• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are they bonding?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)

This is Pudge ( the darker one) and Burt (on the viewers left) - this just started today!

Previously, Pudge would work his way over to Burt’s cage to pick a fight and I’d have to intervene in the squabble. Today, I was watching as they got closer to each other, and it looked like… Well, it almost looks like Burt is asking Pudge to preen him, as Burt has some pin feathers on the back of his neck that are still in the sheath. There was a minor squabble, but overall…

Are they bonding??

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Here’s another:

And here’s one I’m very curious about - the way Burt is dancing back and forth along the perch? Pudge is DNA’d male, but I’m only going by what I’ve been told of Burt, as far as being male. What’s going on here? @Pixiebeak any ideas?

(Note: I didn’t clip Pudge, he came that way from a breeder)

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
They are bonding! Doing great@ some sparring is completely normal. Mine do this as well, then go back to preening.

And yes some mounting attempts. Doesn't mean they are opposite sex. As my female do to each other ..this is the lesser fall hormones time.

But new buddies can get over excited at any time if year. After newness wears off then mostly restricted to spring breeding season

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
don't be sad they very social and still love you. Frankly I don't think this species is monogamous! Mine love on and regurgitate and can try to mount everyone. Lol

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
How funny.

To add to the dynamic, Burt gets extra bitey with me if Pudge is there. His cage aggression amps WAY UP. I tried giving Pudge a scritch while Burt was next to him to try and show him human means affection, and Burt went right after me - but then Pudge went after him after Burt got me on my finger. Can a bird be protective of their person, or am I projecting a little anthropomorphism there?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Just keep caged separate at night and allow to be out of cage together anytime. But try not to let be in cage together as can lead to more cage aggressive to you.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
don't be sad they very social and still love you. Frankly I don't think this species is monogamous! Mine love on and regurgitate and can try to mount everyone. Lol
I don’t think Burt loves me at all :roflmao: I think he just knows I’m the source of food haha

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Just keep caged separate at night and allow to be out of cage together anytime. But try not to let be in cage together as can lead to more cage aggressive to you.
Yeah I’ve been watching that. Pudge doesn’t go into Burt’s cage, but that perch is on top of it, so still part of Bitey McBiteface’s domain.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Lol I posted responses before your last update.
Yes that can happen. Just don't let them get lovey in cage. Lovey out if cage doesn't seem to trigger any if that with mine.

All if mine are cage protection Rottweilers! Step out if cage snug bugs. So I just have them come out before I do any cage stuff or interaction.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Just keep spending lots if time with Burt . And lot if time with both on you. My 2 bonded Pikachu and Phoebe allow me to join in on preening and kisses.
Pikachu and Penny SNEAK OFF for cuddling and try and hide.
Phoebe and Penny do casual loving.

Never underestimate the power if hand feeding treats , lots if times a day

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Can they be people protective/possessive? This time Burt flew over and landed on my head, which is getting to be a regular interaction, but this time Pudge had a meltdown over it. That, coupled with Pudge starting a scuffle over Burt biting me is interesting.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I don't have experience with that in my 4. But if I was giving attention to one , they all end up on me wanting attention.

When my Phoebe was fearful of me and hands, she hadn't yet bonded with the others. They could all be a few inches apart and hung out and did stuff together. But she didn't start preening the other 2 for a year....
When I added Pikachu she adored Penny right away and followed her everywhere but still was loves with me .
When I added Penny , Neptune was very interested and could sneak a few kisses. But both still love to me ..
It's still early days in your flock dynamic. I think fantastic that they like each other. And important for you to be part of that. Just more time earning Burts trust. Took me several months to earn Phoebe trust. Now she very loving

Parrots are each such unique individuals, with their own timeline

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
It can help using the friendly one to model behavior for the other.

If both together on top of csge ask nice one to step up give lots if praise and treat ham it up. But back on cage and ask Burt to step up. If he won't ok ask sweet one to do again and really make over. Often that's all it takes for the other to want in on this action!

