• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Are these seizures?

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Hello, I have been raising some baby pineapple conures and one has been acting erratic. I have raised up hundreds of babies and none of them acted this way. Got a vet checkup and nothing is wrong with him/her, healthwise.

I got two baby conures to raise up for someone. They are now at weaning age and I unfortunately have to separate them because one of the babies randomly attacks the other, and I don’t mean just normal teasing, I mean full on jumping on the other and holding on. This baby does it to me too, I would be going in for a feed or socialization time and the baby would just start attacking my hand while attacking it’s own wings.

baby also seems very wobbly and clumsy for their age, would trip a lot. Also they both are starting to flap their wings to fledge, but when this baby does it, he would start attacking his own wings and roll around on the ground.

vet says there’s nothing wrong with him and they can’t help me. Is the baby just itchy and getting frustrated? I unfortunately can’t trust him around other birds as he is very unpredictable.

here is a pic of mid roll over in the weaning cage, perches are down low and i put towels all over because of how wobbly he is.
IMG_0834.jpeg

Diveks

Walking the driveway
IMG_0835.jpeg
Another pic, after these “episodes” he goes back to normal like nothing happened

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
A video of what you’re seeing might be of help for those who might be able to help in any way. You can attach a link from YouTube, fb, instagram etc

Diveks

Walking the driveway
A video of what you’re seeing might be of help for those who might be able to help in any way. You can attach a link from YouTube, fb, instagram etc
Sure ill try to record, It's a bit hard to record him during

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie

Diveks

Walking the driveway
@Diveks I'm just brainstorming here but I wonder if it could be stargazing?
Without seeing a video I'm only guessing at the actual symptoms you are seeing.

An Overview of Stargazing (Head Twirling) in Parrots

this link lists some other potential causes of similar symptoms
Sick Bird Symptoms: Circling, Head Twisting, Unnatural Head Positioning

Is it something like this behavior? This ws referred to in THIS AA POST
Oh no that might be it, forgot to rule out stargazing.
It unfortunately it seems like a milder version of what is happening in the video. He is falling off perches and platforms whenever it happens. I don't think this is due to any sort of sickness though, this has been happening since the day the baby is in my hands. He is healthy and alert other than the loss of balance, everything is normal. Will have to monitor. I am hoping it improves as he ages, he is unable to even lift off a tiny bit off of the ground (flying wise) so I don't think I will be letting him out in the aviary any time soon. I was raising this baby up for someone so I will have to inform them of this issue.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Oh no that might be it, forgot to rule out stargazing.
It unfortunately it seems like a milder version of what is happening in the video. He is falling off perches and platforms whenever it happens. I don't think this is due to any sort of sickness though, this has been happening since the day the baby is in my hands. He is healthy and alert other than the loss of balance, everything is normal. Will have to monitor. I am hoping it improves as he ages, he is unable to even lift off a tiny bit off of the ground (flying wise) so I don't think I will be letting him out in the aviary any time soon. I was raising this baby up for someone so I will have to inform them of this issue.
The article lists some possible remedies if started soon enough.
It would be a good thing to discuss with your vet. There's no harm in checking or implementing any of them.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
The article lists some possible remedies if started soon enough.
It would be a good thing to discuss with your vet. There's no harm in checking or implementing any of them.
Unfortunately we don’t really have avian specific vets here. They are usually just exotic animal vets. While i find that they do good with surgeries and diseases. with neurological issues they said they couldn’t help much if it is not from viruses or diseases. And yes I have taken the baby to the vet, nothing seems out of the ordinary other than the stargazing. I am currently weaning the baby into a healthy fresh food and pelleted diet. Im hoping that will improve his health in the long term.