• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Attention all Linnie owners..."HELP"

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Hi, I know everyone is busy because of the Season, but if you own Linnie's would you take a minute and help me with a decision I have to make. I joined this group to learn more about Linnies. I found a good breeder in my area (sort of) and I've bought a baby Linnie. He's still at the breeders and still being handfed. The brood is a group of three. And now that they are older and in a cage she has an older (July born) one in with them, so it's a group of four now. Okay, here's my question...I've always noticed parakeets and small birds seem so much happier when there are two. Do you think my single Linnie will be happy alone? I only work 3 hours a day and am home most of the time so he'll get lots of love and attention from me. But I want him to be truly happy and am wondering what is best for him. I think a sibling is the best way to go if I decide to go with two birds...please advise. Thanks and "Merry Christmas"

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
Bump. I don't have Linnie's but if you can provide lots of attention, you may not need two birds. Birds in pairs will generally not bond to you as much as a single bird will. But as I said I don't have experience with linnies.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
I have 2 linnies and I find it to be the best of both worlds. I never worry when we are out, but at the same time they are very sociable with us as well. Jasper begs to come to my husband ALL THE TIME. And Buttercup enjoys cuddling with my daughter. I think linnies are more flock oriented and the more the merrier to them, human or otherwise - if you do it under the right conditions.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you do get 2 you don't a boy and a girl because you would want a brother and sister breeding. So get them DNA'ed before bringing them home to make sure you've got 2 same sex :)

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Yes, the breeder is very good about absolutely NOT selling brothers and sisters. I can buy two males or two females but not one of each...she is a good seller! Three cheers for Jenifer! haha

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Oh, I just re read what you said....she did promise me to get them DNA sexed,,,but then said she's not sure about the Vet seeing them if he'll come to town with it being Christmas....not sure how they'd be sexed then? What should I ask her?

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
With Linnies, I definitely think they do better in pairs. They are incredibly flock oriented. It's not really all that true that hand fed parrots will bond with each other if they live together either so I wouldn't even worry about that. As for whether or not you get two of the same sex, as long as you are ok with removing eggs when they lay them, you shouldn't have any problems.

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Hi Jen, What the breeder says is that if she would sell a brother and sister to one person it would be bad cuz if they ever sold those birds, the next owners might not throw the eggs out. So she refuses to sell opposite sex siblings, which is a responsible seller...I would just throw the eggs out though..

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Hi Jen, What the breeder says is that if she would sell a brother and sister to one person it would be bad cuz if they ever sold those birds, the next owners might not throw the eggs out. So she refuses to sell opposite sex siblings, which is a responsible seller...I would just throw the eggs out though..
That makes sense! I promised I would dig through my pictures and see if I could find a few cute pictures of my first five showing you how they just love to be together so here are a few I have on the current computer I'm on! They are just too cute for words! I had pictures of them all asleep in a pile on the top of my desk but I can't seem to find those pictures anywhere...

Eli and Ollie
DSC03954.jpg

Ollie and Eli
DSC03961.jpg

Sophie is the yellow one sitting in front and I believe Eli is in the back with his head turned toward the camera. The other two are Noah and Max from left to right.
DSC04060.jpg

From left to right, Max, Sophie, Eli, No-Head Ollie, and Noah
DSC04112.JPG

Left to right, Max, Noah, Sophie, Ollie, and what little you can see of Eli
DSC04132.JPG

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Awww......they are so sweet. Don't you just love their beautiful eyes. So big, and so intelligent and sweet. I wish my babies were ready, but as the breeder said, they are weaned when they are weaned...you can't rush that. And I do want them eating really good when they come home. Thank you for posting your "baby pictures" Jen! :) They are cute birdies with cute names!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Awww......they are so sweet. Don't you just love their beautiful eyes. So big, and so intelligent and sweet. I wish my babies were ready, but as the breeder said, they are weaned when they are weaned...you can't rush that. And I do want them eating really good when they come home. Thank you for posting your "baby pictures" Jen! :) They are cute birdies with cute names!
Yes, the eyes really do get to you don't they? And the spots on the butt! I love the spots on the butt! Wait until you see how they cuddle and play...OMG! They make you melt! I can't wait until you bring yours home!

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Jen...The breeder loves the markings on my male colbalt, I just love blue, but she was saying "Look at his beautiful tail and his markings..."I'm not too sure what to look for hahaha I can't remember my birds cuz I only saw them once and she had to go somewhere so I didn't stay too long. I just talked to her a minute ago and she said she'd work on emailing me some photos of my boys...Oh, I hope she does, I go on Google and look at linnies everyday cuz I miss mine so much, and I dream about playing with them and seeing them in their cage, I dream about them almost every night.....I don't have to work next week cuz I'm off for Christmas break til Jan. 3rd. Say a prayer I get to bring them home the Monday after Christmas...that's my wish...:)

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
I'm just going to keep looking at your babies....they are all adorable..When are you guys going to go get the other male? Try to send me picture when you get him, okay? I'll have my neighbor help me send pictures to you. The breeder also said that if she hadn't promiced me a cobalt, she would keep my bird because of his markings, so he must be a pretty boy..I can't remember. His name will be "Zoolie" because of his personality (that personality is what I remember!) haha!

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
I have 2 linnies and I find it to be the best of both worlds. I never worry when we are out, but at the same time they are very sociable with us as well. Jasper begs to come to my husband ALL THE TIME. And Buttercup enjoys cuddling with my daughter. I think linnies are more flock oriented and the more the merrier to them, human or otherwise - if you do it under the right conditions.
Hi Holly, I love your name! Especially at Christmas...I did call the breeder back and buy the other male turquoise linnie, he is the brother of the other one , a cobalt. I still don't have my boys as they are still handfeeding..the turquoise is doing great, but my one with the funny personality (the blue one) he is just loving being handfed...so we're not sure when they can come home. I'm off work now for Christmas break til Jan. 3rd I would love to be able to go get them Christmas Monday!!! Say a prayer for me, hahaha Have a Merry Christmas and "thanks" for the advise! :) Talk later.....

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Hi Holly, I love your name! Especially at Christmas...I did call the breeder back and buy the other male turquoise linnie, he is the brother of the other one , a cobalt. I still don't have my boys as they are still handfeeding..the turquoise is doing great, but my one with the funny personality (the blue one) he is just loving being handfed...so we're not sure when they can come home. I'm off work now for Christmas break til Jan. 3rd I would love to be able to go get them Christmas Monday!!! Say a prayer for me, hahaha Have a Merry Christmas and "thanks" for the advise! :) Talk later.....
Holly, Great news today!! The breeder called last night and said my boys could come home today!!! hahahaha, what a great day. I picked them up at 10 this a.m. and we were home by 11. They are so cute! They seem to love their cage, toys and even "me" I had so much fun with them today, can't wait to see them again in the a.m. shhhh....they're asleep now :) Thanks for the advise, I'm so happy I bought both brothers, the turquoise and the cobalt. They seem so happy too! Talk later...