• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are your birds Clipped or Flighted

Are your birds Clipped or Flighted?

• Fully Flighted

• Clipped

• Some Clipped others Flighted

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

safehaven

Sprinting down the street
I doubt anyone in this thread or anyone on this forum is a "bad" owner.
Friends and relatives , non bird owners, laugh at me that I am a member of a " bird" forum. Those who have taken the time to join a bird forum are seeking knowledge on how to care for their birds and obviously are not "bad" owners. We then get down to debating about this and that and we all may do things a little different but I am confident no one here is a bad owner.

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Actually im a great owner so yes I should own birds its the people who obviously dont care as much as i do that shouldnt own birds.Maybe you shouldnt own birds how dare you say that to me a great owner.
Well now you know how you made others feel. Isnt a nice feeling eh? Beeing judged by a stranger who knows nothing about you. I hope it makes you think twice next time. Good night.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
Well now you know how you made others feel. Isnt a nice feeling eh? Beeing judged by a stranger who knows nothing about you. I hope it makes you think twice next time. Good night.
I didnt say anything to anyone nothing bad anyways.Dont even try start trouble.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I had not read any posts besides the first one prior to my first post. I didn't realize I had stepped into an argument.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
The best way to stop an argument is to stop participating. Stop replying and let the thread die, or ask a moderator to lock it.

Brandon's-Fids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Brandon
The never ending story! Always the same! And that's not me eating the cookies, it's Santa!

And the advice to stop replying was not to me! ;)
I never said it was to you everybody should stop replying.No way I can see its santa.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
As a child, I would clip my birds, my budgies. To tame them.

But I quickly phased that out, and I never clipped my birds again up until recently. I would clip my moms birds. I felt that it was necessary for HUMAN convenience. And lets face it, sometimes that is a very big and important requirement when keeping birds/parrots. Meeting human convenience. Wheeled chair people or those with medical issues cannot be expected to get out of their chairs and reach up 8ft to a window to retrieve their birds. Its impractical, silly and harsh. Let alone judgemental. Should these people not be parronts to parrots and other birds because they have medical issues? In many cases these owners are the best of owners out of us bird folk. They spend more time with their birds, and have pretty awesome set ups. They do the best they can, even if they clip their birds.

Then recently for myself, I had to clip Pinky. My galah x little corella hybrid cockatoo. He was flying at my others birds, and myself. And not only feared for my other bird's well being, but for my daughter too. My daughter is only 1.5 years old. I cannot ever let her be bitten. I would be ashamed and feel myself to be a bad mother. And I want her to grow up with my parrots and love them as I do, I cannot seclude them from her or her from them. So I clipped Pinky. 5 flights or so on each wing. He can still fly when he is up high, fly across the room. But when he is on the ground, he cannot fly higher than 3ft. This clip has thankfully stopped his dive bombing of myself and my other parrots. And he can remain C A G E F R E E. So for us, it was indeed a win win. Or he would be stuck in a cage for when I had time to let him out. I think a parrot would be ok being clipped if it was allowed to be cage free.

So I do think for human convenience, people can and should be allowed to clip their birds without judgment. I have come a long way to opening and broadening my mindset on things. 5 Years ago I would not have seen it this. Past posts may contradict me, but this is my mindset now.
:xflove: Sense and senseablity hala-u-ya!:dance4:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
We destroy rainforests so we can harvest cheap palmoils, we kill parrots by the thousants with pesticides because they eat our crops, is a wild and flying parrot really that much better off then a clipped parrot in our home, who has the benefit of the best possible care and love?

There's a difference between agreements and respect. Disagreeing with someone's view is one thing. Blatantly acusing them is a whole different thing, and very unrespectful. One should think, as parronts, we would above this "normal people" behaviour as we are supposed to be used to beeing the outcast, and looked upon. So lets not do that to "those of our own" that happen to view things differently.
:hug8::thanks:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I doubt anyone in this thread or anyone on this forum is a "bad" owner.
Friends and relatives , non bird owners, laugh at me that I am a member of a " bird" forum. Those who have taken the time to join a bird forum are seeking knowledge on how to care for their birds and obviously are not "bad" owners. We then get down to debating about this and that and we all may do things a little different but I am confident no one here is a bad owner.
:sunflower:Now this is better :cheer:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
:scared5:
You guys are like children :slapfight:
Does every clipping thread have to play out this way? Suzanne this is a sore topic, I'm sorry if you felt attacked but we're not all like this. Consider me a friend, you can chat with me anytime you like. We should put some limits on these topics, stuff like this always happens.
Thanks for the support, I appreciate your outreach :xflove:

Status
Not open for further replies.