• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

At the Clinic today. (booklet questions answered)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Dr. Barb drove over to pick me up for a cleaning party at the clinic. ("G" is still in Romania until next weekend) oh my goodness, was it noisy in there. "G"s cockatoos and her daughter's 2 macaws are there plus there is 4 orphans; 1 TAG, 2 doves and 1 cockatiel. after getting into scrubs and grabbing a pop, I was in the bird rooms. Nick was back there already working. I think that Missy was really happy to see me. She was doing her best imitation of pogo stick with her on top. up and down, up and down until I open her cage door and she was on my chest. I held her while I cleaned her cage and put in fresh toys and food & water. Ralph (the U2) was in mood, growling, hissing and beak snapping. He really misses "G"s hubby and is not comforted by anybody else. Nick has been bitten twice but only minor bites. Gypsy is off the eggs and she was being semi friendly. she was allowing scritches and gentle head rubs. Buzzer was just happy to be out of the cage for awhile. The 'Sweet tarts' are in front office and were happy to be out for a while too. "G" & family will be back Saturday and the birds can not wait.
Nick was in quarantine room with the orphans. The TAG is thin and plucked chest area, the 2 doves ok and eating, the little cockatiel is male and skinny. I stayed out of the room because of the fact that I am sneezing.
Dr. Tony was there and we worked on the booklet for about 2 hours.
I would like to use some of your pictures in a booklet that the clinic I go too is making up for new owners of birds. Dr. Tony is really trying to stress to new owners that parrots are not for the weak hearted. @JLcribber , @saroj12 , @WendyN and anybody else that will allow their pictures to be used.
He was like holy buckets when I brought him some of your pictures from this site. John he wants to know from you both your Toos are U2's right?? He is also going to try and make this PDF that can be shared via internet with other clinics. but if it does not work out that way, it will be a small booklet. he has no idea of price right now. this will be the opening page I know that for a fact.
Are you listening.jpg
we are using each quote from above as chapters in the booklet. The clinic is being used too much as rescue and not as much as clinic and they would like to see this stopped. last year there was more then 50 birds that were abandoned at the clinic, some left outside over night in bad weather. and surprisingly about a 1/3 of them were birds that had been seen at the clinic at one time or another. Even with video cameras on all 4 sides of the clinic , it is still happening. So once this booklet is put together all parrot owners will be getting a copy of it. the last page will list all possible rescues in the area. they are hoping that this will give clients other options to abandon their birds at the clinic.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
So sorry birds are being abandoned at the clinic - maybe owners believe this is the "best" place to leave them. having birds as pets - not as easy - as many think - even with the "littles" - budgies, tiels, lovebirds...they still need attention, medical care, toys, etc...

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
it's costing the clinic a fair amount to feed and care for these orphans. they have to be kept in quarantine until they have found a home, they are vetted with blood work.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Gonna add those ear bite pics from Lurch to that bite thread, they don't look too gruesome but I had cleaned them up a bit and calmed down enough to try and take them. I MAY have others stored around, not sure as have two computers with stuff like that here.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I added them to the bite file for Dr. Tony. Thanks Terry

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Personally I don't think scaring the responsible bird owners who go to the vet with bite photos is the best way to prevent them being dumped at your clinic or rescues. Information on dealing with aggression and preventing biting, ect. is always helpful, but it seems to me that showing someone who already has a bird those photos and to expect to get bitten like that is only going to scare them and possibly make them more likely to rehome their bird when there is no problem. I can see the point in telling people considering getting a bird that there is the chance to get bitten like that, but when someone already has a bird, it doesn't serve any real purpose except to make the owner less trusting.
Hundreds of thousands of people go to the hospital for dog bites every year in the US alone, yet you don't see vets or rescues showing photos of dog attacks to every owner.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Dr. Tony plans to add info on how to avoid being bitten.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope they have success with their pamphlet :)

