• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are these cat-repellents bird safe?

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
So, as I have said before, I have a couple of cats and am planning on adopting some birds. Because if the cats, I was about to purchase a couple of cat repellents so they wouldn't get too close to the bird cage. However, I'm not sure if either one effects birds! Does anyone know if these two items are bird-safe??

Amazon.com : PetSafe SSSCAT Spray Pet Deterrent, Motion Activated Pet Proofing Repellent for Cats and Dogs, Environmentally Friendly : Pet Supplies

and

Amazon.com : Catscram Electronic Cat Repellent : Sonic Pet Repellents : Pet Supplies

And before anyone says this, just so this thread is on-topic: I am aware that cats are dangerous to birds. I have this situation planned out very carefully. Please do not comment about having cats with birds, thank you.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
I have cats and birds but my birds are in my bedroom with the door closed and the cats aren't allowed in. Would that be a Viable option for you?

Cats have a high prey drive so a repellent would be ineffective if the cats instincts take over( even if they are well fed). I would not feel safe with sprays around birds as they are so sensitive.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Cats have a high prey drive so a repellent would be ineffective if the cats instincts take over( even if they are well fed). I would not feel safe with sprays around birds as they are so sensitive.

Agree with you. My kitty was with me for 16 years and so were all the birds. Close supervision and putting her in a closed room when birds were out was my control.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Canned air can have some stuff in it that isn't good to breathe so I'm unsure.

The 2nd one is hard to know how the bird would react. They have sonic emitters for birds too and it could sound like an alarm call to them which may stress them out

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
How many cats do you have?

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
yikes! DIdn't see that on the page! It was reccommended to me on a site for keeping cats away from birds

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
To be clear, the cats (there are 2) would never be out when the birds are out of their cage. I don't want to re-explain why the cats and birds would sometimes be in the same room when i'm home (in seperate rooms when i'm not around), because there was a kind of long explanation for that in a different thread of mine. So, as I asked, please do not comment about why I shouldn't have cats and birds in the same room. I don't mean to sound rude, because I know that every one of you lovely people are just trying to be kind, but I currently am working out a solution. Thank you. Does anyone know about cat repellents that won't hurt the birdies? (thanks for the help!! I really don't want to accidentally hurt a bird while trying to keep them safe!) :hug8:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
There are sonic repellents you can use. I used that type to keep the cats from jumping up on the counter. They are not only safe, but very effective too.

BirbBrains

Strolling the yard
Do you know of any super specific ones that won't hurt birds? I don't want the birds to be scared

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I will look it the manufacturer up for you, BB, I know I got it from a catalog. As I recall it didn't bother any of my birds. It was advertised for cats, so I guess different animals are more sensitive to certain sounds than others.

Max83

Walking the driveway
I wouldn't use them, safe or not, (I don't believe they are so good even for people to breath).

like others users said I'm pretty sure they can't stop a cat in a prey drive mood!

I own a dog and I keep my birds in a separate bird room when they are out of cage, or on my shoulder when the dog is out in the garden.

Don't risk your bird's life, keep the cats in separated rooms or together in the same room with very close supervision but ONLY IF birds are INSIDE cage, cats are very fast and can jump high. Claws can enter from cage bars and hurt birds.

Good if you find something safe..keep us update, good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: Jas