• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Automotive clear coat safe?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I recently got a new (used) California cage for Andre. His previous California cage the tray is all blistered and rusted from his poops. I have not had this issue with any of my other birds.

My question is can I safely use Rust-oleum automotive clear coat ON THE TRAY ONLY to provide a more corrosion resistant surface. I know I would have to paint it outside. And I would have to allow it to cure for a couple weeks away from the birds. But would that be enough to make it safe.

He doesn't usually come in contact with the tray. And he doesn't chew on the metal.

@JLcribber @Dartman

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
You can place a transparent oil cloth on it. Oil cloth attached it self and can handle poop very well.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
You can place a transparent oil cloth on it. Oil cloth attached it self and can handle poop very well.
I looked on Amazon. So oilcloth is a type of vinyl? Or is what you are referring to something different.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You can paint anything they don't have access to without worry. I don't.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I looked on Amazon. So oilcloth is a type of vinyl? Or is what you are referring to something different.
This is what I meant. They are for tables and furniture's, but I use mine on the floor, on their cages roof and under all my stands. The poop is very easy to clean off even if it's dried.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Thanks that is similar to what I saw on Amazon but all I saw was prints and colors. I will look again.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Search for transparent oilcloth. :)

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
It may be called something else here so just do a search for transparent vynil covers or whatever and see what shows up. I'd also like say as long as it's dried well and not smelly anymore clear coat should be fine as I'd think even if they managed to chew a small amount it wouldn't be enough to hurt them. You could also search for non toxic animal safe paints and see what shows up. They claim the hammer paint used on most cages is safe but with some of the stuff Dobby tries to chew or eat he's still here.