I really enjoy when you talk about the clinic. Your stories are wonderful.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Avian angel "G" is back as of early this AM. it was long flight home with 15 hour lay over in Rome. They will be happy to sleep in their own beds tonight. their first stop on the way home from the airport was the clinic, to get birds. because of the luggage, they only brought 3 home the first trip; Ralph, and the Sweet Tarts. needless to say Ralph was hyper happy to see Joe. only took gentle persuasion to get Ralph into the travel cage. The Sweet Tarts were super glad to see Allie too. "G" called and asked if I want to go get the rest, Missy, Gypsy and the Buzzer. we got to the clinic just in time to have coffee (not me, I am allergic) and home-made cranberry /walnut bread. the birds join all of us. Gypsy was sitting with me the whole time, I think I found a new friend. @JLcribber are U2's always so cuddly?? she was under my chin and rubbing her head all over my hands. we got them all in their travel crates and into the car with blankets over their cages. we will go back tomorrow to clean cages and the bird room of all the feather dust. The TAG is still there and not happy about it either. he has E collar on because he barbering his feathers down to the skin. poor little guy.
Their trip to Romania was good, "G" got to visit with her family that she hasn't seen since she was 18 years old. they also visited several orphanages in the area. one of the orphanages is all children that were born severe birth defects, missing arms and legs, blind, deaf. they are left on the road to the orphanage. there is no idea who their parents are or why they were abandoned.. she said the buildings are in horrible shape, drafty, little heat, old rusty cribs with no mattresses, no indoor plumbing, kitchen that is just grubby dirty. they had sent cleaning supplies, bedding, clothes, medical supplies, some school books, diapers, toys and stuffed toys ahead of their trip for the orphanages. "G" said that Allie really got to learn some very valuable lessons, to how lucky she really is. and even thought she had no internet or cell phone service over there, she has place to live and parents that love her dearly. she took a lot of pictures and is going to share them with her school and church group.
the birds were glad to get home too. into their own room and cages.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
@JLcribber are U2's always so cuddly??
That's why they call them "Velcro" birds. They'll suck up as much as give them. So people give them too much. Which comes back to haunt them.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Those orphanages sounds awful :(

But I'm glad they are back home safe!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
will be leaving this afternoon to clean the bird room. hopefully there will be only 3 to 5 people and no birds. we get so much more done without fidlets hanging on to us. I'm hoping to get some time with the TAG and help him.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
home early from cage cleaning. Dr. Barb had most of it done by the time we got there. there was only 4 of us there Dr. Barb "G", Nick and myself.
Sorry for the rant:
"G" brought the I phone and tablet that they took pictures with. I am still in tears:crycry: from some of those pictures of the orphanages. My God how can people be so cruel to orphans. these children are the unwanted results of so many things, radiation from Chernobyl power plant blowing up. radiation doesn't just affect one little spot it spreads all over the place and into the food chain and blood of those affected. I guess the harshest thing for me was the buildings, just concrete block building with no windows and cheap tin roof that you can see holes in it. these children never get outside light from window. they don't go to school, they have no playground, they get fed gruel 2 meals a day. they have very little for clothing and 90% are not toilet trained. "G" said the smell was worse then outhouse in the hot summer months. the directress to this orphanage didn't want them to even go past the administration building, because they had not made appointment to see the children. "G" explained in Romanian that they would not leave the supplies until they saw the children. Apparently you have to make appointments so they can clean up their mess b/4 the guests arrive. Allie was instantly sick to her stomach seeing this horror. I would have been too. "G" distracted the head of this horror show so Allie could take pictures with her I phone and small tablet. they tour the so called kitchen in a small tin shack, dirty dishes piled to the rafters in places, bugs everywhere, no refrigeration for meat, veggies, fruit. "G" said the only nice building in the whole place was the administration building, it was heated, with plumbing, and windows.
"G" will be turning these pictures over to human rights groups plus her church that supposedly funds this orphanage.
Rant off.