• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

At the vet: When properly restrained, should birds be able to wriggle/turn/twist around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bree

Walking the driveway
My birds went to their first appointment with a new vet today. One thing really bothered me, and I don't know if I am right to be bothered by it or if I'm being picky.

The tech didn't seem to restrain them as efficiently as my previous vet and her tech were able to... The birds were able to wriggle around and twist their bodies/heads/necks. I was worried multiple times during the nail trims that their airways were possibly being restricted because of how they had rotated, but it was hard to tell because of the bulky towel she was using. The three birds she restrained breathed/gasped heavily when returned to the cage. This may have been stress for two of them, but Penny has been to the vet innumerable times due to her crop injury issues and has never breathed/gasped like that after any restraint of any length of time at her previous vet. The remaining bird who was released after being restrained by the vet (I was comfortable with his restraints; similar to my previous vet/tech, the birds could not wriggle around and seemed secure and as comfortable as could be expected), did not breathe/gasp heavily afterwards.

So should the birds be able to wriggle/turn around if restrained properly? I was under the impression that they should not be able to, but please correct me if I am wrong. It really stressed me out watching the tech restrain them and it is one reason I may be looking for another vet, but I want to know if I am right in being concerned.

Thanks!

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
i have been gromming birds a LONG time and they can not wiggle and turn if restraining them properly and def should not be gasping for air(some get more stressed then others).... :( i to would be upset:hug8:

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
I would be looking for another avian vet. I don't like the gasping for air :eek:

carkam

Avenue Veteran
I know that my guys are not able to twist and turn when restrained at the vet! I would be upset about that also!:mad:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Ditto, my vet is very gentle with the restraining and they never gasp for air. I hope theyre all ok now.:hug8:

Bree

Walking the driveway
Okay! Glad to know that I am not being overly protective. I am so, so glad that I insisted on being present, even though it was against their "protocol" (they wanted to take them in the back, another red flag for me).

There were other things I disliked, too, but are slightly more nit-picky in nature. The sloppy restraints were what had me really concerned. All that careful research I did trying to find a good avian vet, for this, yikes!

They are okay, but did seem to take more time to recover than usual. Penny is a vet-going-pro, and she gave this vet a thumbs down... Took her much longer than normal to recover. I feel bad that I allowed this to happen. :( But I am glad that I took them for nail trims first in order to check this vet out before I actually needed a vet. Now I know to keep looking.

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
It depends on the situation- Jasper's old vet would hold him very loosely, such that he was able to turn his head and neck, but that was because he just wanted/would bite around the towel and not actually struggle at all while his nails were done so he didn't NEED to be held very securely. If the bird is being held properly, it should be by the head and no turning or twisting or trouble breathing should happen. :(

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
I'd definitely not go back if you aren't comfortable. Even if it WAS normalish for that to happen, if YOU feel uncomfortable then you should find someone else. Your vet should always be someone you like and are comfy with. :)

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Tanya, I wish you were here so you could do my birds! I only trust one vet tech at my vet, even my vet does not hold them as tightly as I would like. I had a horrible experience with a girl who came to do their nails...she freaked me out so much I had to ask her to leave. It was not good at all. Even though she had great reviews and great experience, I did not like her. It is about preference and just intuition. Why not look for another vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.