• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Are There Any Reputable YNA Breeders?

SkyDancer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren Elizabeth
We are all heartbroken. We had our beloved Grinchie only a couple of weeks, and she made a huge impact in our lives. Our daughter LOVED her. She would get so excited to see her every morning and she had bonded to me so much already. We got her from a breeder down in Atlanta, Georgia. We were told it was a reputable breeder. When we went to pick Grinchie up, she was in a car with 60 other birds headed to a convention. She was diagnosed right after coming home with an URI which just kept getting worse. She had been to our vet 3x in the couple of weeks we had her. We were spending every minute around the clock nursing her back to health, and now she's gone. She died in my arms.

I am hoping the breeder will do something to make it right. They said they will see about getting me "some money," but I don't have high hopes here. This whole situation is devastating, and our beloved bird is gone. I would like to get another YNA but I am so hesitant now, as I don't want another horrible experience. I have worked with rescued birds most of my life, and would really like a baby and it would need to be a DNA'd girl.

Is there anyone here who can point us in the right direction? I don't trust anything online anymore.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no I'm so very sorry for your loss. You did everything you could for her. Let me tag @BrianB and @melissasparrots they may have trusted breeder contacts.
@expressmailtome any ideas of a reputable breeder?

SkyDancer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren Elizabeth
I just reached out to someone who seemed reputable but did not have any babies when we spoke previously (and won't for the rest of this year). This guy we got Grinchie from is well-known. Apparently, he had a sibling who died from psittacosis. That explains why I was originally told he had 2 babies to choose from and all of a sudden only had 1. This other guy just sent me these pictures of the environment Grinchie came from (I did not see it, as we met him in a public place).

I want to throw up. I am so incredibly angry. This looks like the exact kind of environment our vet suspected he probably came from.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am very sorry for your loss. Too many people breed solely for profit and not because they really care about the birds.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very sorry for your loss of Grinchie. If those are really photos of that breeder's place that is absolutely horrendous.
If it's not that breeder's but someone else's it is still horrendous.
So sad to see something like that.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I’m sorry for your loss. Did you lose your baby today? If so it would be a good idea to have a necropsy done. If the baby died from a disease acquired from the breeders they should refund all of your money. Some breeders will require you take a new bird to a vet within 48 hours of purchase to uphold a health guarantee. You did that so get copies of those reports from your vet and hit him up for a full refund ( in a nice way). Do not accept another baby from him under any other circumstances. 60 other birds in his car? That should’ve been a red flag. I hope in time you will find what you’re looking for. Take your time and go with a fully weaned baby eating well on its own. Do know this though… when this species mature sexually (age4-5) they can become agressive, even if you’ve had them since they were babies.

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
So sorry you had to go through this. Bird mill breeders are so frustrating. My condolences for your loss. :sorrow:

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Those pictures make my skin crawl. It's disgusting. Not fit for humans, let alone animals.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that is breeding amazons. No one seems to be breeding them here in Arizona, and if they are, they aren't selling them. A breeder from Florida told me to not buy amazons from anyone in Texas unless you get references and talk to previous buyers. It was suggested that there are amazons being smuggled across the border into Texas and sold on the cheap. They are not being disease tested and many of them arrive stressed and infected. I tend to take all of those kinds of statements with a grain of salt, but there is no harm in being cautious. When it comes to birds, it always holds true. If it seems too good to be true, then it probably is...

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
I just reached out to someone who seemed reputable but did not have any babies when we spoke previously (and won't for the rest of this year). This guy we got Grinchie from is well-known. Apparently, he had a sibling who died from psittacosis. That explains why I was originally told he had 2 babies to choose from and all of a sudden only had 1. This other guy just sent me these pictures of the environment Grinchie came from (I did not see it, as we met him in a public place).

I want to throw up. I am so incredibly angry. This looks like the exact kind of environment our vet suspected he probably came from.
I am so very sorry that you lost your baby!

Is the breeder going to give you a refund?

If you have the proper information on this breeder I would turn him in to the local humane society where he lives. Show them these pictures and tell them your story, tell them the Vet you saw too. It might take some time, they might need more complaints but in time he will get what he has coming!

I wouldn't stop there either, I would contact your states Attorney General and ask about the Consumer Protection Laws, to see if they extend to parrots.

Sorry.... I am NOT a go away quietly into the night kind of girl! People like him should not be allowed to buy pet food much less own a pet and he breeds them! WOW!

You might try contacting the Animal Legal Defense Fund, just to see if they can offer any advise or wisdom. It never hurts to ask.

Aviphile

Real Name
DeeDee
Those pictures make my skin crawl. It's disgusting. Not fit for humans, let alone animals.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone that is breeding amazons. No one seems to be breeding them here in Arizona, and if they are, they aren't selling them. A breeder from Florida told me to not buy amazons from anyone in Texas unless you get references and talk to previous buyers. It was suggested that there are amazons being smuggled across the border into Texas and sold on the cheap. They are not being disease tested and many of them arrive stressed and infected. I tend to take all of those kinds of statements with a grain of salt, but there is no harm in being cautious. When it comes to birds, it always holds true. If it seems too good to be true, then it probably is...
The trafficking of parrot into and out of Mexico has been a problem forever! Amazon's smuggled into Texas and Cockatoos smuggled into Mexico. I have a friend that works for Border Patrol, the stories!

I don't know this guy personally but I have heard good things about him and his birds. He breeds Great Green Macaws and he is a member of the AFA that is a plus for me, I have been a member for years.

haze

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam

Agreed- many of the Amazons here in Texas are brought over the border or are directly related to smuggled wild-caught birds, so they have all kinds of issues and you have no idea of their history. These birds end up in hobbyist breeding programs here as well so lots of Texas-bred amazons have unknown genetic backgrounds. I also agree that Avalon is good. Honestly it seems like YNA breeding has greatly decreased in recent years which interests me because at least in Texas, they used to be extremely common pets! Unsure why there was a decrease lately. Anyway, I am so so sorry that you had to go through this kind of situation. I hope you are able to find a new healthy family member when you are ready.