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
They are very cute! I don't know Quakers very well so its hard for me to really weigh in. But I have seen one bird seems to be more needy than other in pairs. Burt seems like the needy one to me. He strike as "love the one you're with" type ;) Where Padge is more picky than that.

And squabbling is pretty normal too. Hopefully as they as learn to read each other cues and body language it will be better and happen less and be less intense too. :)

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Can they be people protective/possessive? This time Burt flew over and landed on my head, which is getting to be a regular interaction, but this time Pudge had a meltdown over it. That, coupled with Pudge starting a scuffle over Burt biting me is interesting.
Mine act just like that. If my husband kisses Eva, Wally will go over and just insert himself in between them. Or he will yell at my husband. Sometimes Wally will bite me and Eva will give him a nip or yell and flap at him. And unfortunately, Wally is cage aggressive, only when he’s in there. He always has been. Ever since he moved out of the brooder into his cage. When he is out of the cage, he is fine with me in there, changing stuff around. He actually seems to enjoy it because he likes his cage switch ups. Eva can care less, she doesn’t have any cage aggression at all. She knows that hand in cage means triangle treats, food, water, or I’m letting them out. I try to discourage it by always letting them hop into my hand to come out and positive interactions but I mostly ignore him and avoid his nips.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Mine act just like that. If my husband kisses Eva, Wally will go over and just insert himself in between them. Or he will yell at my husband. Sometimes Wally will bite me and Eva will give him a nip or yell and flap at him. And unfortunately, Wally is cage aggressive, only when he’s in there. He always has been. Ever since he moved out of the brooder into his cage. When he is out of the cage, he is fine with me in there, changing stuff around. He actually seems to enjoy it because he likes his cage switch ups. Eva can care less, she doesn’t have any cage aggression at all. She knows that hand in cage means triangle treats, food, water, or I’m letting them out. I try to discourage it by always letting them hop into my hand to come out and positive interactions but I mostly ignore him and avoid his nips.
I wish I could avoid Burt and his cage aggression :roflmao: I call him Burt the Buttmunch for good reason. Changing anything in his cage is a lesson in active avoidance - he chases my hands all over to try and take a chunk out of me. Little turd is mean about it. But we’re making baby-step progress. He lands on my head (although I still can’t touch him).

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I wish I could avoid Burt and his cage aggression :roflmao: I call him Burt the Buttmunch for good reason. Changing anything in his cage is a lesson in active avoidance - he chases my hands all over to try and take a chunk out of me. Little turd is mean about it. But we’re making baby-step progress. He lands on my head (although I still can’t touch him).
Autocorrect started changing Burt to Butt yet? My autocorrect does :laugh: it gets them words mixed up a lot!

Burt is just starting to get a bit bossy and funny about me touching things on and in his cage again and certain toys are a def cranky trigger for him. We are working on it- I do not wish to be chased about and targeted by the flying moody bolt cutters this summer so we are trying to stop it from building up.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Autocorrect started changing Burt to Butt yet? My autocorrect does :laugh: it gets them words mixed up a lot!

Burt is just starting to get a bit bossy and funny about me touching things on and in his cage again and certain toys are a def cranky trigger for him. We are working on it- I do not wish to be chased about and targeted by the flying moody bolt cutters this summer so we are trying to stop it from building up.
Not butt (yet) but if I’m using voice to text it’s always Bert :roflmao:

Yeah his beak isn’t as big as your Burt’s beak, but it’s still dang pointy and I’ve gotten a few good pinches lol. The DONT GET BIT game is not my favorite haha

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Well this is a new one. Is Burt trying to get Pudge to mount him?

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian

This is Pudge ( the darker one) and Burt (on the viewers left) - this just started today!

Previously, Pudge would work his way over to Burt’s cage to pick a fight and I’d have to intervene in the squabble. Today, I was watching as they got closer to each other, and it looked like… Well, it almost looks like Burt is asking Pudge to preen him, as Burt has some pin feathers on the back of his neck that are still in the sheath. There was a minor squabble, but overall…

Are they bonding??
Awesome job! You're doing a great job! :wideyed: