• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Avian Adventures Loro flight cage?

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I spoke with Expandable Habitats today and they said they will not any orders for .5 inch bar spaced cages until the end of the yr. I have been considering splurging on one for my two busy body parakeets. As I want to get my parakeets a bigger cage, I have it narrowed down to two cages:

One is a blue HQ flight cage, 32x21x35:

Two is a Loro flight cage, 30x24x36:

The cage is going here in place of the blue cage:

Does anyone have experience with the AA loro flight cage? I dont know what to think of the top. Is the top removable? I dont want them to feel confined. I read there is a grate on the top under the slanted top, so I am hoping that might help with the sun during the day, as I do currently have to cover part of their cage. On the other hand, I dont want them to feel confined. This cage seems to have great reviews. What do you all think of it aesthetically and functionally, as compared to the HQ cage? maybe I should just get the flt. cage as it is cheaper, and I wont feel bad if I upgrade to EH next yr?

Thanks!!!

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
I don't see how that cage could be much different in quality from other flight cages. Does it only come in white? I know if you went with A&E you could get that blue color you like.

BUT if you are not married to the blue, why not go with this one? It's an XL version of a normal flight cage. The next best thing to a double-flight (which would really be ideal since they spend all their time in the cage). Prevue Extra Large Wrought Iron Flight Bird Cage F050 - FREE SHIPPING!

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well, I don't have the Loro, but I do have a Mediana AA cage, and it's the best cage I've ever owned! I would spring for two Loros in a heartbeat if I knew I could remove that top :p

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
One other thing - that door is kind of small looking!

the website at birdscomfort.com does say "removable roof allows you to put a full spectrum light on top grate, replace roof and your birds will receive simulated sunlight!"

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't think it's possible for your birds to feel closed in with that giant window! I think it would be a great cage, roof or no roof.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
The top comes off. There is one of these cages at the bird rescue I used to volunteer at. :)

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks guys! If anyone happens to have a pic of the cage with the roof off, that would be great!

Thanks for the link Moonchild. I still havent decided which one to get and I'll include that one in my list.

I have an avian adventures mediana cage that is 10+ yrs old. It has held up pretty well, and I wouldnt be adverse to getting another..I just dont know about that top!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't see how that cage could be much different in quality from other flight cages. Does it only come in white? I know if you went with A&E you could get that blue color you like.

BUT if you are not married to the blue, why not go with this one? It's an XL version of a normal flight cage. The next best thing to a double-flight (which would really be ideal since they spend all their time in the cage). Prevue Extra Large Wrought Iron Flight Bird Cage F050 - FREE SHIPPING!
Thats so big! They would have so much room! Awesome!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a Loro flight cage for my dusky conure. You do not have to attach the roof and I have it set up without. The bars flex to some extent but for
parakeets that shouldn't be problematic. I have several AA cages and I was not as pleased with this as the Chiquita or Mediana models but probably because I had several quality issues with it. To me it doesn't look like a pure white but more of an eggshell/off white color. Don't know what prices you are finding for the Loro Flight but Petsolutions.com has it for $259.99, free shipping and you can get $10 off as a new customer. Loro Flight at Petsolutions.com

Last edited:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks! Can you post a pic without the top?

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you so much! That is a huge help. The price for the cage that you posted is not bad either!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Do you find it hard at all to decorate or clean with the door? It seems rather small, but its hard to tell :)
No it's really not that difficult at all. I do prefer, though, a door that opens downward like a platform especially for a smaller bird. I am planning on adding a removable platform so that when the door is opened it is easier for my dusky to climb out. I liked the doors on the Marvelous Chateau but, unfortunately, it appears that Marvelous Cage Company is out of business. I did see some of their cages for sale online but that website was charging at least two times more than Petco was charging. The doors on the XL Chateau are an excellent size and the addition of the drop down platform door within the large swing out door was a great design, although the latch on the platform door is not the best.

Back to the Loro...the one problem I found with decorating was when I added screw on perches and some of the bars would flex. Regarding the door, it has a wide frame surrounding it and also a wide bar above and below which can make it difficult for a smaller bird to climb out. This is why I like the idea of adding the removable platform. It's not at all difficult to reach inside and add toys. You can also add items by accessing the inside of the cage via the swing out food bowl doors.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you so much! That is a huge help. The price for the cage that you posted is not bad either!
You are welcome. I think overall it is a good cage but probably not one of my favorites when compared to the others I have. My dusky seems
to like it. :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Rockybird,

Just wondering if you wound up purchasing the Loro flight, or if you you didn't which cage you decided to purchase.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have not decided! I wish I could find a 36" x 24" cage that is appealing to the eye with 1/2" or 5/8" spacing. This is for two parakeets and is going into an area where it will be very visible. I actually like the look of the loro cage with the top removed, but I have been searching (in vain) for a larger cage. I would go ahead and order Expandable Habitats, (despite the huge price), except they are not making cages with .5 inch spacing until next yr. I am tempted to get an HQ fly cage for now, and then maybe expand to an EH later.

GlassOnion

Have you looked into Freedom Cages? They also do stainless custom work.