• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ATTN: cockatiel breeders

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I need your opinion on this article, please.
my Sweet Pea laid egg yesterday and I am trying to put a stop to this before it gets out of hand.

Good morning Mom from Sweet Pea | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I have already talked to her vet and have shorten her light hours by 1 hour in the evening and removed any toys that she was rubbing her back on. I belong to other message boards and this article popped up and I would like your opinion on it please.

Little Feathered Buddies hormone control

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I am trying to put a stop to this before it gets out of hand.

You can not stop anything. This "cycle" is a natural biological function that needs to run is course. It is pretty rare that any hen only lays one egg. Two or more is the norm.

These hormonal behaviours will come every season no matter what you do. Yes you can try to minimize the effects they have but nature will run its course.

Birds lay eggs. There is absolutely no need to panic when it's only the very first egg. She's at the prime age for it to happen and only happy birds lay eggs.

Feed her well and keep her fit.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thats a great article but it is addressing a problem I don't think you have at this point.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm familiar with the site and the author through another forum I used to be active on. I think she's well respected and gives good advice and what the article says is consistent with other advise I've seen given for cockatiels with egg laying issues. As John said though, I don't think it's really a problem- and hopefully won't become one- yet for Sweet Pea. But if it does look like she's getting hormonal/going to start laying more, I would definitely try increasing the hours of darkness by 2 hours. My understanding is it takes 2-3 weeks of doing this though before the hormones start to reduce.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
John is right, it is normal for hens to lay eggs. THAT IS WHAT HENS ARE FOR!!! All living things are on Earth to reproduce, to provide new living creatures to provide more new living creatures. Period. That is the purpose of life, to continue to live. The female of any species is going to produce young given access to a male of the same species. With hen birds, they will produce eggs even if they cannot get a male to fertile them. Once a hen produces that first egg without a problem, she is fine for producing more eggs without any medical problems as long as she is fed a good diet and gets enough exercise. That is all one needs to worry about.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I don't intentionally breed my fids but they are allowed to "have fun" and a good 90% of the time the eggs aren't fertile - I usually swap them out anyway. I've found that rearranging things inside a cage throws them off from being comfortable enough to lay.

I wouldn't worry about this one egg unless SP's being springing surprise eggs on you (as in hidden). Maybe wait to see how she does with shorter days and longer nights before changing everything out on her and freaking her out.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I am worry wart, mostly because I lost hens (budgies) from egg laying. one was soft shelled egg that rupture in side of her , she didn't survive the infection. the other was found dead in the nest box with babies under her that papa and I took care of.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I am worry wart, mostly because I lost hens (budgies) from egg laying. one was soft shelled egg that rupture in side of her , she didn't survive the infection. the other was found dead in the nest box with babies under her that papa and I took care of.

Perfectly understandable. :hug8:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
We have no idea in a completely virgin hen (and that is what virgin used to mean: has not given birth, not has not had sex) whether or not a bird can pass an egg normally. And until she passes that first egg, you have a right to worry if the hen will produce an egg or die of a congenital malformation of her viaduct. That is the greatest fear for me faced with a virgin hen. It happens, but not regularly; still it happens often enough to cause concern: and all adopters of hen birds have to go through the wait. The fact my beloved DNA tested hen, Sunny has never laid an egg in the 16 years I have had her, even though she was tested three times as DNA female, leaves me still fearing Sunny may try and lay one day and die. My CAV can only sooth me by pointing out Sunny's reproductive tract has a congenital defect so high up in the egg formation machinery, that she is totally incapable of producing any eggs at all and therefore never shall lay an egg.

In other words, be grateful for having Sunny Senegal in your life and stop worrying. So I keep Sunshine as healthy as I can, knowing egg binding in previously laying birds happens due to poor health and condition. Soft egg due to low calcium, unable to pass eggs due to infection, etc. So I keep track of her calcium intake, monitor her weight, and thank the Goddess for every day I have her in my life.

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
That article is actually very good advice; they are right that tiels are opportunistic breeders and will breed when conditions are right and not during a set season, so they are more at risk of becoming chronic layers if they are kept in conditions that encourage hormones.
However, not all hens will become chronic layers and laying a clutch or two of eggs a year usually will cause no harm if the hen is healthy. I wouldn't worry too much, and just keep her comfortable and happy and well fed right now while she finishes laying. Changing things now may upset her and you want her to feel safe when she is laying. Once she is done laying and has had a week or two to sit on the eggs and recover, then you can start implementing the changes they recommend gradually.