• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Astro and Eva welcome you to Vasa View

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Vasalot

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bryan Greenfarb
Astro and Eva came to us last week from California. They were in an outside aviary. They are a four year old proven breeding pair and they have not mated this year. He is ready to go - she is not. He bounces around the cage all day long singing and yelling. She chills in her nest box all day ignoring him and coming out only for food and drink and an occasional exercise bout. Greater Vasa's normally lay around 3 eggs and amazingly they hatch in 17 to 20 days leaning toward the 17. They look like baby raptors when they are born. They also have a unique mating ritual - which I will explain in a later post - but needless to say it can go on for 45 minutes. Ladies and gentlemen new to this forum I introduce you to Astro and Eva (PS - that is not poop in her nest box it is Eucalyptus leaves from her California cage):

029.jpg 031.jpg 032.jpg 036.jpg 037.jpg 041.jpg 039.jpg 043.jpg

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They are both beautiful vasas! Matt

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Nothing like a happy couple :)

Featherluv

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Stefanie
Wow they are magnificent!! I've never seen those before. Wishing you lots of birdie lovin ;)

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
Aren't the females generally bald and yellow about the time they're ready to mate?

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
They're beautiful.
I'm so excited for their possible babies. :3

Sir Vasalot

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bryan Greenfarb
Yes - that is why I am a bit scared. He is ready to go and she is not even balding, turning yellow or orange headed, or getting oil - the three signs she is ready. We shall all see together! We have only had them a week so if this year we learn and next year there is more luck then so be it.

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
I would not expect the birds to be ready to breed so soon after transport/rehoming. For some parrots (depending on the individual), it takes months to settle in properly. They are gorgeous birds, but due to stress I would not see them reproducing until next breeding season.

Status
Not open for further replies.