• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Asking Advise on "feeding Linnie's"

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Hi, my babies are about 5 months old. I've had them since just after Christmas. I've been putting into TWO separate feeding dishes, each dish gets (measured) 2 TBSP. Mazuri Small Bird Diet "pellets" and (measured) 1 Tbsp. Higgins Safflower Gold natural blend seed mix. Besides this I put in each day Romaine, carrots, ect. whatever I have available usually one fruit too. They eat everything EXCEPT they leave the pellets everyday mostly untouched. Should I give 2Tblsp. seed and only 1 Tblsp pellets?? I want to be sure they are getting enough to eat. Your advise is most welcome! Thank you, in advance! :) Pat

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think you are overfeeding. It's like if you give a child a buffet - its full of fruits, veggies, and deserts. They will eat the deserts first, then the fruits, and leave the veggies. Each quaker (about 100-110g each, not sure how much your linnies weigh) will actually EAT 1 tbsp of pellet, 2 nutriberries or 1/2 tsp of seed, and about 1-2 tbsp of chop a day. Birds only will eat about 10-15% of their body weight in a day. If you increase their seed amount there is no incentive to eat the pellets, as they get to fill up on less nutritious options first.

Try feeding just pellets in the morning for an hour or two before you add any seeds in. See if that encourages them to eat the pellets :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Its possible they do not like the brand of pellets. I would call the companies and ask for samples, Harrisons extra small and Roudybush nibbles. That is what my Linnies ate. I did mix the pellets with their seed blend.

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
I think you are overfeeding. It's like if you give a child a buffet - its full of fruits, veggies, and deserts. They will eat the deserts first, then the fruits, and leave the veggies. Each quaker (about 100-110g each, not sure how much your linnies weigh) will actually EAT 1 tbsp of pellet, 2 nutriberries or 1/2 tsp of seed, and about 1-2 tbsp of chop a day. Birds only will eat about 10-15% of their body weight in a day. If you increase their seed amount there is no incentive to eat the pellets, as they get to fill up on less nutritious options first.

Try feeding just pellets in the morning for an hour or two before you add any seeds in. See if that encourages them to eat the pellets :)
hahaha...Okay, so today I put in just their pellets, they ran over to eat and ate for a minute, then they started calling me and calling me. They've been calling for 45 minutes. It's like, "Hey, Mom, you forgot our seed!!" hahaha I usually don't give them the fresh stuff til I get home from work at 2:30. Maybe at noon today I'll break down and give them their seeds. I'm home on Spring Break this week. Thanks for the advise. Pat :)

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Its possible they do not like the brand of pellets. I would call the companies and ask for samples, Harrisons extra small and Roudybush nibbles. That is what my Linnies ate. I did mix the pellets with their seed blend.
Hi Dianne, Yes, I think you are right. It may be the brand. Next time I'm in town I may check out those brands and see if they like them better. Good to talk to you again, and thanks! :) Pat

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
That is a lot of food for your guys! It sounds like they know the pellets are food but they have enough other stuff that they're getting filled up. Try offering pellets first thing in the morning and give them a couple hours with them. Cut back the seed to 1/2 tbsp :)

It sounds like you're getting the right foods, you just need to adjust your quantity/ratio :)

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
That is a lot of food for your guys! It sounds like they know the pellets are food but they have enough other stuff that they're getting filled up. Try offering pellets first thing in the morning and give them a couple hours with them. Cut back the seed to 1/2 tbsp :)

It sounds like you're getting the right foods, you just need to adjust your quantity/ratio :)
Thanks Jenny, I've been just giving them the pellets only and they are eating them. I've been sick for a few days and not even giving any fresh foods to them as my cold is too bad, don't want to handle their food...ahhhchoo! Thanks for the advise :)