it looks like.

Attachments

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

Birdmom99

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sab
Thank you. The thing is my culture looks more segmented whereas the one in the article look like a whole organism. So I’m not sure and neither is the vet :(

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You can collect fecal samples over a few days time and mix them together as the organisms do not always shed in every fecal movement.

Is your sweetie symptomatic ?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Lady Jane haven't you dealt with this issue?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@April I never looked at the cells under a scope. My heart budgie, after a long unsuccessful treatment, died from AGY. I will remember that time forever.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@April I never looked at the cells under a scope. My heart budgie, after a long unsuccessful treatment, died from AGY. I will remember that time forever.
So sorry to hear that you lost your heart budgie to AGY I admittedly don't know much about but I knew I'd recalled you talking about it before.

Birdmom99

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sab
You can collect fecal samples over a few days time and mix them together as the organisms do not always shed in every fecal movement.

Is your sweetie symptomatic ?
Yes he has symptoms such as regurgitating, weight loss, vomiting mucous. The thing is his symptoms were a lot less and since he’s been on ampho for a few weeks it has ramped up those symptoms and made it worse

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Of course it will get worse on AmpB. It's toxic stuff. You want to make very sure the yeast is gone before stopping medications as you don't want to do this again.

Birdmom99

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sab
Of course it will get worse on AmpB. It's toxic stuff. You want to make very sure the yeast is gone before stopping medications as you don't want to do this again.
Ive heard from a number of vets that ampho commonly has no side effects. If it was given intravenously, yes, but as budgies are taking it orally and their metabolism is so fast, a majority of cases get better on ampho instead of worse. Not really sure what to believe

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I almost lost my macaw to AGY and I watched first hand how much sicker he got from the ampB. I really thought the AmpB would kill him before the AGY took him. I'm not sure what vets you have been consulting with that would tell you any antifungal medication has no side effects but they are not vets I would visit again.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The Ampho can do harm to the kidneys. Not just birds but humans too.

Birdmom99

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sab
The Ampho can do harm to the kidneys. Not just birds but humans too.
Got it, I was shocked when they said that. I’m going to another vet for a second opinion next week. Did you give your bird anything for the kidneys or liver? Or supportive care? I’m also feeding him bird street bistro and seed but not sure if that is the right diet

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
In the treatment he was given some kind of tea and also ACV. So i would say supportive care/comfort as best i could. He had a cage mate female that remained healthy. This is an old thread you can read

Chipper was a real talker.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Got it, I was shocked when they said that. I’m going to another vet for a second opinion next week. Did you give your bird anything for the kidneys or liver? Or supportive care? I’m also feeding him bird street bistro and seed but not sure if that is the right diet
They are members here from all over the world. If you give us a general idea of where you live, such as the country and state/province/etc., someone may be able to recommend an excellent veterinarian to you.

Birdmom99

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sab
They are members here from all over the world. If you give us a general idea of where you live, such as the country and state/province/etc., someone may be able to recommend an excellent veterinarian to you.
I live in NYC. Tomorrow I’m going to see a vet named Dr Quesenberry. She looks like she has a lot of knowledge and I’m praying she can help my budgie

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Responding very late: this looks like avian gastric yeast to me. They reproduce by fission which is why you see some lines of 2, 3, 4 dark rods.