• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Attack of the Caique and I am in love!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Well today I took a Caique out to play with her at the bird store. She was very sweet but when I went to put her back in her cage she attacked me (see the attachment)

After the bite I was told I was the first one to take her out of her cage in almost a week and she had been bought and returned the same week!! So understandably she did not want to go back in her cage.

She was a 3 yr old breeder they decided to sell as a pet because her mate was attacking her.

Even after getting bit I decided to stay and play with her for a few hours. She was the sweetest, funniest most playful bird! we would wrestle with her upside down in my hand and she would fluff up for scritches, she even fell asleep in my hand.
I almost took her home but I live in an apartment and noise level is a concern as well as space. Fortunately a regular at the store bought her today so she has a good home.

I fell in love with Caiques today and will own one someday:heart:

Attachments

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
aww i DO hope someone comes along and give her a good home..looks like quite the bites

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ouchies,she got you good. Thats great that someone you trust bought her.

xaffinityx

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Courtney
Oh man. You got lucky! Oyster can take a good chunk of skin, and will if he gets overstimulated!

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Oh man. You got lucky! Oyster can take a good chunk of skin, and will if he gets overstimulated!
Well not sure if I would call it lucky, I do have a hole in my finger:eek:

But the bite did not take away from the fact she was a great bird! I sooo wanted to bring her home but knew I could not.:(

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
The one that was at the rescue a few years ago would bite when you went to put her back too.

prettyinpink

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
Awe poor thing. :( So sad to hear she hates the cage so much.

Hope you're ok!!! :hug8: I know bird bites hurt pretty bad, they seem to hurt worse if they don't cut the skin. :(

crystaljam

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
Yup, Caique bites hurt!

I always make sure Rosco is in a calm mood when he gets put back - but sometimes you just can't tell - he's a bit wonky during the fall season and doesn't necessarily give the signs he normally does that he wants you to back off.

And out of the three, he is the loudest, as he makes both Stryder (cockatiel) and Merlin (Grey) sounds, but 10 times louder if he's in the mood. Thank goodness it's not too often!

He is quite the character though, and I love him dearly.

I'm glad the store Caique was able to find a home! I hope the staff warned them about going back into the cage - they may have to find some unique techniques to get her back in without biting.

MBS

Jogging around the block
I would love to have a Caique or even two someday. They are just so gorgeous, and I love the funny things that they do as they play and wrestle. Their hopping behavior is very fun to watch.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Ouchies. Guess it was a love bite :)

Status
Not open for further replies.