• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ataxia

JenA

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jen Authier
My sweet pineapple conure died last night of ataxia that she had been suffering from for just 2 weeks. We brought her to the vet who gave her medication in case she had brain swelling, but nothing helped. She lost her ability to walk, see, eat, perch, and flying was clumsy. I am just so devastated that this happened so fast. Does anyone have any experience with this with their bird? It just happened so fast, she was healthy 3 weeks ago. What could have possiby caused this?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
oh gosh, I’m so sorry to hear. I’ve seen it happen in mammals before, and it acted very quickly like that. I couldn’t say necessarily what causes it, it could be genetic in a lot of cases. But I’m so sorry to hear about your loss :sadhug2:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
So sorry for your loss

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
So sorry for your loss

JenA

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jen Authier
oh gosh, I’m so sorry to hear. I’ve seen it happen in mammals before, and it acted very quickly like that. I couldn’t say necessarily what causes it, it could be genetic in a lot of cases. But I’m so sorry to hear about your loss :sadhug2:
Thank you

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I'm so sorry for your loss.

It's just hard to say the cause of this. I'm glad you consulted with a veterinarian.

When my budgie had a fright in his cage and hit his head, he experienced many of those symptoms and lost his vision, declined over a couple of months of my trying to give him time to heal and develop seizures.
But a trauma isn't the only explanation for your symptoms . I'm just sharing because you asked .

I'm sorry you didn't get more time together

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
So sorry for your loss :(

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry for your loss :sorrow:

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I am so sorry. I lost my girl this morning.

JenA

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jen Authier
I'm so sorry for your loss.

It's just hard to say the cause of this. I'm glad you consulted with a veterinarian.

When my budgie had a fright in his cage and hit his head, he experienced many of those symptoms and lost his vision, declined over a couple of months of my trying to give him time to heal and develop seizures.
But a trauma isn't the only explanation for your symptoms . I'm just sharing because you asked .

I'm sorry you didn't get more time together
Thank you so much. We don't know if she injured herself but the veterinarian did X-rays which showed no sign of trauma, but that doesn't mean she couldn't have hit her head. I don't know. I do know that on her last night (Xmas Eve) she was very lethargic and just sat on my husband's chest until bedtime. She suddenly got up once however and flew low to the ground in circles, crashing into things. That was the second time she did that. I am thinking she was having seizures. I have a feeling that she lost her sight as well. Then she died through the night in her cage. The veterinarian had given us medication to give to her for 5 days which was supposed to help with any swelling of her brain if she did in fact have a head injury. We did the five days and then she died. I just don't understand how a healthy bird just two weeks prior can develop such horrible symptoms. The vet said it is neurological.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Thank you so much. We don't know if she injured herself but the veterinarian did X-rays which showed no sign of trauma, but that doesn't mean she couldn't have hit her head. I don't know. I do know that on her last night (Xmas Eve) she was very lethargic and just sat on my husband's chest until bedtime. She suddenly got up once however and flew low to the ground in circles, crashing into things. That was the second time she did that. I am thinking she was having seizures. I have a feeling that she lost her sight as well. Then she died through the night in her cage. The veterinarian had given us medication to give to her for 5 days which was supposed to help with any swelling of her brain if she did in fact have a head injury. We did the five days and then she died. I just don't understand how a healthy bird just two weeks prior can develop such horrible symptoms. The vet said it is neurological.
I think that's your answer. That it was most likely neurological. I know it's horrible to accept, but they can go so quickly. She was loved and taken care of by you. And I hope that fact gives you some comfort.

I was so devastated when lost my moluccan Zane so I can empathize with you. Early days were hard but they did slowly get better. That's my hope for you. But there's no right or wrong way to grieve. My heart goes out to you :bluhug:

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I’m so sorry.
I think this could have been cause by many things. Head trauma, virus, congenital problem, etc.
I’m sorry you and she had to go through this terrible experience.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Yes,since she was given medication to reduce brain swelling, much less likely to be trauma.
But knowing what it was, you may never. Did veterinarian give top reasons that cause neurological?
I know lead poison, tho it's really unlikely and you don't have other heavy metal poisoning symptoms. You can have primary neurological with some infections bacterial/viral but it's rare and you aren't having sick bird symptoms other than the brain.
It is so hard when they are fine and then suddenly not. And of course you want to know for piece of mind . And in case you bring home another sweet feathered friend.

JenA

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jen Authier
Yes,since she was given medication to reduce brain swelling, much less likely to be trauma.
But knowing what it was, you may never. Did veterinarian give top reasons that cause neurological?
I know lead poison, tho it's really unlikely and you don't have other heavy metal poisoning symptoms. You can have primary neurological with some infections bacterial/viral but it's rare and you aren't having sick bird symptoms other than the brain.
It is so hard when they are fine and then suddenly not. And of course you want to know for piece of mind . And in case you bring home another sweet feathered friend.
Thank you for your comments. Yes I just don't know what happened. Fine one day, then not. Paralyzed. Seizures. Cause unknown. We checked her spine for signs of trauma (from the other birds) and nothing. We cremated her tonight. It's been a rough day :(

JenA

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jen Authier
I think that's your answer. That it was most likely neurological. I know it's horrible to accept, but they can go so quickly. She was loved and taken care of by you. And I hope that fact gives you some comfort.

I was so devastated when lost my moluccan Zane so I can empathize with you. Early days were hard but they did slowly get better. That's my hope for you. But there's no right or wrong way to grieve. My heart goes out to you :bluhug:
Thank you so much. Yes it is hard to accept. We have 3 other healthy conures and I am trying to focus on them but it is hard right now. Seeing her struggle for two weeks bothers me but we did the best we could for her. But I appreciate your kind words.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I am so very sorry. I have lived with several medically complex parrots and it is so hard when the struggle ends. I still miss my most unique birds.

JenA

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jen Authier
I am so very sorry. I have lived with several medically complex parrots and it is so hard when the struggle ends. I still miss my most unique birds.
Thank you. Yes it is very difficult when the struggle ends. I blame myself for everything as well, so that is not helping matters. But I appreciate your support.