• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avian Gastric Yeast in Pigeon

Slishie925

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Ben
Hi everyone, I’ve never used this forum before, I hope this is the right place to post this.
I have a pet pigeon named Diamond. I took him to the vet for a checkup recently and we found out that he has yeast in his system. The doctor wasn’t able to tell me if this was serious or not, and basically just told me to put apple cider vinegar in his water for a month, and bring another fecal sample in for her to test next month. I’ve been doing some googling, and it looks like gastric yeast is actually very serious and I’m extremely concerned. Diamond is fine at the moment, muscular, lots of energy, eating and drinking fine. But his mate, Opal just died unexpectedly two weeks ago from what I am now starting to suspect was also yeast….although I don’t know for sure. I’m trying not to panic, but I’m really scared right now. How serious is this? And is there anything other then apple cider vinegar that I can give him to make sure this doesn’t get out of control? This bird is like my kid, I can’t handle losing him too. Thank you - Ellie

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hi Ellie/Ben

AGY can certainly be serious.

There may be some information in this thread for you- sorry I have not double checked as I am in the middle of a few things at the moment but I will try to remember to come back later and see if others have helped you out too.

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
ACV is the first, home treatment for mild gastric yeast. Basically it works by lowering pH; and it really does work. But if the infection is really rampant or the bird has some other health issue predisposing to yeast overgrowth, then I would think an antifungal would be the next step.

BUT Apple cider vinegar, especially “live with the mother” should help many cases. It’s a very reasonable treatment and better to not bring on the “big guns” if you don’t need to.

I guess I would request more help if it’s not working or if the bird is getting worse.

Last edited:

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
There are different kinds of yeast. Candida being the more common one, that can get out of balance. Did the vet actually says AGY???? Which is more a mega bacteria

Because from his recommendation I'm thinking candida.

You might find this link useful.
Graphic content warning! The link contains necropsy pictures, pictures of internal organs and deceased birds.

Last edited: