• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Atticus is coming home today!

danadear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Another favorite foraging activity at my house for all my birds, small and large, is wrapping treats in coffee filters or muffin papers which I then stick into their foraging toys or in a foraging bowl. I wrap nuts, dried fruit, shredded wheat cereal squares, pumpkin seeds and usually a few goldfish crackers. They dive into their bowls first thing everyday to start unwrapping their treats. Easy and cheap.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

He SO wanted out of his cage this morning. I went downstairs and made myself breakfast so he could hear me in the kitchen (normally I skip it, but I suspect that my mornings of "sleeping in" until six thirty are over), and he was happily playing with his toys as long as he could see even part of me (we have a weird "window" in our wall from the living room to the kitchen), but as soon as I stepped out of sight, he began with the "whatcha doin?"s and the calling. Poor baby. I hope he adjusts. ;-;

I agree with not sneaking out. Also every time you get ready to leave his sight say something like "I'll be right back" he's eventually associate it with short absences.
When you go to work or away from home says something else, I use "I'll see you later, be good Babies"

And Congrats :)

vmashley03

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
One thing I do to ensure Charlie (she is a CAG) has plenty to do on days I am gone for a few hours (and even when I am home so I can get housework done) is make her forage for ALL of her food..the setup takes a few extra minutes in the morning but so worth it IMO. I also do daily refills on 3 skewers for her (1 for food...stuffed peppers are a favorite! And 2 for toys..I use skewer toys and have a few boxes full of them..each day I empty the skewer and refill with brand new toys..I save the still usable ones like Summer does). I swap the non skewer toys in her room every other day with new toys and/or rotate their location in the room each night so every morning she has "new" stuff to explore. I also think having a variety of textures, colors, materials and all that is key to keep those beaks busy!! Oh another thing I do is I have several bowls filled with foot toys, crinkle paper and a few food items so she has to really dig for her food and she LOVES throwing everything out of the bowls (she seems to get a bigger kick out of seeing how far she can fling toys more than finding the goodies lol).

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
I skewer everything at my house. Fruit and veggies, wood, plastic toys, etc... And I also incorporate foraging bowls and I love the toy box idea. What kind of boxes do you sue Summer? Another inexpensive way to go is buy untreated wood from Lowes or Home Depot. You can have them cut it into chunks for you and then you just need to drill a hole. You can put the pieces on skewers or chains. So much cheaper than buying a $50 toy that will be gone in two days. I know Beth does this. She even has her own power tools! :)
I do put money into different types of heavy duty foraging toys which I then rotate. The ring of fortune is a good one, the foraging wheels are good, and the buffet ball. Lots of good toys that should hold up (they do at my house) so they are worth the expense. For the stuff that gets destroyed I try to make that myself for the most part. And once he destroys a toy don't just discard the pieces. The pieces can be thrown into your foraging box as Summer suggested.

Like Summer I buy lots of pieces parts for foraging at the dollar tree. Flash cards, baby key toys, baby spoons, etc... There's also some good websites with good ideas for DIY foraging.

I call it a 'toy box' but what it is, is a plastic pull out drawer of the bird stuff storage that has nothing but toy 'guts" in it that I skewer. ;) I do however use old food conatiners (such as oatmeal round) and fill it with shred paper, misc toy parts from the drawer, a few snacks (pumpkin seed, dried fruit, nutraberries) seal it up, put a "starter" hole in it and zip tie it to cages. Boris especially LOVES them, he loves to pull things out. So he has to first work to get the hole big enough to start doing so, then work to get the various toys/shred stuff out occasionally finding treats as he goes. :)

I also use the plastic foragers, i have the heart, the wheel, push pull, the drawer/slider and the box as I call it. (It has various small boxes with lids that move different ways in order to access treats inside them, and the spinner one. All are used regularly in our house!

sierraecho89

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
I think I'm going to just bookmark this thread for future reference forevermore. You guys are awesome.

Ugh. I'm worried about him. I really wish we hadn't agreed to take him home on a weekday. I bet he's sooooo bored. =(

vmashley03

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
I think I'm going to just bookmark this thread for future reference forevermore. You guys are awesome.

Ugh. I'm worried about him. I really wish we hadn't agreed to take him home on a weekday. I bet he's sooooo bored. =(
Have you thought about installing a wireless camera that you can check from your phone throughout the day?

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe

:hehe:..na, he's fine...it's you I'm worried about..:lol:...the first week I had Elvis I couldnt concentrate at work, all I could think about was getting home to spend time with him and over worried about the same thing you are....It could be a positive thing that he adjusts to being alone for a few hours from the start...I bet ya cant wait to get home...:joyful:..

vmashley03

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria
They make those??

I'd love to, but we're running on empty in the funds department for the time being. x.x Maybe next month if I'm still worried.
Oh yes! They make quite a few different ones..they can be pricey but I worry constantly so it's nice to be able to see what she is up to to keep my sanity!

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
:hehe:..na, he's fine...it's you I'm worried about..:lol:...the first week I had Elvis I couldnt concentrate at work, all I could think about was getting home to spend time with him and over worried about the same thing you are....It could be a positive thing that he adjusts to being alone for a few hours from the start...I bet ya cant wait to get home...:joyful:..

this is it lupe... lemme say it again cause its so profound: It could be a positive thing that he adjusts to being alone for a few hours from the start

yes! this is so very true. i worked the day after i got caleb, then was off the following day. it gave him a day of calm downtime, so to speak, to just kinda absorb the new surroundings and sounds. then a month or two after i got caleb i went on vacation, i was home for 9 days. when i went from being gone randomly (my retail schedule) to being home for several days in a row to being gone randomly again it confused the crap outta him. so its good that you are setting him up for 'normal.' they can get sensory overload just like us if too much changes and they dont get some time to process it.... if that makes any sense.

now, that said, i was nearly a nervous wreak worrying bout him. :rolleyes: so i TOTALLY feel ya!

about the toys, oh yeah. best investment i made for caleb was my miter saw and drill press... oh and the shop vac. ;)

eta: oh and i, too, would LOVE to have that security system. i've found one that's more affordable online that simply uses a web cam and your comp its more of a nanny cam than a security system, but i think it would achieve my goal.

Last edited:

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
I loaded two skewers last night in addition to making 6 foraging toys. Look for stainless steel Fun Rings as well (busybeaks.com). Pics below of a Fun Ring and a Skewer.

I pretty much do the same thing as Summer. I have 2 big spaghetti strainers, one gets filled with things that need to be washed, and another is for things that have been washed and are drying. Once they're dry, the go back into the bin. Rocky has been playing in the wood block drawer, which means that there are more splinters in there than wood. I'm going to have to dump the whole thing and pick out salvageable parts. Rocky doesn't always chew toys hanging in his cage, but toss a bunch of stuff on the tray or let him play on the floor, and he'll go to town.

When I use chain or rope, I add a few big acrylic beads with the wood so that it doesn't become just an empty thing to hang themselves with. At some point, I went insane and ordered 100 of the huge acrylic beads, and they are pretty much indestructible. They get a little worn looking, but even Kirby hasn't managed to actually break one. Two of them pictured below with the shape sorter.

The Toos really like these foam alphabet blocks that I picked up somewhere -Walmart or the odd lots store, I think. Kirby, Zuni and Sophia really like to chew up cardboard, so I put sheets of cardboard between the wood blocks. Pooka mostly just wants wood. Jim drilled a bunch with three holes, so the skewer goes through one and then I stuffed the others with pine nuts or pistachios. Zuni likes leather, so I get scraps of leather for him and add it to his toys. He also loves Birdie Bagels. Everyone likes board books - I think I have a board book or two in every single cage right now. Sometimes I make more elaborate toys (Picture), but I just drilled holes near the spines and hung them this time. Sometimes I dye wood, but lately I don't bother because I can't keep up with them. I go through hundreds of pine cones every year. I boil them and bake them to get the germs out. Tuck pine nuts or other treats in there. A paper bag full of pine cones is an easy/fun foraging toy. One of my staple refillable toys is a shape sorter from Wal-mart (picture). I get a new one once or twice a year, and it is in use almost every day. If I'm worried about the safety of something, I offer it when I'm around at first and can keep an eye on them. I'm still a little concerned that Pooka is going to twist his own head off with the Garanimals toy, but he definitely has a good time. Save every cracker or pasta box for foraging toys.

fun ring board bk.jpg Garanimals Pull-Apart Shape Sorter parrot toy.jpg Kirby w spaghetti boxes.jpg

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
For Milton, phone books are THE BEST! Wood is also fun, but shredding is what Milty lives for.

Mytoos, IMO, has the "Perfect World" syndrome. In this perfect world, humans are prohibited from owning Cockatoos- and if you own one, you are a bad person for doing so- no one on earth can ever take good care of a cockatoo.

As I have said many times before, we do not live in a perfect world. We do the best we can with the gifts we've been given...

casey&casper

So glad Atticus is home, SierraEcho!

I've found that Casper has definite likes and dislikes when it comes to toys. His favorites are foot toys. Then hanging toys, preferably with lots of wood to chew, and foraging toys are completely ignored. Watch what he destroys or plays with the most, what he completely ignores and go from there.

He's going to need months to really settle into the household and routine. This is the time for you and Atticus to learn about each other. Think of it as the dating phase even though you've already committed to him. Take your time and take your cues from Atticus.

Happy 'Too Day!

sierraecho89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
And naturally, the second night he's home, there's a freaking thunderstorm. This is Colorado--where's the snow?!

He's been in a weird mood today, screaming a lot and practically bouncing off the walls. Do storms have that effect on your birds?

Part of me is concerned he might be turning screaming into a game. I make a point to leave the room every time he does it, which seems to quiet him down fast. His last owner would talk to him when he screamed in a soft voice to quiet him down, so that might be part of it. He's probably used to getting some kind of attention when he does it.

We had fun earlier. He LOVES corn on the cob, apparently. It was quite amusing to watch him eat it. Also, he's terrified of our budgies. One decided to go flying from her cage today and he started screaming and posturing like crazy. We know better than to let them out after him now, lol.

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
And naturally, the second night he's home, there's a freaking thunderstorm. This is Colorado--where's the snow?!

He's been in a weird mood today, screaming a lot and practically bouncing off the walls. Do storms have that effect on your birds?

Part of me is concerned he might be turning screaming into a game. I make a point to leave the room every time he does it, which seems to quiet him down fast. His last owner would talk to him when he screamed in a soft voice to quiet him down, so that might be part of it. He's probably used to getting some kind of attention when he does it.

We had fun earlier. He LOVES corn on the cob, apparently. It was quite amusing to watch him eat it. Also, he's terrified of our budgies. One decided to go flying from her cage today and he started screaming and posturing like crazy. We know better than to let them out after him now, lol.
Corn on the cob is Noodle's only veggie that he likes. I get the little half cobs and put them on a skewer for a snack. Atti is adorable. He will settle down.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

Most 'toos love corn! My Cassie used to eat the kernels going around and around. Millty just eats, then destroys the cob. As for storms, the only time Milty reacts to them is at night. When thunder rolls through, he hisses like crazy. Daytime thunder,no reaction. It's probably because he's covered up at night, so he can't see that the thunder isn't going to hurt him.
You're right not to react to Atticus' screaming- he'll learn that screaming isn't a game or something to get attention.

sierraecho89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
Ack, I hope so. He is screaming more than I've ever heard him even speak or whistle tonight. I either completely ignore him when he does it or leave the room. He's getting bored with the toy that I'm giving him, lots of shredders, so I guess we'll see. It's making me nervous for our neighbor, but she works a lot in the evenings, so it'll probably be okay. Aiee. =)

He's shredding stuff, but doesn't seem interested in a lot of the wood and such. We'll see. I'm going to show him our upstairs and then put him to bed at eight. Hopefully he'll like it.

RJ Noodle

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
Ack, I hope so. He is screaming more than I've ever heard him even speak or whistle tonight. I either completely ignore him when he does it or leave the room. He's getting bored with the toy that I'm giving him, lots of shredders, so I guess we'll see. It's making me nervous for our neighbor, but she works a lot in the evenings, so it'll probably be okay. Aiee. =)

He's shredding stuff, but doesn't seem interested in a lot of the wood and such. We'll see. I'm going to show him our upstairs and then put him to bed at eight. Hopefully he'll like it.
Have you tried balsa? Noodle would not do wood at first either so I tried balsa and he ripped right thru it.