• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ATTACKING QUAKER

Papiiiiii

Meeting neighbors
I have actually stopped helping my macaw preen his head feathers as I have learned that it is most definitely a trigger for him to decide to hunt me down for blood donations, I have found too much physical contact (even though I never touch the off limits areas!) now unfortunately seems to give him the wrong idea about our relationship as he matures.

My latest incident of comforting him (allowing him to tuck his head under my arm and snuggling/pushing his body into me) and checking him over after he had a fright and a big crash causing a broken beak tip caused what I believe was some confusion or maybe frustration for him so I am currently sporting a fractured bone in my hand for trying to stop him running back up my arm.

Nearly every time this happens (mood/behaviour change) I just play it safe and do not try to interact with him unless he is behaving and working with my requests and if he is displaying or trying to bite me while I try to open the cage then he simply does not come out- he can be as hormonal as he likes but he is learning he is not allowed to take it out on me or be on me when he is rude and bad mannered and he will not be let out of the cage when he is trying to attack me for opening it.

Takes time but I am getting there and his anger at me while acting out is toning down some thankfully.

I also chose not to clip (I honestly believe I would rehome him before I ever considered clipping him) as I do believe it will only make him angrier and harder to deal with plus I personally struggle to look at clipped birds without feeling some awful things so I do not think I would cope with the guilt of removing his right to fly.
Yea you’re right I don’t know if I would be able to clip her but I’m def willing to start over with her
We’ve come a long way
I’m starting to interact with her a tiny bit
I think she tried it again today but I quickly tried to distract her with something else as I put her in the cage
I just need some goggles to prevent her taking my eye out

Papiiiiii

Meeting neighbors
I honestly feel for you it’s horrible being bitten constantly attacked for no reason I get the protectiveness of cages that there area etc but when they are out and they fly at you just to bite you that’s a different story @Mizzely honestly that’s horrible you had to hide under a table don’t say sorry for your view I don’t like clipping wings but also think if it’s for safety of you and bird or other birds you own then I think that’s something someone as to weigh up I honestly don’t think in that situation there’s a right or wrong answer just the same as rehoming a bird who is aggressive is down to how much someone is willing to take how much you have tried etc it’s us that as to put up with this behaviour daily not strangers on here as much as we as a group appreciate each others advice at the end of day we all have to do that’s right for us our family and our home
Totally agree ! She’s always had a tick and has bitten me plenty of times it’s her flying just to bite , def didn’t understand and was quite heartbroken ! All suggestions are taken with gratitude !

Papiiiiii

Meeting neighbors
Quakers are an incredible social parrot , I have read that they will babysit unrelated offspring tho usually done by older siblings, they live communal like in condos in one big nest , and there are reports that if a pair nearby looses a partner they assist the solo parent raise the young. They are a fascinating species . But really no parrot likes to be alone .

While your two my always remain more distant friends , over time they can still develop a deeper friendship. Pikachu worked hard for 2 years to be friend my older quaker female who really didn't know how to be a bird , and become very close. Pikachu and Phoebe took near to 3 years to become bonded , deeply bonded and now live together .

I understand being fearful, I hope it is something you can overcome. Starting at first with more structured interactions will hopefully help. I like doing multiple short interactions at first . Trying to set up the interaction for success and avoiding known triggers , and limiting distractions , as well as other pets and people. You can work back to more inclusive later

And if looking at her is a trigger, working in desensitizing this. How I might do this , is get her out , chat a bit , then place her on a perch , walk a short distance away , look at her tell her she is a good bird , walk back over and give treats . Repeat this many times randomly through out the day , only once or twice at time and placing her in different spots for the next time , on thr couch on a chair and so thst looking at becoming linked with good bird and treats. And leaving her longer in spots before looking at her and doing this. Shaping behavior, going in baby steps , repetition and building off that is very effective with animals , parrots , critters .

My old sweetest rescue Penny, would get quite angry if she had to be caged longer due to me being away or life circumstances that has for ed me to leave her caged instead of her normal routine of being out. What she would do when I finally was able to let her out ,is launch screaming at my head or face to bite me. Because she wasn' t the best flier I could mostly avoid, and when I learned this is how she would likely act at first letting out I adapted. I talked longer with her before letting her out, and when I opened the door I walked away and turned my back . So the initial bombardment would be to the back of my head . After letting me know how displeased she was , moments later she was my cuddle sweetheart again. Tho occasionally she would also like to land on my shoulder and beak punch or beak slap my face. Then like at me and in my mind , let me know that was fir my own good now we can be friends again. Penny was the gentlest sweetest sweetheart parrot the rest of the time. In our situation this only happened after she had been left caged all day or for several days in a row. I never was able to eliminate the initial winged bombardment, but did lessen it to a screeching flyby ( 90% of the time ) by really talking to her and apologizing about being locked up for so long before letting her out, and by ore setting up yummy favorite foods in top of cage before letting her out, and being sure she was the one I let out first and gave attention to first . I just an a person who doesn't take all this drama to heart . I don't think I have ever shared this quirk of hers here before even .

My green cheek conure Ta-dah, will often come out of her cage in high energy high mental state , and interacting with her after just letting her out will definitely lead to bites and attacks. So for her also , I talk with her fir a few moments before letting her out. She marches around jabbering in her cage , I listen and agree. When that's calmed down a little, I open the doors and let her out. The climbs to the top of cage and displays and matches around mumble and I spend time talking to her till she calms down . Then because it's normally first thing in the morning I set out he vegg. On my later fo I go and get her to step up and have our morning hellos .

Think about, and find routine and ritual to help you two navigate situations that might lead to high arousal and bites. Doing your best to seet yourselves up for success
My good ness
Funny you mention it , I literally have to take out papi more because of how sensitive he is
He doesn’t bite but good luck him acknowledging you if you don’t let him out forts she’s starting to pick up his habits i guess

papi doesn’t seem to care much for her but Luna lovesssss him
She’ll come to his defense full speed

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Totally agree ! She’s always had a tick and has bitten me plenty of times it’s her flying just to bite , def didn’t understand and was quite heartbroken ! All suggestions are taken with gratitude !
It is heartbreaking i totally understand where your coming from I hope the advise you have gotten helps

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Yes eyes are scary if they are going near your face ! Hopefully your eyeglasses are protection.
How are things going? I think you mentioned you are already seeing some improvement? That's so great !
I hope you share , what things you are doing that you feel are helping. And keep us updated. Many of us go through this , and many guests probably drop in to peak who have similar issues.

Plus just love to see you set up and birds and hear stories of your lives together